Ways to get the fight to the ground

This seems to be asking: "How can I get the fight to the ground without knowing take downs and without pulling guard?"

Luck and prayer....that's all I have got. Since those two didn't work for me, I decided to start judo. It's going quite well.

What would happen if in a bjj tournament setting, you began the fight in combat base, you know sitting on one foot, elbows in, one leg up, like this...

http://caneprevost.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/dscn1527.jpg?w=224&h=300&h=300

you wouldn't lose points like you would for pulling guard, and your opponent would have a hard time doing anything without first at least trying to match your level to get grips, so basically you force them to engage you on the ground but you keep an offensive posture as opposed to but scooting

Do you think this would work?

What would happen if in a bjj tournament setting, you began the fight in combat base, you know sitting on one foot, elbows in, one leg up, like this...

http://caneprevost.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/dscn1527.jpg?w=224&h=300&h=300

you wouldn't lose points like you would for pulling guard, and your opponent would have a hard time doing anything without first at least trying to match your level to get grips, so basically you force them to engage you on the ground but you keep an offensive posture as opposed to but scooting

Do you think this would work?

If a guy pushed you and landed on top it would probably count as a takedown.

However if you modify that, you end up with a very low stance that some wrestlers use, which can be effective.

If a guy pushed you and landed on top it would probably count as a takedown.

However if you modify that, you end up with a very low stance that some wrestlers use, which can be effective.

Yeah, kneeling on one knee is treated the same as standing, so if you get pushed over it would count as a takedown. You would have to go down to both knees to avoid that. At which point you are basically pulling turtle guard. Which is a valid way to get the match to the ground, but I REALLY would not recommend it for MMA... unless maybe you're Saku.

If we're talking MMA, just punch the fucker in the face.

That's not true. Rolling leglocks from clinch situations can be very effective, and even if not for the submission you can use it to sweep to top position. Roll for a leg, come out on top when he defends.

Bellator 27 Bryan Goldsby Vs Ed West.
West pulled off a rolling leg lock takedown from the clinch multiple times. Got close on the submission a couple of times. But most important took the fight where he wanted it.
So it works in high level MMA, good enough for me.

Bellator has the entire fight on their site if anyone is interested.
Bellator 27 - Bryan Goldsby vs. Ed West - Bellator.com

Bellator 27 Bryan Goldsby Vs Ed West.
West pulled off a rolling leg lock takedown from the clinch multiple times. Got close on the submission a couple of times. But most important took the fight where he wanted it.
So it works in high level MMA, good enough for me.

Bellator has the entire fight on their site if anyone is interested.
Bellator 27 - Bryan Goldsby vs. Ed West - Bellator.com

That was a sick fight thanks for sharing!

Most of you guys might not agree but I think Rickson would have my back when I say that if you can't get a guy down, his Jiu-Jitsu is better than yours.

If you really can't get him down maybe try a lot of leg and body kicks to try to lure the guy into taking you down. Try and shoot for a single and if you can't get him down, switch right to double unders and/or take the back.. but a better grappler is gonna beat you in this exchange, too. Basically if you wanna use your BJJ but can't get the guy down, you're out of luck, which is why I think takedown training should be much more intense and serious at BJJ schools.

But what if your opponent is a better wrestler, and you don't want to pull guard, but want the fight on the ground.

Get better at wrestling (or Judo)than your opponent. Yes that means get out of your comfort zone, take an ass whooping and get better at your TD game.

I'd suggest throwing him to the mat with enough force to allow you to sub him while he's still stunned from impact, but thats the Judoka in me.

Get better at wrestling (or Judo)than your opponent. Yes that means get out of your comfort zone, take an ass whooping and get better at your TD game.

I'd suggest throwing him to the mat with enough force to allow you to sub him while he's still stunned from impact, but thats the Judoka in me.

Man I wish that were always 100% legal.

Great post. I salute you sir.

Interesting question. I guess the obvious answer is take him to the clinch againts the cage. This will negate his speed and his hips abit. You can work all types of takedowns (Grecco, Judo, single, double, etc.)

Also since we are talking MMA, you can set your takedowns up with your hands to hinder a wrestlers takedown defense. Because if his wrestling is better than yours, your hands had better be better than his or you picked the wrong opponent. So setting up a level change off of strikes works. Alot of wrestlers arn't used to getting popped in the face.

I was struggling a bit for an answer because your question kinda sounded like you wanted to end up in a neutral position on the ground.......lol.

On another note, what are some very BJJ oriented takedowns? For example is taking the back from standing a classic BJJ strategy?

Not any more than in Greco or Folk (american) wrestling. I think in most grappling arts getting to the back is a basic strategy.

Last edited:
by the way he's typing this i wanna go ahead and cover the simple way, dont shoot in but close the distance, bear hug and trip. done, just make sure you end up on top and there you go

LOL. Never did wrestling or judo right?

Back