Was GSP in his prime VS Matt Serra the 1st fight?

?

• Total voters

ExitLUPin

K
@Steel
Reaction score
I think he def was but seems some might not

He was 13-1. Over 5 years in MMA and beat Sherk, BJ and Matt Ews in a row. Was top P4P fighter too. Serra 1 was one of the biggest favorites odds wise in a UFC fight. Only bigger odds GSP had was against Hardy

Yes he was, but he kept improving.he was not at his best yet.

his Star was still rising at that stage.

We'll see what the general opinion here is. I never thought it was a debate that he was in it TBH
he was a giant favorite to win the fight and he was a top class MMA fighter. no one is going to deny that. he clearly adjusted his style and became a better fighter after the loss though.

Yes but the way you guys try to lose one loss to discredit gsps entire career is pretty silly.
<PlusJuan><PlusJuan><PlusJuan>

buds you are a very smart and leveled poster. you are so reasonable and very knowledgeable. probably one of the smartest posters on this forum. i bet you are very handsome too and kill it in everything you do.

<PlusJuan><PlusJuan><PlusJuan>

buds you are a very smart and leveled poster. you are so reasonable and very knowledgeable. probably one of the smartest posters on this forum. i bet you are very handsome too and kill it in everything you do.
Oh you

<Oku03>

QUOTE="stav, post: 162394845, member: 61847"]Yes he was, but he kept improving.he was not at his best yet.

his Star was still rising at that stage.
i would love for you to explain how someone is in their prime if they aren't at their best.

In sports peak means their absolute best season/year. Prime is extended play at their best form but not absolute best

Since you follow ball 2011 Lebron is prime Lebron. He was already the best player in the world and b2b MVP winner. He still wasn't at his peak yet

He wasn't fully developed as a fighter of skill, I don't think it was peek GSP. But physical prime he was. Either way, he got caught, it happens. He dominated the rematch and there were no questions left.

When I consider a fighter to be in their prime that means they are at their absolute peak. And the GSP that fought Serra was anything but that. As far as primes go I consider GSP’s prime to be around the Jake shields fight

In sports peak means their absolute best season/year. Prime is extended play at their best form but not absolute best

Since you follow ball 2011 Lebron is prime Lebron. He was already the best player in the world and b2b MVP winner. He still wasn't at his peak yet
2013 bron is prime bron imo but that's a separate discussion. in combat sports i would say, if there's a difference, prime vs. peak would be a streak of fights versus a single great performance.

gsp's prime would have started with the penn beatdown and continued to the shields fight, alves being his peak

He was at his peak physically.

Serra is just a bad match up for GSP. He’s got heavy hands and he has better jiu jitsu. GSP knew when they rematched that Serras cardio wouldn’t be strong because he was coming back early from a bad injury to fight in Montreal, so he gassed him out with wrestling and transitions and then pounded on him.

Back