War Room Lounge v54: I was there for Kimura-Gracie, solid crowd

When did you start watching MMA?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's more than 20 years later, and I still haven't figured out how I feel about all the characters in the Lewinsky scandal.

Ken Starr is obviously an enormous piece of shit. Lucianne Goldberg is obviously a piece of shit as well.

Linda Tripp and Bill Clinton are on the lower tier of pieces of shit.

Lewinsky definitely got the worst treatment relative to her supposed wrongdoing. I don't buy that she was tantamount to a rape victim, and I think she was most likely a full participant in the courtship with Bill, but the narrative that she was a gold digger, a fame-seeker, or an extortionist is just factually ludicrous.

Ha, I wasn't watching the dark ages matches, though. I was watching the early era matches during the dark ages period. Although Frank Shamrock did later become my favorite fighter. And he still is (after Fedor, and tied with Cain and Nick Diaz).

She just rode the wave. I dont believe she had much choice after the affair was found out. She has done a fair job of staying out of the spot light since then.

Trump recently helped an impoverished Sherdog poster whose casters on his ancient office chair finally gave way:

gWpvHUI.jpg

Agree or disagree?

"The Industrial Revolution and its consequences have been a disaster for the human race. They have greatly increased the life-expectancy of those of us who live in "advanced" countries, but they have destabilized society, have made life unfulfilling, have subjected human beings to indignities, have led to widespread psychological suffering (in the Third World to physical suffering as well) and have inflicted severe damage on the natural world.

The continued development of technology will worsen the situation. It will certainly subject human beings to greater indignities and inflict greater damage on the natural world, it will probably lead to greater social disruption and psychological suffering, and it may lead to increased physical suffering even in "advanced" countries."

Holy hell, Mick's "saying racial minority US citizens born in the US should go back to where they came from is not racist" meltdown is the ultimate caricature of the uber-pedantry response to discussions of racism, where you just proffer a definition of racism so mindlessly specific, obscure, and irrational that the term becomes meaningless to actual discourse and you have to move onto using another term (which persons like Mick will inevitably behave the same way toward).

Holy hell, Mick's "saying racial minority US citizens born in the US should go back to where they came from is not racist" meltdown is the ultimate caricature of the uber-pedantry response to discussions of racism, where you just proffer a definition of racism so mindlessly specific, obscure, and irrational that the term becomes meaningless to actual discourse and you have to move onto using another term (which persons like Mick will inevitably behave the same way toward).
If you guys feel so strongly about it, maybe you should all go back to Latvia and deal with the real problems there.

Agree or disagree?

"The Industrial Revolution and its consequences have been a disaster for the human race. They have greatly increased the life-expectancy of those of us who live in "advanced" countries, but they have destabilized society, have made life unfulfilling, have subjected human beings to indignities, have led to widespread psychological suffering (in the Third World to physical suffering as well) and have inflicted severe damage on the natural world.

The continued development of technology will worsen the situation. It will certainly subject human beings to greater indignities and inflict greater damage on the natural world, it will probably lead to greater social disruption and psychological suffering, and it may lead to increased physical suffering even in "advanced" countries."

Very strongly disagree.

Anybody wanna go halves on one of these? It comes with Nancy Pelosi riding on a donkey!

My basic problem with "thinking, fast and slow" types of analogies to human development involving dangerous animals or danger in general is that those things never fucking happened. We always knew the lion was dangerous, with very brief exceptions for human migration (as Lewis Black more or less puts it, "they come to America, and they walk around a corner and there are different.fuck.animals! A moose. What the fuck is that?! Holy shit!"). And those exceptions occur with our instincts already in place (and we may have even migrated with them), so we never strolled over to the lion even when we migrated.

There simply wasn't a time when people were unfamiliar with their surroundings and had to learn to avoid predators as a species, and that goes back all the way to whatever the primordial shitty fuckers in the oceans or shallow ponds were doing to each other. The reason the analogy is also functionally bad is that it feeds into this idea that there was ever a time when humans or our predecessors were in some naive or pure state. That's just wrong, that's not fucking how selection for these traits took place. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

I can't even keep up with which shit threads you guys are referring to anymore.

And damn you @Prokofievian for making me sift through the baying hyenas in the Mexican flag thread to look for a single philosophy reference that was not just wrong but also a self-contradiction!

I love how you made 2005 the TUF option and then went unlabelled for 2006-2010 @Fawlty.
Even better is how everyone's avoided it. :D

Um from what I can see all the best and most tasteful and distinguished posters picked that option.

Griffin-Evans sold me on the idea and and Fight Night recaps on Spike TV hooked me.

My basic problem with "thinking, fast and slow" types of analogies to human development involving dangerous animals or danger in general is that those things never fucking happened. We always knew the lion was dangerous, with very brief exceptions for human migration (as Lewis Black more or less puts it, "they come to America, and they walk around a corner and there are different.fuck.animals! A moose. What the fuck is that?! Holy shit!"). And those exceptions occur with our instincts already in place (and we may have even migrated with them), so we never strolled over to the lion even when we migrated.

There simply wasn't a time when people were unfamiliar with their surroundings and had to learn to avoid predators as a species, and that goes back all the way to whatever the primordial shitty fuckers in the oceans or shallow ponds were doing to each other. The reason the analogy is also functionally bad is that it feeds into this idea that there was ever a time when humans or our predecessors were in some naive or pure state. That's just wrong, that's not fucking how selection for these traits took place. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

What about you, a person who admits you are more aware of your surroundings when surrounded by non white people?

Correct rankings:

1. Fedor
2. Ubereem (look at Werdum II: Werdum had lost before entering the cage)
3. Ngannou
4. Brock
5. Kongo
6. Paul Harris (he might end your career and you can't reason with him because he's a moron)
7. Wanderlei
8. Ken Shamrock
9. Nick Diaz
10. Robbie Lawler

Guys...guys, here's a dog watching "The Lion King":

You should email Crave. Be the change you want to see in the world.

Correct rankings:

1. Fedor
2. Ubereem (look at Werdum II: Werdum had lost before entering the cage)
3. Ngannou
4. Brock
5. Kongo
6. Paul Harris (he might end your career and you can't reason with him because he's a moron)
7. Wanderlei
8. Ken Shamrock
9. Nick Diaz
10. Robbie Lawler

Prime Anderson Silva needs to be on there. Guys legit looked scared to be locked in a cage with him during his reign, and just hoping to make it to the end of the bell without being on the wrong side of a highlight reel KO.

Problem was it all went to his head and then he started thinking he was a God tier fighter and dancing around mocking, making some of the lackluster fights his fault as well

Prime Anderson Silva needs to be on there. Guys legit looked scared to be locked in a cage with him during his reign, and just hoping to make it to the end of the bell without being on the wrong side of a highlight reel KO.

Problem was it all went to his head and then he started thinking he was a God tier fighter and dancing around mocking, making some of the lackluster fights his fault as well
Well the problem is he got busted for being steroid monster.

Well the problem is he got busted for being steroid monster.

So did Ubereem who is accurately high up on this list.

The prompt was "most intimidating" fighters. Not something more broad like best or most talented, where roid usage would be a negative factor in play.

Should Kongo really be on your list there @Trotsky? He looked physically intimidating like Ngannou, but what did Kongo actually do in the cage to leave future opponents potentially scared?

Anderson never really seemed intimidating to me personally. The height of his scariness imo was after Rich II.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back