Was DC thrown off his game when Jon took him down?

Maybe but I think he started to really break when he couldn't take Jones down and he couldn't sneak in as easily as he probably thought.

I agree. I think it was the fight's turning point (not that DC was winning, but it was a close fight before these takedowns).

I think the eye-poke moment was the turning point. Until that point in time both JJ and DC were gassing, but during that little break JJ seemed to have recovered while DC was still gassed.

I didn't see any takedowns in that fight, just some scrambles that ended up on the feet.

I think the eye-poke moment was the turning point. Until that point in time both JJ and DC were gassing, but during that little break JJ seemed to have recovered while DC was still gassed.

this.

Jones had a moment to re collect mentally, and catch his breath.
Cormier was in the panic you get when your eye gets poked, and he lost his momentum, and IMO resumed too quick, but can you blame him? he was backing jones up.

Jones by dirty tactic AGAIN.
HERB DEAN...COMONNN

No- Ive never seen a fighter tke so many significant body shots over the course of the 1st 3 rounds...and ive been watching this sport for 15+ years.He ate brutal body shots in the 1st and his game plan was compromised. I give Dc credit, he looked like the terminator for as long as he could.Credit to Bones, as I expected- he was too long and more gas in the tank in championship rounds.
In my opinion, great fight.

DC probably went into the fight thinking that he was going to dominate Jon with his wrestling and defend all of Jon's takedowns and then Jon took him down in the first minute of the fight, which must have thrown DC off his game.

What do you guys think?

Watch the fight again, you'll see it went downhill after the eye poke. It is not the first time we see that. GSP had two bad fights because of eye pokes (The first Penn fight and the Shields fight). They lose focus and then they don't follow their game plan anymore. And then yes, Cormier seemed to have gassed in the 4th.

The pressure game only really works if you can force the fight into positions where you're able to rest and he has to work.

It wasn't just the one takedown. Every time Cormier got close Jones would end up in the better clinch positions where he was leaning on Cormier and resting. Jones made Cormier work harder, so it was Cormier that gassed first.

Yep. Jones won the grappling wars and was, for the most part, the one imposing his will up close and in the clinch. It was pretty damn impressive.

Back