Watch Royce vs Shamrock with appreciation

Faisalkhan77

White Belt
Reaction score
I started watching MMA in 1994 when a friend of mine brought a tape of 'pit fighting' as he called it to my house. We watched it in amazement as one of the biggest misconceptions in my was killed, bigger guys are tougher. This is one of probably one of the last chances to watch guys who had the balls to step into uncharted territory do what most of us never would have done. As a side note doing MMA for a number of years in the 2000's saved me one day from a bad beating outside a bar in a fight where my friend lost 2 teeth, got a broken orbital bone and a concussion in a 6 on two fight, I knocked two guys to their knees threw one guy to the ground, the other two guys were beating my friend at that time until the owner and bartender came out of the car to help us out. This considering I used to get bullied and lost every fight in grade and most of high school until I learned how to box, mauy tai and greco roman wrestling. UFC changed fighting as we know today and these guys are the pioneers.

Hoping Ken beats Gracie and finally retires. Now newer fans just think of him a a bum, they don't know what he was like in his prime, he was a beast back then.

Sad truth is he'll probably challenge the winner of Slice v Harris.

I hope Severn comes out of the crowd and challenges the winner.

all of those great memories we have of legends fighting and pioneering the sport only get chipped at when these guys don't know when to call it quits. This fight shouldn't happen.

Ken will probably win and then fail a drug test.

I want to enjoy this, but it's hard to take Ken seriously after he failed to finish that RNC against Kimbo. The guy has been training submission grappling for what, like 30+ years and couldn't finish it? That just didn't seem right.

humblebrag thread...
lol thats not bragging, my friend is probably tougher than me but doesnt have any training in MMA, he only likes sports where people play with balls and sticks, (Basketball, Baseball, hockey). Anyone with about 2 years training can that or more as they arent used to thinking when throwing a punch as you will throw like a 1000 a class. Plus you can get off more punches with precision when your trained meaning you connect faster and can hit multiple targets plus you know that you have to keep your distance when there are more than one attacker, backup and throw punches cuz you cant out wrestle more than one guy.

You were right at the first place.

If every other variable is the same,bigger guy is tougher than smaller guy in a fight between them.

Unfortunately saw both Gracie and Ken working strikes on the bag and mitts. Nowadays theres MMA women that have better snap and technique with their fists than these two geezers

True, but a trained fighter can beat a bigger untrained or lesser trained fighter most of the time. Cain beat a much bigger Dos Santos, Josh Koshcheik beat a 185 Johnson, Vitor beat a 205 Johnson.

The first couple UFC's were nothing more than an infomercial for Gracie JJ.

Royce was only chosen by Rorion because he "looked more like an average guy" - and would relate better to the average joe what they were trying to sell. Royce is a pompous overrated jerkoff.

I want to enjoy this, but it's hard to take Ken seriously after he failed to finish that RNC against Kimbo. The guy has been training submission grappling for what, like 30+ years and couldn't finish it? That just didn't seem right.

If one thing Ken can still do is clamp down a choke, he has some old man huge arms. But it looked like a WWE style clinch and talk during the Kimbo - Ken fight.

The first couple UFC's were nothing more than an infomercial for Gracie JJ.

Royce was only chosen by Rorion because he "looked more like an average guy" - and would relate better to the average joe what they were trying to sell. Royce is a pompous overrated jerkoff.
I still saw him make bigger guys with training squeal like piglets at a time when guys like butch would walk around putting people in headlocks with one arm and punch the person in the face with the other. If it wasnt for him no one would have been into MMA, most of the population cant fight, he was like the little guys hero and a big guys downfall.

Ken Shamrock was never the same once he left the WWE, it took 2.5 years from him 1997-1999. He was 23-5 before the WWE and after it 5-11 with one submission win during that time. He gets tagged often and very early. He should have retired long ago but from i am reading on certain sites he is going thru divorce settlement proceeding and probably needs money. People tend to forget that his prime years were a long time ago, and that was during the Pancrase/ Early UFC era, where he was a submission grappling legend.

I still saw him make bigger guys with training squeal like piglets at a time when guys like butch would walk around putting people in headlocks with one arm and punch the person in the face with the other. If it wasnt for him no one would have been into MMA, most of the population cant fight, he was like the little guys hero and a big guys downfall.

True, he obviously is very skilled, and did what he did. But as far as actual competition goes, Rorion hand-picked all of the opponents and brackets, and didn't allow hand wraps for strikers. While not quite the same, you could say that your average boxer could look like a hero too if a promoter chose only wrestlers to face him in a boxing match.

Chris Dolman wrote letters to the Gracies asking to be included, but they declined. So did a few others, but their names escape me at the moment. I believe Ken was a last minute fill-in because they couldn't/wouldn't find anyone else, and the only one with any grappling experience.

Funny enough, hand wraps weren't allowed because Rorion said "do you have time to wrap your hands before a street fight?" Yet Royce was allowed to wear, and used his gi to choke out Ken, as well as for his guard. Do you have time to put on a gi in a streetfight?

Back