Washing and drying your bjj belt?

CroSpartacus

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
I am trying to maintain good hygiene, but I am having trouble drying my belt.

I soaked the belt overnight and hang-dried it this morning. After over 14 hours, the belt still isn't dry. Can I put my belt in the dryer? Currently I have a white gi and a white belt.

I have a bjj class tomorrow morning and I am not sure if my belt will dry by then. Also, can I wash my belt with my gi or must they be kept separate?

Get another belt. That way you have two in rotation. I have like four belts I cycle through, mainly because I can be a gear whore. But it is practical because I air dry them after washing, so have multiples means I always have one that is clean and dry. For new belts/gis wash alone for a few washes then throw it with the gi no worries, because you should bleach gis/belts but every so often

You can try to put it in the dryer on the lowest temperature setting but I wouldn't go any higher or else you're taking the chance of shrinking or deforming it. Washing a martial arts belt takes a little preplanning.

My white belt does not look white. More of red shades, black, grey, brown (?) and some brighter grey bits that you could almost call white.

Good that you wash your belt regularly. Everyone should do it for hygiene; anyone that still believes in washing away the belt's "power" is the 21st century equivalent of a caveman.

Know that placing your belt in the dryer means shrinkage: some suggestions would be to wash and airdry over the weekend when you have a couple days for it to dry; buy a longer belt to account for shrinkage in the dryer; or rotate multiple belts.

Dry it. Buy three belts and just rotate.

The only disadvantage is your stripes will come off. You can impregnate the stripe with superglue to slow that down but it comes off eventually.

I wash my manto belt and usually it is dry after 14 hours. Manto belts are rather thin though.

I don't understand how in this day and age people don't wash their belts. If I found out someone at the gym intentionally didn't wash their belt for extended periods of time I wouldn't feel bad about going knee on face for that person.

You wash the BJJ voodoo out of your belt if you wash it. You lose at least 1.5 stripes worth of knowledge with every wash.

I always just throw mine in the wash with my gi and air dry; it's always dry by morning.

I put my war belt in the dryer. It maybe shrank two inches and it's made of gi material.

My belt usually takes just about as long as my gi to hang dry. Whatever you do, don't put it in the dryer! They shrink rather aggressively.

I got a belt much longer than needed and I just wash and dry it. (If needed I just stick on new stripes if the old ones wear away.) If I knew of someone who didn't wash their belt, that would be someone that didn't roll with me.

Dry it. Buy three belts and just rotate.

The only disadvantage is your stripes will come off. You can impregnate the stripe with superglue to slow that down but it comes off eventually.

Sew cloth strips right onto the belt in place of tape.

Throw all of it in a hot wash, and dry the shit out of it. Unless you live in some hot climate, air drying is a no go. Wash/dry everything.

Back