Wasting Jorge & Conor's shine

BenRichards

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Having conor sit till the end of the year waiting on khabib makes zero sense. Booking him against jorge probably the most logical. So conor sits and Jorge gets wasted on Usman. Although those outcomes are inevitable the UFC lost golden opportunity to milk these guys further and deliver high entertainment.

In both fights (Conor v khabib/jorge v marty) the champ will come in as a ridiculous favorite and should. Is anyone legitimately excited for either fight outside of Dana or haters that just want to watch those guys get pummeled? Barring a tony victory, to which conor would still be the underdog, there's zero heat having him fight a person who soundly beat him.

So while the iron is scalding hot for both guys you've got a golden opportunity to book them against each other. There's little fall out either way. Conor wins versus jorge then he appears more legitimate and people take the rematch between him and beeb more seriously. Conor loses? Book him against another big name gatekeeper (Pettis, Barboza, Nate) and build him up again. Jorge wins and more eyes than ever are on him and the fight with Usman reaches fever pitch, even though he'd still be a massive underdog. Jorge loses and just book him against nate again or nick if either seriously want to fight again.

All in all, it just seems like a big waste not booking that fight considering both guys are ready to go and it wouldn't really disrupt the champ timeline in either division ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think it is just to be safe. Have the big money fight and have Conor wait to get a rematch vs Khabib or Tony if he wins. Have him fight for the title. Having Conor fight Jorge, while a big fight, if he lost it would ruin the buzz.

The UFC just does everything to make as much money as possible. It is prize fighting more than it is a real sport in that regard.

I think the UFC thinks that is the way to make the most money. I am not sure I agree with that, but it is what it is.

Agree... If Khabib won't take a fight with McNuggets whats the point of him waiting around... let him fight Dustin or Justin... if he can make weight...

What's surprising to me is that hte UFC is looking to book fights that McGregor and Jorge will both lose. So they're going to lose their 2 biggest stars in concurrent fights. =\

UFC is too greedy for that mega blockbuster rematch PPV to not sideline McGregor. Its probably gonna break all records, and the UFC isnt willing to risk that by having Conor lose. They probably hate that they have to make the Tony fight and are praying for another Ferguson injury.

From a business standpoint, it's a TERRIBLE idea to give Masvidal a TS vs someone like Usman. Not only will Usman beat Mas, he's going to crush any publicity momentum that Mas has right now and his fight after that won't as much. They blew it. This was the perfect opportunity to have Mas fight Conor for the BMF. The build up, promos, interviews and all the pressers would be absolutely historic. Probably just as good if not better than the Mayweather/Khabib buildups. The UFC really blew it from a business standpoint.

But the silver lining in all this is: the UFC wants deserving fighters fighting for a TS and Mas is definitely deserving...even if it hurts them money-wise in the long run by failing to capitalize on the Mas hype train that's still rolling along. Usman is not a big eye-ball draw. A PPV Conor-Mas fight would be absolutely ridiculous. Of course, maybe that's what they want perhaps for a WW TS....but no way in hell do I see Mas beating Usman in any scenario.

Where's Usman in all of this? Why are you counting him out as a GOAT? Or a needle mover?

Are you swayed by the notion that it isn't the best fighters that deserve to prevail, but the most marketable?

Instead of testing Conor after the layoff, they fed him a half dead Cerrone because of marketing to get his shine back. I can't be the only one thinking that this could potentially bite them in the ass giving him such a gimmie fight. Was 40 secs worth of work really much of a tune-up considering he'll be waiting again for who knows how long? That was a throw away fight. He'll have been in the Octogon less than a minute going on 2 years. I would most certainly bet on Masvidal who's been red hot. I think they realise Conor's chances were slim. It doesn't look any better after finishing Cerrone. Even Diaz at this point seems too risky.

I think the UFC is hoping that Ferguson beats Khabib so that Conor can fight him for the title, that or they hope they can throw enough money at Khabib to change his mind about Conor having to earn a title shot.

Where's Usman in all of this? Why are you counting him out as a GOAT? Or a needle mover?

Are you swayed by the notion that it isn't the best fighters that deserve to prevail, but the most marketable?

Deserve has nothing to do with it. After usman 50-45s jorge then what? Leon Edwards or a Tyron rematch. FWIW it's not that Usman completely lacks charisma even if it generates people wanting to watch him lose but honestly out of everyone mentioned he'd rank at the bottom in that regard.

Fighting is entertainment. I watch to be entertained and sometimes although not every time that means a match is made with little bearing in regard to competition. Conor nor Jorge realistically probably sniff gold from this point so why not have them fight each other? At the very least one ends up even more popular than he already is while the loser builds himself back up with another showcase fight. Jorge wins and all of sudden his match with Usman might've been the biggest in 2020

Dana doesn't want Masvidal to blast McGregor and his market value prior to the McGregor - Khabib fight. I think Masvidal beats the snot out of McGregor which could affect CM's confidence / mental outlook in addition to a big hit on market value. McGregor talking smack doesn't work so good if he gets beat up and exposed. Masvidal is a full WW. CM is a 155 fighter doing fights at 171 so he has an easy weight cut. CM has zero wins over top WW contenders. The chatter about him coming for the WW belt is pure nonsense especially with the grappling heavy credentials of larger men. Conor would get ragdolled and then eat some serious GnP.

