1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Weak hamstrings

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Miiiiiiighty, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Miiiiiiighty

Miiiiiiighty Silver Belt

I would like to know if anyone knows a good template/progression to strengthen hamstrings .

Currently i am focusing on doing negatives glute ham raises and partial glute ham raises as I am unable to do complete ones .

I don't know why I always had undecently weak hamstrings though I have a very good ATG squat and fast sprinting speed which are supposed to put some emphasis on hamstrings/posterior chain ...

i would like to know if someone has an idea on how i could boost my hamstrings for them to catch up with my quads and glutes (which looks like some top 10 sprinter ones , my power probably most coming from them ... )

Any idea is welcome ...

2. PWR1982

PWR1982 Green Belt

I'm not an expert... but it matters what distance you are sprinting. The start, vertical jumping, and other explosive things are very quad dominant. Once you get some speed and your torso is more vertical, then hamstrings and posterior chain is important for sprinting.

I would just do some low bar squats, where you will sit back a lot, pretty much making them a powerlifting/squat-morning on purpose.

3. Standard

Standard Too dumb to learn, too stubborn to quit

SLDL after your squats.

How are you sure they are the lagging link though? apperance isn't always the best indicator

4. Miiiiiiighty

Miiiiiiighty Silver Belt

I think they are because I have huge glutes , I can triple 460 atg @ 187 lbs but I can't do ONE complete ham raise lol so ...

I also thought this could be something else , that's why i posted this thread if anyone has an idea ...

Strangely enough , I'm not weak at SLDL ... So it confuses me ...

5. Miiiiiiighty

Miiiiiiighty Silver Belt

Good idea I think i will give it a try , or maybe do some good mornings after my squat sessions ...

6. MASShole

MASShole Get it?

I prefer RDLs to SLDLs because you're moving at both the origin and insertion of the hamstring, not just the origin like with SLDLs.

7. ExtremeStandard

ExtremeStandard Yellow Belt

Glute Ham Raises, Hypers, Squats, Box Jumps, and Power Sprints. These will work all muscles of the legs and balance your muscle mass throughout over time to give you stronger hamstrings.

8. zhangmaster12

zhangmaster12 Blue Belt

how long have you been trying to do GHR's? I find that when i first start doing them after say a long break from lifting i can barely do 5 without cramping, but within 2 or 3 workouts im back to doing sets of twelve.

try doing these untill you can do full GHR's maybe?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  9. Miiiiiiighty

Miiiiiiighty Silver Belt

That's exactly what I have been doing recently !

10. pjmeunyc12

pjmeunyc12 Purple Belt

RDL's utterly destroy my hamstrings to the point where I cannot walk right for days. Best hammy builder imho bar none.