Warming up Before Max Bench Press?

johil d'o

Thought Warrior
@Black
Reaction score
How do you properly warm up before a max bench press? Obviously you don't want to do so much lifting in advance that you deplete your power before your max attempt.

last time i over did my warm up before i maxed. i was going for 315 1 rep. i did the bar 10 times, then 135 5 times. rest for 30 sec, 225 3 times fast. 30 sec, 275 once, easily. then i fucking did 275 again about a minute later and it felt heavier so i was a little down, then i barely missed 315 a couple minutes later. so i am saying dont do too much before hand, or dont over warm up

not a very good bump as the link appears to be invalid now

Nice bump.

That link doesn't work, so there's not a whole lot of info here worth bumping.

edit: Damn you, Ronin!

Bump for newbies wondering about going for 1rms.

lol did you get hacked? theres no info in this thread. The only potentially good link is dead =D

lolz at matteroverMOM being super fast as always ;)

edit: WTF double pwnt!! jeez ronin

I didn't actually check the link TBH. I really just felt like necromancing an ancient thread.

I didn't actually check the link TBH. I really just felt like necromancing an ancient thread.

Actually how did you even find this thread? It has to be the most absolute useless thread ever posted in S&P. There is literally no content in the first few posts due to the only insightful link being down.

Actually how did you even find this thread? It has to be the most absolute useless thread ever posted in S&P. There is literally no content in the first few posts due to the only insightful link being down.

I just clicked "last" on the thread topic page links and looked through a few fairly quickly.

I appreciate the bump and the new links, so...

RNJJ.jpg

The original link says

Bulgarian Method

This is a three week phase designed for those who have a tremendous work capacity. This is NOT for beginners! For those that do this cycle, you should have at least 8 weeks of prep work that includes conditioning and progressively training your body for a large amount of volume and intensity. The same exercise is to be used for three weeks, the last week being a deload week. After doing the one exercise, not much is to be done for the workout. This is because of the tremendous load; you will be physically and mentally exhausted.

A good way to prepare for this cycle is to perform the first 7 sets (from 50% to 100%) and then dropping down to 90% for 1 set. After that set, stop the workout; the next week add in one more set at or above 90%. Deload the following week and begin the training cycle listed below. I would not recommend doing this style of training for very long as it can be very difficult on the body and mind.

Week I
# 1x5 @ 50%
# 1x3 @ 60%
# 1x2 @ 70%
# 1x1 @ 80%
# 1x1 @ 90%
# 1x1 @ 95%
# 1x1 @ 100%
# 1x1 @ 90%
# 1x1@ 95%
# 1x1 @ 100+% (try to beat old record)

Week II - same as week one (same exercise/set and rep scheme)

Week III - This is a deload week (use same exercise)
# 1x5 @ 50%
# 1x3 @ 60%
# 1x2 @ 70%
# 1x1 @ 80%

Notes:
# Same exercise to be used for all three weeks.
# For advanced lifters and those that have great work capacities.
# Must prepare for this wave; don

From Andy Boltons website:

How to warm up and prime the Central Nervous System to lift massive weights

I see lots of athletes and bodybuilders go into the gym, put 100kg/225lbs on the bar and start benching straight away. This is a recipe for less than optimal performance and injury. Here's a better way to warm up for the Bench Press for an athlete with a 1RM of 150kg who wants to do 3 sets with 85% of his 1RM for 4 to 5 reps:

Eliptical/Treadmill: 3 to 5 minutes (walking pace)
Foam roll
Static stretches for Hip Flexors, followed by activation and mobility movements (Glute Bridges, Arm Circles etc)
Bar x 10 x 2
40kg x 5 x 2
60kg x 5 x 2
80kg x 5
100kg x 3
115kg x 1
127.5kg x 5 (85%)
127.5kg x 4 (85%)
127.5kg x 4 (85%)

Give this a try the next time your in the gym and see how much better you feel and perform!

Back