• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

We owe Blockbuster video our appreciation.

I know I was introduced to UFC at a blockbuster video.

I assume most old school hardcores are the same. If not introduced you surely went to Blockbuster to gain your fix for violence.

View attachment 474181

Those were the good old days for sure.

So give a moment of silence for the all powerful blockbuster video. For if not for you many of us would have been deprived of the pure carnage we so badly needed in our lives.

You are not forgotten

Thank god that virgin emporium went down the gutter right next to pride where they belong.

Not just Blockbuster, the real true oldschool hardcores were on AOL chatrooms back in 1997 trading (literally mailing internationally) their UFC VHS tapes for Shooto VHS tapes with their japanese counterparts. There were no guarantees, you had no idea who the other person was and if they would even follow through, but you relied on blind faith since it was such a niche sport it never even crossed anybody's mind the thought of going on an mma message board and scamming people, that is the only way American fans could get a hold of Shooto and all the other JMMA events back in the day.

Last edited:
Nah fuck em some little short fat Mexican manager hired some blonde bimbo over me when I really needed the job when I was younger. Hope they're out of business completely.
Maybe she didn’t like your use of punctuation.

Not just Blockbuster, the real true oldschool hardcores were on AOL chatrooms back in 1997 trading (literally mailing internationally) their UFC VHS tapes for Shooto VHS tapes with their japanese counterparts. There were no guarantees, you had no idea who the other person was and if they would even follow through, yet that is the only way American fans could get ahold of Shooto events back in the day.
I could see that yep

We had a cable descrambler box in the 90s so would occasionally catch a PPV (and lots of movies & spice channel)

Thank you to my cable company for not zapping my system

Last edited:
My entire childhood basically revolved around going to Blockbuster on the weekend. It was basically the only thing to do in the 90s. Can't fathom what kids get up to these days... Take selfies and watch youtube videos I guess?

I know I was introduced to UFC at a blockbuster video.

I assume most old school hardcores are the same. If not introduced you surely went to Blockbuster to gain your fix for violence.

View attachment 474181

Those were the good old days for sure.

So give a moment of silence for the all powerful blockbuster video. For if not for you many of us would have been deprived of the pure carnage we so badly needed in our lives.

You are not forgotten
This is where I discovered the UFC and MMA. I ended up working there when I was 16. Loved that place. 10 free rentals per week was the shit! I still remember my account number lol

My entire childhood basically revolved around going to Blockbuster on the weekend. It was basically the only thing to do in the 90s. Can't fathom what kids get up to these days... Take selfies and watch youtube videos I guess?
Ingest tide pods and get offended by everything. Blockbuster was busy as hell on Fridays and Saturdays! I miss that place and being that young haha.

Thank you blockbuster! You had all the ufc for rents

blockbuster and randalls grocery store son

I remember my old man renting them when I was about 5-6 years old. He would make me put a pillow infront of my face if things got too extreme.

Good memories.

Thank you Jumbo Video for renting a Sega Genesis in a plastic foam suit case to my brother and I.

True. But at a point it was only blockbuster. Thats where it all started budeeh

What they were okay for is dumping casettes cheap later on. If you lived in the middle of nowhere, I guess it'd be awesome, but I was in Toronto in the 90's so there was always better places than Blockbuster to get fight stuff.

I thought you were talking about Brocktober at first. <45>

Family Video for me. The UFC tapes were $1 rentals too

What they were okay for is dumping casettes cheap later on. If you lived in the middle of nowhere, I guess it'd be awesome, but I was in Toronto in the 90's so there was always better places than Blockbuster to get fight stuff.
Yonge and Finch by chance?

Back