• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Wedding ring on/off while training?

Ya i work with electronics and high voltage, i've seen enough videos and pictures to deter me from wearing my ring.

Mine is small and so tight I can't get it off with using soap so I just leave it on and there has never been a problem.

I'm not, have never been, and almost certainly never will be married but if I was I wouldn't wear it to training - I've heard of some nasty injuries from wearing wedding rings, especially if they're slightly too small. The below image, for example:

tn_charonboat_dot_com_wedding_ring_finger_trauma.jpg

:eek:

I take it off. Because it MAY scratch someone. Similar to how I trim my toenails and fingernails because they MAY scratch someone. It's just a general rule.

Same with girls and wearing metal hairclips or bobby pins in their hair. Are those guaranteed to do damage? No - but they might.

Is it the biggest deal in the world? No - probably not.

I - like some others, slip it onto my keyring before training. That way I don't lose it by having it loose in a bag somewhere. Since I don't go home without my keys, I don't go home without my wedding ring.

My match was stopped this weekend and the ref had me take my wedding ring off. I've never even thought about taking it off before in training or competition.

Take it off. I follow Budo Jake on instagram. He busted his finger and had to have his ring cut off because the swelling was cutting off his circulation.

Also, if you're rolling hard, a quick grab at a guy's elbow or ankle can cause your ring to hit your partner pretty hard. It won't injure them, but it will hurt like the dickens.

IMO, take it off.

i only take mine off when training bjj and weightlifting.

theres a photo out there of a finger skinned down to the bone. ive heard it was a freak weight training accident but i dont know. its a quick google find. wont post it here because it. is. gnarly.

Thank goodness for the internet. Those poor fuckers in the google results to "wedding ring finger trauma" had to learn this lesson for themselves. All we have to do is not be obtuse.

Not married, I don't see how your plain gold band could really hurt me but I can see a few ways how it could hurt the person wearing it.

I wouldn't.

Get a caribena so you can put it on and off quickly without scratching the hell out of it.

When I'm rolling w/ someone who's married, I don't go for north/south position out of respect for their wife.

But if I don't see a ring, it's game on :wink:

I generally take it off before I head to the gym, had it slide off a few times during rolls and my wife would murder me if it got lost.

I generally take it off before I head to the gym, had it slide off a few times during rolls and my wife would murder me if it got lost.

I seriously bought 2 when we got married. I lose shit and I didn't want to hear the "oh you lost it so you don't have to wear it until you get a new one!"

Still have the original though.

There are stories of freak accidents involving everything known to man. The only thing my simple band causes is a huge callus from doing pull-ups every day. I do have a bling ring wedding band that is way to big and edgy to be rolling with but that's my dress up nice ring.

If it's not that easy to remove and put back on, tape it up. You should be concerned you could hurt yourself, not just those you roll with.

I wouldn't worry about hurting anyone if it's a plain band, but all you need to do is jam your finger and have it swell up for there to be a problem. I know more than one person that had to get a ring cut off at the hospital because they injured their finger and had it swell up.

Grappling is the perfect cover for an affair, take your wedding ring off, get scratches and various marks, taking showers, etc.

except when your wife hates jiu jitsu more than she hates you trying to get strange ass.......

When I'm rolling w/ someone who's married, I don't go for north/south position out of respect for their wife.

But if I don't see a ring, it's game on :wink:

And they say grappling isn't gay . . . :icon_lol:

I just take it off and put it in my pocket before changing into my gi.

Back