Was there two Tyler Durdens in fight club?

Ogata

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I am re-watching this and it feels like there are two Tyler Durdens and they are the complete opposite. One of them is about finding your own freewill and running with it for sake of walking your own path in life. This Tyler Durden did not care about winning or losing, it was about the liberation of the soul through fighting and not about really winning the fights.

The second Tyler was all about brainwashing, forcing people to follow orders, not letting them have their own thoughts let alone even their own names was withheld and this Tyler was not running a Fight Club, it was project mayhem which was the opposite of fight club. Everything was on a schedule, it was about planning and achieving a specific result vs letting the chips fall where they may.

It always bothered me and this movie could have been GOAT movie of all time if the character was consistent. For those who read the novel, did they ever explain why Tyler did a complete 180?

Funny thing is, tons of MMA fighters from the late 90s and early 2000s were inspired by the idea of fighting for the love and passion of fighting vs achieving fame and fortune. It led to tons of exciting fights.

I don't know. But I do know Marla singer was not real. And she was trying to turn "Jack" into a tranny. Which is why Marla and jack look like they are both wearing dresses at the end.

1700873701076.png

Yeah that's one of the reasons why I feel like fight club falls apart halfway through.

Once they start recruiting dudes to form a terrorist organization it just feels so out of place and inconsistent with what they established already. It really feels like they just lost what was cool about the movie.

Tyler Durden is the suppressed aspects and fantastic abilities the Narrator wished he could have in his life, so that includes being a mastermind and leader of a secret terrorist cult organization. Makes perfect sense to me.

The Matrix was better.
I forgot to post my essay on the Fight Club vs The Matrix thread, so just let it be known here.

Yeah that's one of the reasons why I feel like fight club falls apart halfway through.

Once they start recruiting dudes to form a terrorist organization it just feels so out of place and inconsistent with what they established already. It really feels like they just lost what was cool about the movie.

This is what bothered me because Tyler Durden's goal was to blow up the buildings because its in Delaware and a great place to start a business because of tax breaks and easy to form a business and YET Tyler himself was a fantastic businessman.

He showed style and ingenuity by having paper street soap co as his method of income. Hell I learned all about Delaware when it came to forming LLC and Co because of fight club and that Tyler the businessman was very charming and he was a slick entrepreneur.

But then half way, it took a strange and very unpleasant turn. The direction it went kind of bothered me because it contradicted everything Tyler was. I am glad I am not the only feels like this. That and it was the 90s and by that time, there was digital files in case paper work got lost. So even his plan made no sense at all.

If I had to revise it and give it an ending it would be:

Have him continue becoming a great businessman, go from soap to beauty products to style and fashion. Yet continue growing the fight club. In the end, Tyler/Narrator's effort ends up molding the world to his liking. The idea is to not be a businessman or to be a fighter but rather be free to choose your own life experiences vs getting pushed around by the world.

That would have been better than what they gave us. Felt really short changed to be honest.

Tyler Durden is the suppressed aspects and fantastic abilities the Narrator wished he could have in his life, so that includes being a mastermind and leader of a secret terrorist cult organization. Makes perfect sense to me.

I understand but even the suppressed aspect had a strong ideology. That ideology was the fuel for his action and yet that action turned in to contradiction.

Freedom for Original Tyler was to have his own business which he had a paper street soap co and he was able to start a personal business which is super easy to do in Delaware. That alone the essence of his original message which is to break out from mundane modern life slavery and become your own man.

Yet he betrayed that message by turning his followers in to the very same slave he absolutely despised. There was no freedom, no salvation and his followers were not liberated and nothing happened and it made no sense at all because its the 90s and companies had files backing in digital format and so their shitty project mayhem was a complete fail and it disgraced and contradicted the essence of fight club.

This is what bothered me because Tyler Durden's goal was to blow up the buildings because its in Delaware and a great place to start a business because of tax breaks and easy to form a business and YET Tyler himself was a fantastic businessman.

He showed style and ingenuity by having paper street soap co as his method of income. Hell I learned all about Delaware when it came to forming LLC and Co because of fight club and that Tyler the businessman was very charming and he was a slick entrepreneur.

But then half way, it took a strange and very unpleasant turn. The direction it went kind of bothered me because it contradicted everything Tyler was. I am glad I am not the only feels like this. That and it was the 90s and by that time, there was digital files in case paper work got lost. So even his plan made no sense at all.

If I had to revise it and give it an ending it would be:

Have him continue becoming a great businessman, go from soap to beauty products to style and fashion. Yet continue growing the fight club. In the end, Tyler/Narrator's effort ends up molding the world to his liking. The idea is to not be a businessman or to be a fighter but rather be free to choose your own life experiences vs getting pushed around by the world.

That would have been better than what they gave us. Felt really short changed to be honest.

I understand but even the suppressed aspect had a strong ideology. That ideology was the fuel for his action and yet that action turned in to contradiction.

Freedom for Original Tyler was to have his own business which he had a paper street soap co and he was able to start a personal business which is super easy to do in Delaware. That alone the essence of his original message which is to break out from mundane modern life slavery and become your own man.

Yet he betrayed that message by turning his followers in to the very same slave he absolutely despised. There was no freedom, no salvation and his followers were not liberated and nothing happened and it made no sense at all because its the 90s and companies had files backing in digital format and so their shitty project mayhem was a complete fail and it disgraced and contradicted the essence of fight club.
Well I mean if you want the contextual explanation based on the plot, then they were destroying the bank and credit records for a bunch of people and trying to “set them free”.

The cult was just taking the dudes through the same process Tyler Durden did for him. Another externalization of his own individuation.

It all lines up pretty well, you just have to bear in mind he wasn’t actually becoming his own man, Tyler was “guiding” or tricking him the whole time.

Well I mean if you want the contextual explanation based on the plot, then they were destroying the bank and credit records for a bunch of people and trying to “set them free”.

The cult was just taking the dudes through the same process Tyler Durden did for him. Another externalization of his own individuation.

It all lines up pretty well, you just have to bear in mind he wasn’t actually becoming his own man, Tyler was “guiding” or tricking him the whole time.

That's the thing though, blowing up the buildings by that time was pointless since bank records were already digitalized in the late 90s. Also there was no hint that peoples misery was because they were poor or that the bank was ruining people's lives.

Rather it was men no purpose or direction in life as oppose to a financial institution holding them back from a life of happiness.

Also Tyler had a co which is super easy to form in Delaware which is where he is from. So he is being a hypocrite by taking down a system that he himself is immensely benefiting from as well.

Now in regards to becoming his own man, with Raymond, he told him to stop working the corner store job and become a vet. He told the narrator to let chips fall where they may. This contradicts with mission purpose of project mayhem which was an act with a specific intent.

Back