Was DC thrown off his game when Jon took him down?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by pcbh, Jan 4, 2015.

1. pcbh

pcbh Banned Banned

DC probably went into the fight thinking that he was going to dominate Jon with his wrestling and defend all of Jon's takedowns and then Jon took him down in the first minute of the fight, which must have thrown DC off his game.

What do you guys think?

2. BigGucciSosa

BigGucciSosa Red Belt

he was thrown on his ass thats for sure

3. RenoBJJr

RenoBJJr We all know that was a catch.

EDIT: I read that completely wrong.

I'm pretty sure getting taken down shocked the shit out of him but I really doubt it did anything to his mental state.

4. Blicious

Blicious Blue Belt

A humbling experience for sure. DC never lost a round before and he never got taken down before.

5. GearSolidMetal

GearSolidMetal I'm here to chew bubblegum and bang your mom. Platinum Member

DC had trouble with Jones' s height, reach, and strength.

6. Kabzie

Kabzie Brown Belt

Yes.

I dont think Daniel honestly believed Jon would take him down at all, let alone as easily. The two takedown in succession that Jon scored were partially down to DC gassing, but Jon is a better wrestler than Cormier gave him credit for.

7. Lightfoot

Lightfoot I'm lovin' it!

I don't think that one effected him much, but the TDs in RD 4 really seemed to get under his skin. It looked like he spent all of RD 5 trying to get a takedown just to prove a point.

8. AusMMAfan

AusMMAfan Guest

LOL I agree with both of you guys.

Yes, for sure it seemed to have a psychological impact on him. JBJ out wrestled Cormier and threw him on on his ass a couple of times. JBJ's TDD was also very impressive Cormier probably he could ragdoll JBJ like he did to Hendo.

9. WrestlinganJudo

WrestlinganJudo Banned Banned

Doesn't anyone remember a coupe of weeks ago where Dan said if he had a good chance at losing this?

10. Glumberjack

Glumberjack Brown Belt

No, he looked fine for a while after that. I hardly think the guy is so mentally fragile that getting taken down shattered his confidence. What "threw him off his game" was the fact that Jones was hitting him to the body repeatedly, absorbing his punches and able to match his strength in the clinch. The combination of body shots, constant clinch fighting and constantly having to move forward to try to get into the pocket so he could do damage wore Cormier out and by the time the fourth round started he was basically a sitting duck. It's a testament to Cormier's toughness that he hung in there and didn't get finished in the final two rounds, but he was basically in survival mode for the last ten minutes of the fight.

11. Kneepocalypse

Kneepocalypse This is your god now.

i was wondering if the kicks to his body gassed him and left him weak/vulnerable to be taken down. he mentioned how draining it was to have Bones hanging on him in the press conference, but the kicks could have also added to that. then again, he got dat tree trunk torso so maybe they didn't affect him that much.

12. jimbob27

jimbob27 Ken Shamrock Belt

The pressure game only really works if you can force the fight into positions where you're able to rest and he has to work.

It wasn't just the one takedown. Every time Cormier got close Jones would end up in the better clinch positions where he was leaning on Cormier and resting. Jones made Cormier work harder, so it was Cormier that gassed first.

13. TheOneWhoKnows

TheOneWhoKnows Blue Belt

He said that he took a hard knee in the 1st round that slowed him down. If anything threw him off his game it was probably that.

14. Billthebutcher2

Billthebutcher2 Green Belt

I don't think so, DC ended up handling Jones pretty well not long after that for the end of that round, the whole 2nd, and the 3rd was mostly even. I think it was the body shots that drained him more than anything, and the eye poke stopped some of his momentum too, Jones looked almost shocked going into the 3rd, but some of his early work started to pay off for him as that round wore on.

15. jmd69

jmd69 Brown Belt

DC said it best....he has shared the cage with some kings and beaten them yet JBJ had real grit and determination and said Bones was a tough guy to be able to grind it out while DC kept going after to him. Much credit to both fighters. Unfortunately all the trash talk has people overlooking how much of a stalemate this fight was mostly aside from JBJ taking DC down pretty easily. For the most part, they slugged it out, took each others strikes without being rocked and mostly clinched trying to regain some of the zapped energy. Jones seemed to recover better and regain his cardio while DC started to gas towards the end.

16. jmd69

jmd69 Brown Belt

I agree with you here. Jones definitely made DC work harder all around. Keeping him at bay with strikes, landing significant strikes to the body and forcing continuous blocked head kicks, his clinch work and him out wrestling DC. He never really stunned or hurt DC but he dragged him into the deep cardio waters towards the late rounds. DC's face on the stool between rounds said it all....he had that distant and very wore out look. His heart kept him pushing forward where most LHWs would have completely caved and been destroyed by the powerful Bones.

17. Billthebutcher2

I think you are right, and plus, Jones really only started taking DC down when he was obviously tired. He got a quick one early, but DC got back up, then DC ended up doing something similar to JBJ in the last round. The 3rd and the 5th were rounds that could have gone either way really, it was a close fight despite the judges having it 49-46, that usually happens with champions, they get the nod in close or even rounds. It wasn't like it was an easy fight for either guy. Plus, holy shit, Jones can take a shot, several of those uppercuts in the second would have put out a lesser man.

18. Billthebutcher2

Rockhold made a good point saying that DC started getting in Greco positions with Jones, and since Jones is so tall it really stifled him.

19. The Don

The Don If there is no struggle, there is no progress Platinum Member

I think the knees and strikes Jones landed to DC's body definitely helped Jones land the takedowns in the later parts of the fight. It was pretty close in the striking department until DC started to tire.

20. Busa

Busa Purple Belt

His words he was gassed and taking round 4 off