Was Penn/Edgar 1 a robbery?

I had BJ 49-46. I thought he CLEARLY took the first 3 rounds. Frankie took round 5, and 4 is a toss-up. The guy who had it 50-45 and even the 49-46 guy should never be able to judge a fight again. I thought it was an awful decision honestly.

A lot of people consider that fight a huge robbery. I personally had it for Edgar. Every so often, there's a fight that apparently I'm in a small minority of people who feel that a fight is/isn't a robbery. Sanchez VS Kampmann is another one -- I felt that the right guy won that night but many people reference that as one of the biggest robberies of that year. I'm just glad I'm not a judge, because my idea of what is/isn't effective is much different than many.

I mean it was 6 years ago, but I rewatched it the other day. Just out of curiosity, do you remember what you had it scored and which ones you gave to Frankie?

I mean it was 6 years ago, but I rewatched it the other day. Just out of curiosity, do you remember what you had it scored and which ones you gave to Frankie?
That's a fair question but I'd be lying if I said I remembered. I think (but I'm not sure) that I scored it 48-47 for Edgar and gave him the first round (I forget the rest). I remember being surprised at the 50-45 scorecard. I'll have to rewatch this fight again some time soon.

Couldn't see a clear winner in the first 3 rounds so I gave them Draws.

Edgar clearly won rounds 4 and 5, so my final score was 50-48 Edgar.

Could have gone to BJ, but it could have been a draw as far as the fight went IMHO.

I dont remember it round by round but iirc frankie did his standard bounce around and tap your leg bullshit and made it hard for bj to land. Though bj clearly landed harder shots when he did land. Still think bj shoulda won. Wish he had so he coulda kept owning people at lw :(

Frankie obviously proved he was better in the 2nd fight (the 3rd never happened) but bj should have gotten the win so that fight never should have happened

His fans were pretty rabid, almost like Conor fans, and his haters were a million times worse

I see it the other way: His haters are pretty bad, but his fans were a million times worse. Some Penn fans have gone as far as to say he was robbed against Machida, Some even went as far as to say he was going to collect all the belts from LW to LHW.

48-47 Penn. First 3 went to Penn.

Not a robbery because it was a typical Edgar tap and run snoozefest.

Some goofball judge had it 50-45 Edgar.
That's why it's considered a "robbery". Something shady was going on with that scorecard.

I agree otherwise, close fight, but I scored it 48-47 Penn.

How the hell is a razor thin decision a "robbery", no matter who won??

That's why it's considered a "robbery". Something shady was going on with that scorecard.

I agree otherwise, close fight, but I scored it 48-47 Penn.
Edgar has some sort of affiliation with the oil shieks there in Abu Dhabi.

I see it the other way: His haters are pretty bad, but his fans were a million times worse. Some Penn fans have gone as far as to say he was robbed against Machida, Some even went as far as to say he was going to collect all the belts from LW to LHW.
No, dude. It's pretty much a rule: haters are worse than fans. Think about it for like, two seconds.

Frankie never got outclassed in his close fights like Penn did in their trilogy,in each fight.

I can see the argument that Frankie ought to have won the first Penn fight, though it is a stretch. But suggesting Frankie outclassed Penn in each fight is stupid.

What suprized me was BJ's reaction to the decision
I thought he won even when the scorecards were read I still thought he was getting the decision, until Bruce said frankie and BJ was like meh I guess he won

Very unlike Frankie when he loses close calls, whines and throws his hat n shit
BJ took it well and was a class act

Back