Wearing t-shirt under gi?

C

chokingvictim

Probably 1/3 of the guys I train with wear a t-shirt under their gi, but one of the guys (sort of a beginner, green belt/intermediate white belt) mentioned that it's actually better not to wear the t-shirt or your sides can get all caloused.
Has anyone found this to be true? There is only one guy (just started a few weeks ago) that wears a tight-fitting rash guard shirt, but nobody else bothers. Has anyone found that those shirts actually help? And if I'm only training 3 days a week, for about 2 hrs each time, should I even worry about it?

I'll wear a rash guard or a t-shirt, but I feel much better with those meshy breathable, moisture-wicking tops

I don't think it matters a great deal one way or the other. I've gotten into the habit of wearing a school t-shirt that's maybe a size too small under my gi jacket just because I feel more comfortable that way.

I wear t-shirts under gi for past 2 years, but I have begun to wonder why I keep ruining my t shirts by making them disgustingly sweat and sweat-stain infected which begins to take a toll on my t-shirts even of course washing after every use. I've been considering changing courses in this regard.

Under Armour...if you get the tshirt under armour it'll fit right below your gi plus its tight and hard for people to grab and it will make you cooler in a hot room

Ive tried wearing tshirts underneath my gi but i get so hot i feel like i'm going to pass out. I think I have i high body temperature or something

I wore a t-shirt when I first started and didn't have any problems other than it being really hot with a gi on. I switched to under armour and haven't looked back since.

I always wear a tank-top under my Gi, but I don't sweat that badly.

I thinking wearing shirts or rashguards underneath is a good thing (though I don't care either way); less sweat dripping on me. That's one of my favorite things about training with the Gi. Less sweaty bodies, less chance of ringworm.

I have never worn anything under my gi. It would make me too hot and going shirtless under your gi for some reasone gives me better sense of where someone is grabbing onto it.

shirtless all the way

I never wear a shirt under my gi...just got used to it. But I've always thought I've trying one of those under armour rash guards.

I thought it was against the IBJJF rules to wear a shirt under the gi in competition, too?

Often I'll wear shorts and a shirt under my akido gi or judo gi to get a better workout. Other times I'll wear shorts under my judo gi pants because I lost weight and they don't fit right! (Yes, I use both for BJJ and not Akido or Judo... long, boring story.)

I wear rash guards and shorts at every class under my gi. It mainly because half the class wears a gi and the other doesn't. So come time to roll Im shedding clothing off and throwing it back on depending on who chooses to roll with me. But I think having a rash guard/under armor is far better than a t-shirt. The few times I wore a t-shirt they got ripped from people trying for collar chokes, and accidentally grabbing the collars on the t with it.

well the heating is fucked at my academy so we all wear jumpers and thermals under our gis

I love my rashguard. Say goodbye to gi burn forever.

chokingvictim said:
Probably 1/3 of the guys I train with wear a t-shirt under their gi, but one of the guys (sort of a beginner, green belt/intermediate white belt) mentioned that it's actually better not to wear the t-shirt or your sides can get all caloused.
caloused? that is absolutly untrue.

i wear a shirt under my gi.

a few months ago we were doing guard drills. i had half guard on this fat guy who had a gi and no shirt on. i was balled up on my side and looking t go out the back. he puts his weight on me to stop me. putting his weight on me invoved his fat, sweaty belly smothering my face. it was so nasty i opened my guard and shimped out to pass my guard for him. i wish he had a shirt on under his gi.

under armour is the shiznit, about half my class wears it. Any difference on whether you guys prefer the tight kind like what would go under football pads or the looser kind thats more like a t-shirt. I somewhat prefer the looser kind since it seems to breathe a little better, but either one's better than a t-shirt.

EDIT:
DirectDrive said:
caloused? that is absolutly untrue.

i wear a shirt under my gi.

a few months ago we were doing guard drills. i had half guard on this fat guy who had a gi and no shirt on. i was balled up on my side and looking t go out the back. he puts his weight on me to stop me. putting his weight on me invoved his fat, sweaty belly smothering my face. it was so nasty i opened my guard and shimped out to pass my guard for him. i wish he had a shirt on under his gi.

That's fucking gross. The only thing worse is getting a face-full of sweaty chest hair.

NJCarder said:
Under Armour...if you get the tshirt under armour it'll fit right below your gi plus its tight and hard for people to grab and it will make you cooler in a hot room

Under Armour, god's gift to man! I swear it works wonders. I wear it all the time when I did MA, and now I wear it out the sandbox, it's great.

I think underarmor sucks. My opinion though from playing football with it and it's suckiness. Anyways, I always have to wear a rashguard or else I feel too naked sometimes.

Back