Instead of testing Conor after the layoff, they fed him a half dead Cerrone because of marketing to get his shine back. I can't be the only one thinking that this could potentially bite them in the ass giving him such a gimmie fight. Was 40 secs worth of work really much of a tune-up considering he'll be waiting again for who knows how long? That was a throw away fight. He'll have been in the Octogon less than a minute going on 2 years. I would most certainly bet on Masvidal who's been red hot. I think they realise Conor's chances were slim. It doesn't look any better after finishing Cerrone. Even Diaz at this point seems too risky.

Were his chances slimmer than beating khabib? That's my point more or less. No version of Conor beats khabib except for that puncher's chance. Against Jorge he'd still be an underdog but a live one

Mas is a bit of an enigma. He was a years-long gatekeeper, with an occasional shining moment. Then along comes a few damn good fights for him and suddenly he's the hottest draw in town short of McGregor. Dude has definitely improved , would even venture so far to say improved dramatically in the past couple of years. He is undeniably in a once-in-a-lifetime position, for himself and the UFC. I can see a match between him and McGregor being a MASSIVE bank-buster for all concerned.

EDIT: Anyone who saw Mas in his Backyard Fights knew he was legit - heart of a lion.

Conor is waiting that someone pull out so he can take the fight against Khabib / Tferg

Were his chances slimmer than beating khabib? That's my point more or less. No version of Conor beats khabib except for that puncher's chance. Against Jorge he'd still be an underdog but a live one

I'm not disagreeing with you. I would also take his chances with Jorge over Khabib because of the styles alone. It would be the fight to make but they aren't doing it for some weird reason and I think it's because they lack the confidence and they want him winning. Getting him wins and losing to as little fighters in the process seems to be their objective. I've been against the Khabib rematch from the get go. I'm just comparing Conors time in the cage the past two years compared to Masvidal and there's a giant discrepancy.

I don't think throwing him Cerrone did the guy any favors in the long run. He's now in a position where there isn't any easy fights ahead of him. I'd probably have him the underdog against most fighters on the horizon from here. Diaz is always going to be dangerous for him and that seems like the easiest fight but the one with less in returns. I kind of think they're stuck between a rock and a hard place. Maybe the Khabib fight did fuck the dude up a bit mentally and that's the fight he wants another crack at. Seems to be the one with the biggest reward and that's what they're aiming for.

I wouldn't mind seeing him fight Masvidal and they arent going to match him up with Gaethje. I think fighting Cowboy was the whole point in not having to fight Dustin.

So many reasons to NOT make Jorge-Conor right now (from Conor's perspective).

- Conor is still on hold, in case Khabib or Tony drop out.
- Waiting on result of Khabib-Tony, and posisbly Jorge-Usman, makes more sense for Conor as it gives him more options.
- If Tony beats Khabib, Conor-Tony becomes bigger than Jorge-Conor (as of right now) and can get made relatively soon (assuming everyone is healthy).
- If Jorge beats Usman, that fight with Conor becomes bigger and it becomes more appealing to Conor, since he has a better chance of beating Jorge than Usman to try for a 3rd division title.
- If both Jorge and Tony win their fights, suddenly Conor has multiple title options and UFC will play everyone off each other.

Fighting Jorge now is much higher risk...a loss erases him at WW and likely even impacts his status at LW, as Justin almost certainly leaps over him as 'next' for the Khabib-Tony winner. It would potentially be a short-sighted cash grab right now for Conor and the UFC.

We need to think of this from CONOR's perspective...not the UFC, not hardcore fans...when talking about what 'makes sense'. If you want to talk about what WE want to see, it's another matter. Jorge-Conor or Conor-Justin would be booked already, if it were solely up to my selfish wishes lol

From a business standpoint, it's a TERRIBLE idea to give Masvidal a TS vs someone like Usman. Not only will Usman beat Mas, he's going to crush any publicity momentum that Mas has right now and his fight after that won't as much. They blew it. This was the perfect opportunity to have Mas fight Conor for the BMF. The build up, promos, interviews and all the pressers would be absolutely historic. Probably just as good if not better than the Mayweather/Khabib buildups. The UFC really blew it from a business standpoint.

But the silver lining in all this is: the UFC wants deserving fighters fighting for a TS and Mas is definitely deserving...even if it hurts them money-wise in the long run by failing to capitalize on the Mas hype train that's still rolling along. Usman is not a big eye-ball draw. A PPV Conor-Mas fight would be absolutely ridiculous. Of course, maybe that's what they want perhaps for a WW TS....but no way in hell do I see Mas beating Usman in any scenario.

don't count mas out against usman....mas is very capable on the ground...watch his fight against maia....and he can do some major damage to usman on the feet...I think it would be a very competitive fight.

It's called a tune up fight to shake off the ring rust. It's funny because before the fight everybody said Cerrone was dangerous, had the potential to give Conor issues from the outside, and had a good chance to sub him if it went to the ground. Conor starches him at WW with ease and everybody is acting like Cowboy was coming out of a retirement home.

Keep in mind the fight was at WW which definitely helped Cowboy.

The fight was a gimmie to get the juices flowing and get Conor some confidence back. I don't think he deserves Khabib though. Gatheje would be a great fight that I think is very winnable for Conor.

Let's be real Conor would probably counter fest Justin to a TKO and then everybody will say Justin was always a sloppy brawler and 2 of Conors sloppy seconds finished him so he was never really that good.

Usman wont stand with Jorge, he will be magnetized to his crotch the whole time

Back