• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Weakest Champ since Ping?

BowserJr

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong. Ping was a good fighter but no one really disputes that his win was a little lucky and that it was a travesty to have him defend against an aging top 15 fighter and retired WW.

Sean is decent. Reminds of Nick Diaz without the grappling.

Does anyone really think he'd beat any of these guys when they were top 10

Silva
Machida
Romero
Wiedman
Rockhold
Vitor
Jacare
Hendo
Franklin
Bustamante
Marquardt
Bisping

I dont even see him getting past the likes of Sonnen, Okami or Kennedy

Costa probably KOs him
Bo and Khamzat grapple fuck him

Shit I could even see MW Robbie Lawler KO him

When you look at it like that you realize Izzys reign wwas over a weaker division than the Silva era

Let's give him a chance to prove himself. I think this is the best Sean has ever looked. Everything is coming together for him now... pressure, distance control, legkick defense. Let's see if he's a one hit wonder or he can keep it up.

When you look at it like that you realize Izzys reign wwas over a weaker division than the Silva era

I've always looked at it like that.

Even Robert Whittaker, as much as everyone likes him, is basically a scrub.

Rob Whittaker is elite AT NOTHING.

When you look at fighters like Khabib, Pereira, etc. ... they literally have no peer in certain (or multiple) areas.

They also come to fight. Not run & hide, evade, move.

Anderson Silva had all the movement in the world, the technique, etc.

And Silva was a fighter, a killer.
He wanted to end the fight, whether it be by KO, or submission.
Silva took risks, and got incredible highlight reels because of his skill + desire to finish.

By contrast, Izzy would rather run and hide.
He basically only has 3 to 4 KO's on his highlight reel.

Unfortunately, he has just as many "non-highlight reels" where he is literally running from his opponent.

That is not the stuff of which legends are made.

Last edited:
Silva
Machida
Romero
Wiedman
Rockhold
Vitor
Jacare
Hendo
Franklin
Bustamante
Marquardt
Bisping

The Strickster would run right through all of those guys.

A few of them I'd give a chance in a 3 rounder, but not over 5 rounds. Could you imagine how gassed guys like Chris, Romero, and ROckhold would be after a couple rounds with the champ?

No respect for Strickland, just beat the new supposed GOAT with ease. He is tough as nails, great defense, amazing jab and slick boxing, but the most important thing is Colby level endurance. He could hold his own with plenty of those guys.
Silva loses to him
Machida Probably loses but Machida was a better LHW was never that dominant at MW
Romero Could see Romero gassing or losing by decision, 50/50 fight
Wiedman 50/50 fight Strickland could easily outpoint him
Rockhold Rockhold gasses most likely have Strickland favored.
Vitor Gasses have Strickland slightly favored.
Jacare Have Strickland favored
Hendo Prime Hendo would be favored but could get outpointed
Franklin Close fight, Strickland might take him to deep water.
Bustamante Strickland favored
Marquardt Strickland too durable for him.
Bisping Good fight could go either way, both great endurance.

Well he just thoroughly outstruck Izzy over 5 rounds. And nobody in a million years though he could do that. So its certainly within the realm of possibility that he could beat several of the guys that you listed if he put together a similar performance. I don't think it's fair to compare him to Bisping who won the title at the end of his career and did it with a flash KO. Sean just won the title in his prime and did it with a complete 5 round performance over a dominant champ.

I've always looked at it like that.

Even Robert Whittaker, as much as everyone likes him, is basically a scrub.

Rob Whittaker is elite AT NOTHING.

When you look at fighters like Khabib, Pereira, etc. ... they literally have no peer in certain (or multiple) areas.

They also come to fight. Not run & hide, evade, move.

Anderson Silva had all the movement in the world, the technique, etc.

But Silva was a fighter, a killer.

He wanted to end the fight, whether it be by KO, or submission.

Silva took risks, and got incredible highlight reels because of his skill + desire to finish.

By contrast, Izzy would rather run and hide.
He basically only has 3 to 4 KO's on his highlight reel.

Unfortunately, he has just as many "non-highlight reels" where he is literally running from his opponent.

That is not the stuff of which legends are made.

I agree with everything except Rob to a certain degree.

He is fairly close to elite with striking but his style and reach plays perfectly for Izzy.

Overall Rob is much better skilled than Izzy. With all their shared opponents Rob looked way more dominant. Maybe he got hit a bit more but he brought it to those opponents and went at them the whole fight

Sean would get KOed by Rob

Let's give him a chance to prove himself. I think this is the best Sean has ever looked. Everything is coming together for him now... pressure, distance control, legkick defense. Let's see if he's a one hit wonder or he can keep it up.

He looked at his best for sure and props to him.

I'm just pointing out that MMA has not evolved in some crazy way over the last 10-15yrs.

Pretty much MW and up had much better divisions in many aspects with a few exceptions here and there.

I'm gonna get flamed for saying it but if you haven't seen all the fights from the past you just don't know

What about interim champs? We have had quiet a few weak ones

I agree with everything except Rob to a certain degree.

He is fairly close to elite with striking but his style and reach plays perfectly for Izzy.

Overall Rob is much better skilled than Izzy. With all their shared opponents Rob looked way more dominant. Maybe he got hit a bit more but he brought it to those opponents and went at them the whole fight

Sean would get KOed by Rob

Rob got KO'd by Thompson, another non-Champion.

They are all just scrubs, with ZERO SKILLS actually on an elite level.

Yeah yeah, been watching MMA since UFC I 1993, and it's always been that way.

Izzy basically came to the UFC, after suffering back-to-back losses with Pereira and Wilness, after failing every time become Champion in Glory.

Izzy made Champion in the UFC, because of the dirt-level quality of his opponents.

Sean Strickland himself = dirt quality, but he is game and tough, and that alone was enough to make Izzy loose his fingernail polish.

Rockhold keeps his chin up in the air, his hands down, and moves in a straight line. If he used his kicks like he did in the Jacare fight, it would be a great clash of styles, and it would be a pick'em. If he tried boxing with Sean, he would get lit up and maybe stopped.

Dudes like Franklin and Bustamante come from a different era of the sport, and just because Strickland would beat them, doesn't mean they don't deserve respect.

Hendo would spam overhand rights while blocking punches with his face.

Machida would wait for an opening to blitz/counter, and would either catch Strickland coming in, or lose a boring decision. Same for Romero.

Anderson fight would be amazing.

Weidman and Jacare would be interesting, as they had grappling in their arsenal.

TRTor would try to bumrush Sean in the first round, and if he couldn't get him out of there, would wilt under the pressure, like the front-runner that he is.

Marquardt froze up in big fights, and for all of his TRT-fueled Tekken combos on Woodley and Wilson Goveia, he couldn't get out of his own way vs Okami.

Bisping would be a fun fight, I think he would lose a decision.

Rob got KO'd by Thompson, another non-Champion.

They are all just scrubs, with ZERO SKILLS actually on an elite level.

Yeah yeah, been watching MMA since UFC I 1993, and it's always been that way.

Izzy basically came to the UFC, after suffering back-to-back losses with Pereira and Wilness, after failing every time become Champion in Glory.

Izzy made Champion in the UFC, because of the dirt-level quality of his opponents.

Sean Strickland himself = dirt quality, but he is game and tough, and that alone was enough to make Izzy loose his fingernail polish.

I know you're trolling but just in case some actually believe you. Rob lost to Stephen at WW.

He did much worse at that weight. Clearly there was diminished returns by cutting. Similar to Rumble.

Past MW divisions were much better. That part is true

Back