International Was American involvement in world war 2 key to victory?

I do, i love coming to America. I plan to go to the west side where i've never been

Have you been to George Washington's estate at Mount Vernon? I donate to the foundation that maintains it but haven't made the pilgrimage to his final resting place in Virginia yet. It managed to escape damage during the Civil War and served as a neutral site where both union and confederate soldiers alike would drop their arms and remove their uniforms before touring the grounds.

Such is the gravity and respect for the Commander-in-Chief of the Revolutionary Army, Chairman of the Constitutional Convention, unanimously elected OG President, and the only to hold office with no formal affiliation to a political party -- first in war, first in peace, first in the hearts of his countrymen. The Father of the United States. The number of times his contemporaries pleaded for him to take power in a significant capacity both militarily and politically only for him to voluntarily relinquish it every time after serving his duties is almost comical.

I don't have time to read the whole thread but just will make a couple of points:

(1) The USA wasn't really 'neutral' until Pearl Harbour, it was helping the UK and the controllers were just waiting for their chance to enter the war on the Allies' Side.
(2) The theory that the RAF was on the brink of defeat in the Battle of Britain has been disproven.
(3) The theory that the RAF losing the Battle of Britain would have meant a German invasion has been disproven. @avenue94 has provided some good info on that. The RAF and RN would have wrought havoc on an invasion fleet and their attendant supply ships. By 1941 England had not been successfully invaded for 875 years, it's not as easy as you might think.
(4) The theory that the UK was, at its worst point, only a month or so from surrendering during the Battle of the Atlantic has also been disproven.

The UK was never as close to defeat as was traditionally thought.

If Germany had been able to complete Plan Z and build a massive navy things might have been different, but they didn't end up having time, so had no choice but to leave the UK/British Empire/USA eventually, in the game and try to take out the USSR while the Western Allies continued to cause a nuisance.

/

Like I said I haven't read every post but I don't think anyone's mentioned China's contribution to the war lol. Never fails. I don't think most Westerners even know that China was in WW2 (and also in the Second Sino-Japanese war from '37).

Someone said the 'British Army' was defeated in France, it was not, that was the British Expeditionary Force, which was, without checking numbers, maybe a quarter or a fifth? of the whole army.

China suffered a lot during WWII, from both a Japanese invasion and a civil war. They held down a lot of Japanese forces that could have been used elsewhere, even if a lot of those armies in China by 1943/44 were of lesser quality. But what a lot of people aren't aware of is that around 2 million Chinese collaborated and served in the Japanese army, which is a huge amount. It's been pretty overlooked.

Have you been to George Washington's estate at Mount Vernon? I donate to the foundation that maintains it but haven't made the pilgrimage to his final resting place in Virginia yet. It managed to escape damage during the Civil War and served as a neutral site where both union and confederate soldiers alike would drop their arms and remove their uniforms before touring the grounds.

Such is the gravity and respect for the Commander-in-Chief of the Revolutionary Army, Chairman of the Constitutional Convention, unanimously elected OG President, and the only to hold office with no formal affiliation to a political party -- first in war, first in peace, first in the hearts of his countrymen. The Father of the United States. The number of times his contemporaries pleaded for him to take power in a significant capacity both militarily and politically only for him to voluntarily relinquish it every time after serving his duties is almost comical.

I have not and i regret not focusing on the Washington trail, but it's something i definitely want to do. Funny thing, each time i've been to the region, i was excited to go but NONE of my american friends wanted to (why???), so i basically would have had to go alone, and ended up not going.

It's hard to look at Washington's life and not see a modern Cincinnatus. Even King George had words about Washington's decision to relinquish power when there would be nobody to stop him and basically nobody that wanted him to. He's so important for America, and world history as well, that it's an absolute tragedy he isn't revered more in the US.

It's definitely a place to visit and for sure i am going to do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Real Deal
Back