• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Was Takada vs Coleman a work?

Seems as fake as the commentary.
What a shitshow

I work or shady doings were ripe

Royce drawing Takada in the GP and Takada faking a leg injury and doing nothing the entire fight, so Royce could advance to fight Saku.

Mezger being screwd against Saku so Saku could advance.

Coleman basically getting a free ride into the final.

Great tournament but some shadey shit.
Also shady was Royce's post fight drug test after defeating Saku in the rematch.

No it doesn't, whether you like (or believe) it or not. So if a fighter in the UFC is caught roiding, then ALL FIGHTS are brought into question? Sure, because then being "brought into question" is vague and meaningless, like your argument.

If you don't feel there is a difference between guys juicing and guys literally throwing fights, that's on you. And juicing was just as high in Pride, if not higher because they didn't test them. Not all Pride fights were fixed, but we have absolutely no idea what ones were legit and what ones were worked. It was a shady organization with Yakuza ties.

dude, what? That fight is your classic go-to example of a fixed MMA fight.

How much Pride did you watch? Name a significant fight that you think was a work (i.e., a fight having an actual important impact on a career, or involving/benefiting an elite and/or international fighter). The Coleman fiasco is the only fight that comes to mind. Other circus/potentially fixed fights were for a local/pro wrestler against a can.

Saku/Rampage was sketchy

huh-dave-chappelle.gif
The reffing alone was the most obviously rigged example of fight fixing in the sport's history and it isn't even close. That isn't even bringing up the promotional angle or the selective USADA standards or any of the other several red flags of corruption that WME has highlighted.

I wanna say long ago Sherdog had this topic in their FAQ. I remember Bas Rutten talking about how quite a handful of Takada's fights were works. If memory is correct, Takada tried to have Mirko do the same, but Mirko turned it down, thus giving us that great war!

Bas had worked fights in Pancrase as well.

Dude, let’s use some logic here. It’s a huge risk for an MMA promotion to fix fights. This was overseen and handled in the exact same way that every Bellator card at Mohegan Sun is handled, by the same U.S.-based commission.

And why?? Why fix this fight? The old, overweight, unmotivated version of Rampage never had a prayer in hell of beating Fedor, there was no need to fix that fight. I get that the stoppage was goofy, but that’s not due to any fix. It’s due to Rampage being way overmatched and out of shape, and/or maybe expecting a friendly sparring match with his buddy Fedor—but Fedor doesn’t roll like that. When the bell rings, he throws hammers. I think Rampage couldn’t land shit, was eating hard shots, and after Fedor threw that right hand that busted Rampage open he said “Fuck this shit, I don’t want anymore.” For that fight to be fixed just makes no sense.

Mohegan Sun commission is the same AC that let Crocop fight Nelson in Bellator after he ignored his 2 year USADA ban and fought overseas.

id say his fight with mirko was a work too. id be willing to bet that they paid mirko to not kill takada. if it went to the time limit then it would be considered a draw, which is exactly what happened. if you watch it you'll see how passive mirko is the entire time

Mohegan Sun commission is the same AC that let Crocop fight Nelson in Bellator after he ignored his 2 year USADA ban and fought overseas.
That’s a million miles away from fixing fights though. I’m not necessarily saying I agree with that decision, but keep in mind:
-USADA is not a commission, therefore that suspension is not binding.
-The punishment by USADA was itself pretty harsh. They suspended him for 2 years based solely on his own freely given admission. He didn’t actually ever fail a test.
-By the time he fought Nelson in Bellator, four years had passed.

Ultimately each commission has to make their own decision in a situation like that. Mohegan Sun made theirs, and I understand disagreeing with it. But it’s also perfectly valid and within their rights to do. Fixing fights is not, and that’s what we’re talking about ITT.

