Warm-Ups

It depends on the day for us.

If a tournament is coming up, we do a little bit more cardio and rolling. Run around for 5 minutes, backwards, sideways, touching the knees, ankles, crossing the legs, etc.. Then we do 10-20 jumping jacks each, 10-20 situps each, and a few sets of pushups. After that, we stretch out for a good 5-10 minutes and just roll. No technique, just rolling. One of the black belt instructors does BRUTAL warm ups prior to big tournaments like the worlds and Pan-Ams. We do fireman carries, arm bars from guard for 5 minutes each while he walks around and tells you to hurry the hell up, triangles, omoplatas, and whatever else he thinks up. He will also have us drag each other across the mats holding onto each others gis with just our fingertips, leap frog each other, do the scarecrow, etc.. He is a maniac. I've seen quite a few people puke from his warmups. I almost puked once because we were pyramiding sprawls.. He'd have us do jumping jacks, then yell SPRAWL! We'd do one, then back to jumping jacks, then two, then three, etc.. he got up to 15, and I thought I was going to die. People were falling flat on their faces for the sprawls and cussing like sailors.

Normal days, we jog for about 5 minutes, do some front and back rolls, shrimp across the mats a few times, duck walk, crab walk, bear crawls, etc. It usually lasts about 10 minutes. We follow up with stretching, then work some technique and roll for the rest of the class.

I'm not a big fan of the brutal warm-ups because I work my cardio on my own time, usually right before class. Then he slams us with that. Oh well, I still love him as a coach with all of my heart.

We usually start with drilling technique, sometimes a known series or sometimes a new technique. Occasionally we start rolling or with guard pass drill. Any warm-up is left to the individual and is typically done before class starts. I've done it other ways with other instructors (both bjj and other styles) and I definitely prefer this method.

Interesting thread. I always wondered where our warmups stood compared to other schools.

Gauging on what I have read, I think we are somehwere in the middle...

Jumping Jacks
Front Jumping Jacks
Knee bends

Running
Side Running
Backwards
Carioci ?
Knees Up
Touch Heals
Sprints - length of mat

Monkey Movement - front and back
Samuari Walk
Hip Escapes - front and back
Shoulder escapes
Hip Hip escapes (spinning on your back, legs up etc..)
Upas

Kick the Moon
Speonk ? (walk on wall and spin)
Roll back twice
Push Ups

Neck excersices

then Stretch.

Not insane, but enough to get you sweaty and breathing heavy.

*Some sort of ballgame usually jsut to get us going or running +

Either running with sprints, jumps, sprawls etc etc or circuit training

Circuit training= caliostenics, about 10 stations, 3 laps, declinging rest period

Often some sort of push/pull/lift/drag thing done with gi or belt

Seals, shrimps, mopeds, rolls ukemi

usually about 35-40 minutes

man thats a lot of warming up. warm ups should be sport specific drills until you are warm enough not to tear your muscles apart. If I want to do the crazy shit you guys do, I'll join cross fit.

I agree it takes up too much time, but we can often stretch oour classes over 2 hours so I am not really botherd

I have been arriving early for a while and play around with one of those pilates balls you know like Frank Shamrock

I love it,

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/C_jz-t6_GBg&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/C_jz-t6_GBg&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

And it is not like I do any cardio outside of judo tbh, futsal for 2 hours on Saturdays doesn't really count

Back