Watch Royce vs Shamrock with appreciation

who's dan severn? never heard of that guy.

Tom-Lawlor-as-Dan-Severn.jpg

True, he obviously is very skilled, and did what he did. But as far as actual competition goes, Rorion hand-picked all of the opponents and brackets, and didn't allow hand wraps for strikers. While not quite the same, you could say that your average boxer could look like a hero too if a promoter chose only wrestlers to face him in a boxing match.

Chris Dolman wrote letters to the Gracies asking to be included, but they declined. So did a few others, but their names escape me at the moment. I believe Ken was a last minute fill-in because they couldn't/wouldn't find anyone else, and the only one with any grappling experience.

Funny enough, hand wraps weren't allowed because Rorion said "do you have time to wrap your hands before a street fight?" Yet Royce was allowed to wear, and used his gi to choke out Ken, as well as for his guard. Do you have time to put on a gi in a streetfight?
I agree with all of this....but everyone knows the Gracies live in their Gi's lol

Unfortunately saw both Gracie and Ken working strikes on the bag and mitts. Nowadays theres MMA women that have better snap and technique with their fists than these two geezers

Sure, but both these geezers are grapplers and would tie any WMMA fighter into knots.

Back