Was GSP in his prime VS Matt Serra the 1st fight?

?

• Total voters
When I consider a fighter to be in their prime that means they are at their absolute peak. And the GSP that fought Serra was anything but that. As far as primes go I consider GSP’s prime to be around the Jake shields fight
So a fighter's prime is for one fight?

No like I said gsps prime was AROUND the shields fight. I forgot on Sherdog you have to be pinpoint specific and not misspell anything lol to be more specific I co rider his prime to be between the Dan Hardy fight and the Nick Diaz fight

a fighter's prime, i thought, was when they exhibited a constant peak physical ability and skillset for however long that lasts. sometimes it's only a couple fights, sometimes it lasts multiple years. gsp clearly corrected prior holes and developed new strengths in his game after serra knocked his block off. even the GSP that head kicked hughes for the title is not the same GSP that put on an MMA clinic against alves.

i would love for you guys to explain how someone is in their prime if they aren't at their best.

Peak vs Prime is a matter of definition and time.

An athlete's Prime is over a period of time when they are consistently very good or close to their best, over that course of time. Usually measured in years.

The peak is the single day that they are at their absolute best.

With sports that are quantifiable or measurable, like timed sports (sprinting) or strength-based sports (weight lifting) the peak is when the athlete produces a PB they never achieve again.

Prime though is the plateau of measurement on either side of that PB where they are very close to this peak.

Usain Bolt's PB is 9.58 in 2009 that is his PEAK.

However, he was in his Prime where he was on top of the world from 2008-2016. So his Prime lasted 7-9 years.
2008 9.69 sec
2009 9.58 sec
2012 9.63 sec
2013 9.77 sec
2016 9.81 sec

In fighting sports it's harder to get a definitive measure b/c there is no yard stick-like in other sports to quantify performance so it's more of an objective determination based on performance.

GSP was in his early Prime in the Serra fight but he had not yet peaked.

No, his prime was around 2009, when he completely dominated BJ.

Reactions: HHJ
He was. But he Rocky III'd the Serra's fight. He then blazed his path in the beginning of the cleansing of the mighty WW division, and beat the shit out of Serra. He never looked back after that.
Also, it wasn't like Serra was a bad fighter; but GSP was seen as the future of the sport, and the heir of Matt Hughes.
It's not like he lost to Chonan or something.

He was. But he Rocky III'd the Serra's fight. He then blazed his path in the beginning of the cleansing of the mighty WW division, and beat the shit out of Serra. He never looked back after that.
Also, it wasn't like Serra was a bad fighter; but GSP was seen as the future of the sport, and the heir of Matt Hughes.
It's not like he lost to Chonan or something.

or even worse Takase

He was in his prime when he went to Jackson's camp, which was right after the loss. That's when he had a world class training camp, partners, coaching, etc.

Well, I've heard Silva's fans saying that Silva's losses vs Chonan, Takase, Okami (inb4 'but but but it was a DQ) & Azeredo don't matter because he was young, he was not in his prime.

He absolutely was, you can be in your prime and still improve though, GSP did get better but he was also a beast at that moment and in his prime, every dog has it's day and that was Matt's.

He was. Just got over confident, which happens in a lot of people's primes and paid for it.

No biggie.

The rematch was a lot more telling.

Well, I've heard Silva's fans saying that Silva's losses vs Chonan, Takase, Okami (inb4 'but but but it was a DQ) & Azeredo don't matter because he was young, he was not in his prime.
Don't know about the others, but the Chonan fight was after Lee Murray and after Silva started training with Nogueria, so that could absolutely be considered Anderson's prime. It's one of the best submissions I've seen.

He was in his prime. He just came in with the wrong fightplan...

This is something that he seemed to be lacking before joining Team Jackson, but once they filled that hole, he became untouchable.

I think the real issue was that GSP shifted tactically after the Serra fight, prior to that he was much more willing to engage in aggressive stand up but Matt and indeed BJ the first time showed he wasnt that great at it.

After that point his game was based on making sure anyone dangerous couldnt strike aggerssively with him, work jabs and kicks then shoot for a takedown if they move forward. He only really let his hands go against Fitch who was pretty harmless standing and Bisping who he was having trouble out grappling due to the size difference.

Back