Was Frankenstein really a bad guy?

the ambush

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I suppose this conundrum may require a little bit of movie nerd history, but can anyone confirm wether Frankenstein was an antagonist/bad character or anti-antagonist/good character? In the Monster Squad (1987) he was portrayed as the good guy teaming up with the kids. I have never seen any other movie featuring Frankenstein.

Last edited:
Can't tell if speaking about Frankenstein or the monster

Victor was a messed up scientist

Frankenstien was a bad guy in the book but the Monster was just as bad. Both lost their way to obession. Frankenstien became obessed with doing something that he gave up everything ro do it and the Monster gave into his obession with revenge that he killed inocents people to get back the one who abanded him.

The Monster killed a little girl and then framed her nanny for it who was killed cause of it. Killed Frankenstien best friend and then Ripped Frankenstein's wife into pieces on his wedding night. That is some cold blooded Monsterish shit.

tumblr_nevr480CK71s2wio8o1_500.gif

Frankenstien was a bad guy in the book but the Monster was just as bad. Both lost their way to obession. Frankenstien became obessed with doing something that he gave up everything ro do it and the Monster gave into his obession with revenge that he killed inocents people to get back the one who abanded him.

The Monster killed a little girl and then framed her nanny for it who was killed cause of it. Killed Frankenstien best friend and then Ripped Frankenstein's wife into pieces on his wedding night. That is some cold blooded Monsterish shit.

This is what I was looking for. Thank you.

The monster was a genius, though.
Learned how to read in a couple of hours

Daddy issues.

The monster was a genius, though.
Learned how to read in a couple of hours

haha, it was months of watching the family from the dark that he learned how to read and speak but when he did the first books that attracted him were ones on human history and in his eyes we were the real monsters cause he read about wars and greed and politics to gain power. All he wanted at the time was love like the poor people he was watching had.

haha, it was months of watching the family from the dark that he learned how to read and speak but when he did the first books that attracted him were ones on human history and in his eyes we were the real monsters cause he read about wars and greed and politics to gain power. All he wanted at the time was love like the poor people he was watching had.
It has been many years since I read it.
In my memory it seemed like a short while.
He had a freaky good eyesight, learning how to read, while creeping from afar

I suppose this conundrum may require a little bit of movie nerd history, but can anyone confirm wether Frankenstein was an antagonist/bad character or anti-antagonist/good character? In the Monster Squad (1987) he was portrayed as the good guy teaming up with the kids. I have never seen any other movie featuring Frankenstein.

yeah it funny that most movies portrait him as a dummy or uneducated but in the book he had the ability to learn super fast and came up with crazy revenage plots to get back at the man who created. At first it was just to Blackmail Frankenstien into creating him a bride but when Frankenstein refused by ripping her up right before creating her, the Monster went on all out revenge plot that ended with killing Frankstein's wife(who was his adopted sister,i think) on his wedding night. So he wasn;t just some mindless monster that some movies make him out to be.

The dr was bad, the monster was just Abby Normal

In the book, both characters are absolutely whiny dicks who blame everything they do on something or someone else. Both are monsters.

yeah it funny that most movies portrait him as a dummy or uneducated but in the book he had the ability to learn super fast and came up with crazy revenage plots to get back at the man who created. At first it was just to Blackmail Frankenstien into creating him a bride but when Frankenstein refused by ripping her up right before creating her, the Monster went on all out revenge plot that ended with killing Frankstein's wife(who was his adopted sister,i think) on his wedding night. So he wasn;t just some mindless monster that some movies make him out to be.
She was never formally adopted by the family, but she was raised in their household. What's funny is in the original text there's a short line about how Frankenstein's mother always intended for the two of them to marry, but it was cut from the revised text.

Also I think Frankenstein should have just built the guy a wife ffs. Everything would have been all good after that.

Not sure. I guess it depends on how one approached him. And WHO, we are speaking of.

This guy
48065e5ea8395306f4e7e96299df0f19.gif

I could talk to him all day, and night. I would laugh, I would weep.

23ed554dda909f9bba7ba0a6c7eea7a8.jpg

This guy was a genius...

Fuck... I hang out with this guy regularly, down at the local bar.
339757.jpg

In all seriousness. Frank the monster was not meant for this world. The Doc was a severely intelligent mad scientist.. Sooo, I guess it depends on ones perspective..

Interesting thread TS. Good topic. My guess, this boils down to complete opinion..

well.gif

He is portrayed properly in Penny Dreadful

It was cold blooded that Dr. Frankenstein worked so hard to create the monster and then shunned him.

Frankenstein was evil as fuck his monster wasn't though, just neglected.

That's kind of the moral of the story.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarioLemieux
Back