Was Penn/Edgar 1 a robbery?

I thought BJ won the first fight but it was close. That was back when takedowns, even if you didnt do anything, seemed to score very heavily with judges. Frankie won the second fight though and obviously the third wasn't even competitive.

BJ clearly won but he never won any close decisions in his career. 2 and 3 were obviously Edgar’s but one wasn’t close in my eyes. Penn won
Damn son, welcome to Sherdog, but did you have to bring up a thread from 3 years ago?

And BTW you meant to say "4 and 5 were obviously Edgar's", which is true. And 1 and 2 were obviously Penn's. 3 was razor thin close. That's why "robbery" is the wrong term; it was a true coin toss, because it came down to 1 razor thin close round.

The fight should not have been controversial, but the scoring was. 1 judge scored it 50-45 and another scored it 49-46. No one thought Frankie won rounds 1 or 2 except those two guys.

Yes, it was a robbery that gave Edgar a title he didn’t deserve (he bypassed Maynard for a title shot) and spiraled BJ’s career downstream.

Penn won imo, but its old news so whatever

Had Penn winning as an honest opinion but to call it a robbery is silly.I had Edgar Cleary losing bendo 1 but thought he definitely won second fight ( only time I didnt blame frankie for being upset).

Frankie has had a weird lightweight title history. Even Gray 2 ?( the draw) , that first round was so bad it was like a cartoon. I wouldn't wince at a 10-7.

You want salt? Let's talk about how Ben Henderson owns Frankie. Bendo 2 Frankie 0.
I loled and liked this 2016 post because its always fun to remind people that frankie lost both of those fights, and neither are robberies

Not a robbery. Not really even a good fight. It should have been a 0-0 tie

I watched the full fight in live and wasn't surprised by the decision.

yes. bj won the first 3.5 rounds. see fightmetric or mmadecisions if judging a 25 minute fight is too hard

bj won the first fight, as clearly as edgar won the rematch

Back