I’m 99% sure that fight was a work , I’d bet the house on it
At Pride 7 Takada fought Alexander Otsuka who was generally referred to by his nick name “ Diet Butcher “ because it was always on the back of his trunks
Now they tried to play this off at the time as a legitimate fight but you won’t find it on their records, you know why ? , because it’s such obvious bullshit that nobody in their right mind would believe it’s real .
So 100% Takada was in at least 1 worked fight in Pride so it’s not hard to believe he was in others

Dude, let’s use some logic here. It’s a huge risk for an MMA promotion to fix fights. This was overseen and handled in the exact same way that every Bellator card at Mohegan Sun is handled, by the same U.S.-based commission.

And why?? Why fix this fight? The old, overweight, unmotivated version of Rampage never had a prayer in hell of beating Fedor, there was no need to fix that fight. I get that the stoppage was goofy, but that’s not due to any fix. It’s due to Rampage being way overmatched and out of shape, and/or maybe expecting a friendly sparring match with his buddy Fedor—but Fedor doesn’t roll like that. When the bell rings, he throws hammers. I think Rampage couldn’t land shit, was eating hard shots, and after Fedor threw that right hand that busted Rampage open he said “Fuck this shit, I don’t want anymore.” For that fight to be fixed just makes no sense.

What's the answer to 99 out of 100 questions?

That’s a million miles away from fixing fights though. I’m not necessarily saying I agree with that decision, but keep in mind:
-USADA is not a commission, therefore that suspension is not binding.
-The punishment by USADA was itself pretty harsh. They suspended him for 2 years based solely on his own freely given admission. He didn’t actually ever fail a test.
-By the time he fought Nelson in Bellator, four years had passed.

Ultimately each commission has to make their own decision in a situation like that. Mohegan Sun made theirs, and I understand disagreeing with it. But it’s also perfectly valid and within their rights to do. Fixing fights is not, and that’s what we’re talking about ITT.

I’m just pointing out the commission you’re talking about does shady shit, they even told Mirko ahead of time when he would be drug tested for the Nelson bout. Using them as an example of a legit AC is wrong.

His orbital bone may have been broken. Very similar reaction to Vernon White when Chuck Liddell broke his orbital bone.

You can hear it in Bas' voice. He knows something dodgy is going on especially before the sub when Coleman could have easily escaped the open guard.

How much Pride did you watch? Name a significant fight that you think was a work (i.e., a fight having an actual important impact on a career, or involving/benefiting an elite and/or international fighter). The Coleman fiasco is the only fight that comes to mind. Other circus/potentially fixed fights were for a local/pro wrestler against a can.
I'll give you this one: Crocop vs Randleman 2

works or shady doings were ripe

Royce drawing Takada in the GP and Takada faking a leg injury and doing nothing the entire fight, so Royce could advance to fight Saku.

Mezger being screwd against Saku so Saku could advance.

Coleman basically getting a free ride into the final.

Great tournament but some shadey shit.

Funny you mention that tourney in particular, because I've actually never enjoyed it that much. Like you say, it's FAMOUS, but the actual fights aren't that special. I remember Vovchanchyn vs Saku being brutal, . . . but that only led to Coleman getting a comically gassed Igor in the final (and I think Coleman even got a free ride because Fujita threw in the towel before they fought). So I admit it was an important tourney, but my least favorite in Pride by far.

If you don't feel there is a difference between guys juicing and guys literally throwing fights, that's on you. And juicing was just as high in Pride, if not higher because they didn't test them. Not all Pride fights were fixed, but we have absolutely no idea what ones were legit and what ones were worked. It was a shady organization with Yakuza ties.

"If you don't feel there is a difference between guys juicing and guys literally throwing fights, that's on you." LOL, way to completely dodge/dismiss my point. Over your head either intentionally or because you actually don't understand? Also,
"we have absolutely no idea what ones were legit and what ones were worked. It was a shady organization with Yakuza ties." IF you watch any major Pride fight and have NO IDEA if it was fixed or not, you need new eyes. What a joke of a response. You're grasping at straws here. Simply put, it's clear that the VAST VAST majority of Pride fights weren't fixed, because. . . .just watch them. It doesn't take a detective.

Saku/Rampage was sketchy

I didn't really think so, but I do recall Saku/Randleman being a bit strange: like Randleman couldn't pull the trigger or something (but he was often weird like that). I just thougth that Saku outgrappled rampage.

Back