we saved boxing ...ESPN ratings a success

Not taking away any credit from pulling in those numbers, but its a bit of luck too isn't it? If Maidana lost against AB we would have seen Mayweather/Khan.

Boxing's been dead for 100 years btw.

SASSkip.gif

Not taking away any credit from pulling in those numbers, but its a bit of luck too isn't it? If Maidana lost against AB we would have seen Mayweather/Khan.

Boxing's been dead for 100 years btw.

lol

Just was checking out the ratings for 0.8. That's generally a top ten number for the day on cable ratings.

It's no tell on viewers but the lowest I have seen a 0.8 get is 1.3m on a Friday.

Cause this Thread is about the Fight on Sat between Chris Arreola vs Bermane Stiverne 2 that was aired on ESPN. So why were bringing up Floyd vs Marcos and Broner. They had Nothing to do with this fight or the ESPN Ratings.

Lol I'll just shut up.

.8 Nielsen rating = around 920k.

Maybe its just me but surely 920k for a World Heavyweight title fight on ESPN isn't that great?

.8 Nielsen rating = around 920k.

Maybe its just me but surely 920k for a World Heavyweight title fight on ESPN isn't that great?

It supposedly will top out over 1mil viewers.
That is good whether its 920k or 1mil that watched it.
I saw no promo or ad for this fight or the Klitschko fight. None.
They only way I knew it originally is because of ESPN.com.
So basically if you didnt venture onto ESPN's Boxing page, you probably would have no idea that it was on.
Now, compare that too a UFC Fox show that has ads all over the place, yet can only pull in a little over 2m viewers.
Or FOX Sports promoting the UFC Prelims all over their broadcasts yet only 305k tuned in for the UFC 171 Prelims.

When CBS had a boxing match on a year and a half ago they got 1.5mil viewers with no promos to watch Leo Santa Cruz's fight Alberto Guevara.

If ESPN can get Wilder vs Stiverne and throw some promos on it. They will get some huge ratings.

I have no idea why are you mentioning the UFC.

Just saying, 1 Nielsen rating is 1% of American television households which would be 1,156,000 households. Overnight ratings can change so it may jump up but I don't see how a World Title fight on ESPN doing 920k would be considered a good number but maybe i'm wrong.

I like how the UFC has "ADS ALL OVER THE PLACE" but boxing has absolutely no promotion lol. I didn't mention the UFC but it was Fox Sports 2 which aired the UFC 171 prelims.

I have no idea why are you mentioning the UFC.

Just saying, 1 Nielsen rating is 1% of American television households which would be 1,156,000 households. Overnight ratings can change so it may jump up but I don't see how a World Title fight on ESPN doing 920k would be considered a good number but maybe i'm wrong.

I like how the UFC has "ADS ALL OVER THE PLACE" but boxing has absolutely no promotion lol. I didn't mention the UFC but it was Fox Sports 2 which aired the UFC 171 prelims.

I have seen you multiple times get into the boxing vs mma comparisons. That why I brought it up.

When you come strolling in here with your "920k isnt good" remarks, I know that you have the UFC looming on the back of your mind.

The fact is that 920k or more will be a good viewership number for two fighters who arent very known outside the boxing community and had no promos or advertisements for their fights.

You basically had to be on a forum, ESPNs boxing page, or you just happen to be watching ESPN the hour before boxing came on to even know that Arreola and Stiverne were fighting.

So in that regard, yes thats a good, not great rating.

its a good rating for what it was. yes, it was a title fight but even boxing fans have hardly seen stiverne. and arreola is no household name, never been on ppv and has lost all his biggest fights.

The number is highers then 1 million. 0.8 doesn't tell us how many viewers at all.....

And you can't compare ESPN to Fox. Cable vs Broadcast. Fox, NBC, ABC, CBS have a far bigger reach and far more established viewers on a nightly basis.

It supposedly will top out over 1mil viewers.

The rating they put out is the overnight rating which is the top 50 or so metered markets only. It takes til midweek for the final rating to come out which then adds in the smaller markets and rural areas. When you considered boxing is largely an urban sport in this country outside of rural Texas, it's probable the rating is at its maximum now.

Per Steve Kim, if the fight did more than a million viewers ESPN would look at starting to put more money into boxing. If the fight did 800k viewers, "they'd have a discussion about it".

Considering it was up against the NBA Playoffs i'm suprised it even did 920k. I was going back and forth between the game and the fight and that's only cause i'm a boxing fan. I'd imagine most people would just have the game on.

Way I work it out actually, if 0.8 is a percentage of ESPN's subs (97,736,000) then that would be 781k. 800k was the talking line so that would probably be fine if it is, but then with the delayed viewers it's probably going to get a bump past that, probably as high as 900k. Then again didn't the CBS fight go from 1.2 million to 1.6 million, so maybe it will get more.

Again I don't know if that's an accurate calculation but it seems logical I guess.

EDIT: if that's total households (114 million) and not ESPN subs then the rating would be closer to 900k. Still though, there's bound to be a boost from overnights.

Last edited:
Back