Washing and drying your bjj belt?

Its currently 105 F at 10% humidity at shade where i live right now, i could soak it wet and hang it, it will be dry in less than an hour.

Anyway, just get a decent washing machine or put an extra spinning cycle.

Throw all of it in a hot wash, and dry the shit out of it. Unless you live in some hot climate, air drying is a no go. Wash/dry everything.

This. Buy it a little big. Wash it on warm. Dry it on low/medium. It only shrinks the first time.

My instructor has told us we can wash the gi but never the belt...if the belt stinks he will jump into a lake with it and thats the exent of washing your belt.

My instructor has told us we can wash the gi but never the belt...if the belt stinks he will jump into a lake with it and thats the exent of washing your belt.

Lol at all the ways people come up with to clean a belt without washing it in a washing machine.

"I never wash my belt. It's clean though. I purify it in the waters of Lake Minnetonka."

So if you wash the knowledge away when you clean your belt, then how much knowledge washes away when you clean your gi?

Lol at all the ways people come up with to clean a belt without washing it in a washing machine.

"I never wash my belt. It's clean though. I purify it in the waters of Lake Minnetonka."

I dont know...he insists on this...hes trained with rickson and megaton...I wont question him

Bacteria doesn't discriminate, and it certainly doesn't give a shit about your belt's honour or whatever it is people think washes out of it.

I have been asked by grown ass men why I wash my belt. They bring up the TMA hocus pocus about washing away your experience. They do so almost light heartedly, in a joking manner. Like they know it's silly, stupid superstition, but do it anyway. Like possibly spreading ringworm or staph is worth it for a minor chuckle.

My instructor once actually told me I shouldn't wash my belt after he had to reapply my stripes for the second time. He "scolded" me for it, again in a joking way. Like he knows he has no place telling a grown man and paying customer that they cannot do whatever they please with their own garments and laundry, but at the same time sincerely wishing I wouldn't. Why, to save him tape? I looked him in the eye and told him I was going to wash my belt once I got home.

It ridiculous that a culture can be so hell bent on sanitizing hands and feet, mats and uniforms. Use (questionably expensive) speciality detergents, shampoos, and soaps, yet engage in and encourage such a backwards idea as not washing the belt because of its magical properties.

Bacteria doesn't discriminate, and it certainly doesn't give a shit about your belt's honour or whatever it is people think washes out of it.

I have been asked by grown ass men why I wash my belt. They bring up the TMA hocus pocus about washing away your experience. They do so almost light heartedly, in a joking manner. Like they know it's silly, stupid superstition, but do it anyway. Like possibly spreading ringworm or staph is worth it for a minor chuckle.

My instructor once actually told me I shouldn't wash my belt after he had to reapply my stripes for the second time. He "scolded" me for it, again in a joking way. Like he knows he has no place telling a grown man and paying customer that they cannot do whatever they please with their own garments and laundry, but at the same time sincerely wishing I wouldn't. Why, to save him tape? I looked him in the eye and told him I was going to wash my belt once I got home.

It ridiculous that a culture can be so hell bent on sanitizing hands and feet, mats and uniforms. Use (questionably expensive) speciality detergents, shampoos, and soaps, yet engage in and encourage such a backwards idea as not washing the belt because of its magical properties.

Probably the same culture that has pull handles to leave a public restrooms.

I wash and dry my belt. After three years my purple looks like I've had it for 20 years. Sometimes I hope I never get my brown just because my purple belt is so ridiculously tattered.It's a Koral. I even have a second belt for traveling and for competition, but obviously the Koral has gotten a lot of use.

My friend has a different brand and has had it six months longer. It isn't tattered but has faded so much that when he was getting geared up in a new bluie gi I seriously thought he was wearing a white belt for a second.

Belts don't hold up well.

Last edited:
Back