Ways to get the fight to the ground

206warrior

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I was thinking today, and this is maybe more of a question for MMA grappling strategy, then BJJ competition or other.

There are obviously takedowns to get to a dominant position, and pulling guard if that is your strong suit. But what if your opponent is a better wrestler, and you don't want to pull guard, but want the fight on the ground.

Is there a way to just kind of take things to a nuetral position from the feet to the ground.

On another note, what are some very BJJ oriented takedowns? For example is taking the back from standing a classic BJJ strategy?

Typically if I don't want to pull guard and can't get the takedown I'll kick my opponent in the nuts.

Generally, there are three ways to get a fight to the ground: shooting in, pulling guard, or trips/throws from the clinch.

To answer your question, not really. In order for that to happen, you would have to drag your opponent down so you are both in a neutral position, but on purpose and not because he sprawled really well or you couldn't properly land that throw.

Practice your takedowns? That's what I would do if I wanted to take somebody down

Collapse into the fetal position and surprise him when he leans over to see if you're ok.

Look up Russian and Korean style gripping for Judo, this is assuming your talking gi jiu-jitsu. Next step is to find 2-3 throws/trips/sweeps and become good at them.

Worst comes to worse use high level bjj strategy! If your scared of someones Judo/wrestling game stiff arm and bend at the waist and play completely negative judo against them. One of you will have to pull guard, or try a tomo-nage variation. Practice riding tomo-nage's into side mount, takes a bit of practice but can be a real match changer.

Collapse into the fetal position and surprise him when he leans over to see if you're ok.

If the opponent is wearing a cup this is a great alternative to the ball kick

Look up Russian and Korean style gripping for Judo, this is assuming your talking gi jiu-jitsu. Next step is to find 2-3 throws/trips/sweeps and become good at them.

Worst comes to worse use high level bjj strategy! If your scared of someones Judo/wrestling game stiff arm and bend at the waist and play completely negative judo against them. One of you will have to pull guard, or try a tomo-nage variation. Practice riding tomo-nage's into side mount, takes a bit of practice but can be a real match changer.

Hate when people do this.

What would be a neutral position on the ground, but not guard? There is not maneuver that would help you put him into knee wrestling position (which really doesn't ever occur organically).

You could pull turtle, Eduardo Telles style. Or you could just take a shitty shot and let him sprawl on you...

What about some of those rolling entrances to leg locks?

What would be a neutral position on the ground, but not guard? There is not maneuver that would help you put him into knee wrestling position (which really doesn't ever occur organically).

You could pull turtle, Eduardo Telles style. Or you could just take a shitty shot and let him sprawl on you...

Knee wrestling position is one, but a more common position that people tend to end up in more is hip-to-hip, one man has an underhook and the other has a whizzer.

What about some of those rolling entrances to leg locks?

Why not a flying gogo while your at it!

I hear 'no can defense' the crane kick, bro.

Not trying to be an ass but that's all low percentage advanced stuff that at best will land 1:25 times. But hey if you have great escapes and are awesome at scrambling go for it. I'd still practice some basic high percentage techniques.

I'm partial to sacrifice takedowns from the clinch, pulling guard if they fail. Countering single legs with sumi gaeshi is also fun.

Countering single legs with sumi gaeshi is also fun.

In judo, I love it.

In jiu-jitsu, I can't keep them tight enough to control them when I do pull off the throw perfectly. I'll throw them and then they'll scramble right back to where we where, and god forbid I fail their almost pass my half guard or already in mount.

Knee wrestling position is one, but a more common position that people tend to end up in more is hip-to-hip, one man has an underhook and the other has a whizzer.

I guess I sort of consider that part of a takedown game, since generally, you can still stand up most of the time from the whizzer or dogfight position.

I mean if you can successfully whizzer your opponent down and keephim there, you can probably take him down most of the time. But you can jump into a triangle from there (well, I can't, but some guys can)...

One thing you can try but is slightly dangerous, is to pull him into a half guard and immediatelyduck your head outside his arm on the side you have the half guard on and throw your outside leg over him and hook it in his hip. You can use your legs to pull yourself into back control. A similar technique worked well for me in wrestling, but I've never taken bjj. This also works better if you have longer legs, I'm 6'5 and I wrestled 215. So I was able to physically do some things most couldn't do.

In MMA you can do a kani basami (scissor takedown) and transition to a kneebar or a heel hook, like Ryo Chonan did to Anderson Silva. It's illegal in BJJ though.

You can tie up and try to snap your opponent down to his knees and move to his back. But watch out for knees in MMA!

There are also a few sacrifice throws like tomoe nage and sumi gaeshi. These tend to be pretty high percentage but are seldom used in MMA because most MMA guys don't want to risk ending up on the bottom.

But for MMA I think it's best to just learn how to set up shoot a good double-leg, and also get good at peek-outs in case your opponent sprawls on you.

by the way he's typing this i wanna go ahead and cover the simple way, dont shoot in but close the distance, bear hug and trip. done, just make sure you end up on top and there you go

Not trying to be an ass but that's all low percentage advanced stuff that at best will land 1:25 times. But hey if you have great escapes and are awesome at scrambling go for it. I'd still practice some basic high percentage techniques.

That's not true. Rolling leglocks from clinch situations can be very effective, and even if not for the submission you can use it to sweep to top position. Roll for a leg, come out on top when he defends.

Back