War Room Lounge v53: Short Notice

How do you sleep?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If Rey was twelve would you feel the same way? Can't be too hard to believe a twelve year old can keep up with an adult male because of space magic right? But still, wouldn't those fight scenes look like shit with a twelve year old actor?
If Rey was 12, they would either have to show something earlier to display how much raw space magic she has in her or have her fight in a way where she used her wits to win against a larger opponent to make the fight more believable.
In TFA, they at least were able to show that Rey was naturally powerful despite having no training, and Kylo was wounded before they fought.

EDIT: movies that are grounded in fantasy need to play by the logical rules they create. If Rey was a freakishly powerful 12 year old and they do a good job of showing just how powerful she is, then a fight against a grown man can be believable.
Think of a ridiculous movie like 3 Ninjas. 3 kids beating up adults is absurd, but the movie establishes that they are stronger than normal kids and that adults are weak as shit by the time the main characters have to fight off 50 adult henchmen. Its not realistic, but the movie follows its own logic so it isn't as hard to suspend disbelief.

Last edited:
If Rey was 12, they would either have to show something earlier to display how much raw space magic she has in her or have her fight in a way where she used her wits to win against a larger opponent to make the fight more believable.
In TFA, they at least were able to show that Rey was naturally powerful despite having no training, and Kylo was wounded before they fought.
All TFA did for me was make Kylo Ren look like a giant bitch.

Like, first of all... Fucking Finn Mr. "I was a Stormtrooper and shouldn't be able to hit SHIT" manages to bumble his way to injuring Ren then a person with no experience wielding a lightsaber smashes him. Like... come on bro.... you're related to Vader and Luke you pussy.

EVEN HIS FUCKING MASTER MOCKS HIS ASS FOR IT!

Oof, the rainbow flag thread is off to a brutal start.

All TFA did for me was make Kylo Ren look like a giant bitch.

Like, first of all... Fucking Finn Mr. "I was a Stormtrooper and shouldn't be able to hit SHIT" manages to bumble his way to injuring Ren then a person with no experience wielding a lightsaber smashes him. Like... come on bro.... you're related to Vader and Luke you pussy.

EVEN HIS FUCKING MASTER MOCKS HIS ASS FOR IT!

I could never take that guy serious as a badass. It's probably because I had an ex that watched that show Girls and he banged Lena Dunham in it.

My brother keeps trying to get me to watch action movies that star Jim from the office and I can't buy him as a badass either.

If Rey was twelve would you feel the same way? Can't be too hard to believe a twelve year old can keep up with an adult male because of space magic right? But still, wouldn't those fight scenes look like shit with a twelve year old actor?

Centaurs and dragons in fantasy generally have an internally consistent logic for their existence. The same should apply to human populations. You shouldn't make half your cast under 4'11" without an internally consistent explanation.

Even if you have an internally consistent reason it can still stand out. A good example of this with white people would be having Matt Damon star in a movie about the Great Wall of China or having Tom Cruise star in The Last Samurai. Even if there is an explanation in the film as to why that is its still obviously done so as to make the films palatable to a general audience in America. So seeing them pulls you out of the film and makes you aware of the meta concerns of the film studio. Another example are random Chinese actors in Hollywood blockbusters like King King; more discerning film goers will immediately be aware of their presence as part of the studio's strategy to appeal to the Chinese audience.

But again to be fair I acknowledge that some people make these kinds of objections for the wrong reasons. If you get bothered by a POC in a medieval European setting but not white characters in Oriental settings that suggests something to me.

Kickass was pretty good with a 12 year old girl kicking ass

I could never take that guy serious as a badass. It's probably because I had an ex that watched that show Girls and he banged Lena Dunham in it.

My brother keeps trying to get me to watch action movies that star Jim from the office and I can't buy him as a badass either.
I still haven’t seen the third new Star Wars movie.

Watch 13 Hours. Jim and the dude from the warehouse are both in it and virtually unrecognizable

I still haven’t seen the third new Star Wars movie.

Watch 13 Hours. Jim and the dude from the warehouse are both in it and virtually unrecognizable

Liked the Force Awakens, thought Rogue One was better.

I didn't like The Last Jedi.

@Prokofievian

Perhaps I'm just more sensitive to techno-optimistic silliness as an engineer than you are, but, I see it as actually a small part of the problem that has some policy implications. This is not just his response to Pope Francis, this is his response to everyone who doesn't think there's a market solution for climate change on anything near the time scale required.

To ground this with example, Peterson (who is far worse in this regard, not drawing a direct comparison between them) recently tweeted about a carbon sequestration technology, with some shitty quip somewhere along the lines of what Pinker does here. Meanwhile, anyone with a basic command of arithmetic (and @Cuauhtemoc certainly qualifies) would notice from the very article that the technology in question is several (like 5 or 6, IIRC) orders of magnitude off. From an economics perspective, it doesn't take into account that carbon is free, at the moment and thus there is no market case for Liberalism^(TM) to go to work. But here's where policy comes in: techno optimism is currently being invoked in Canada currently by the conservative party who now admits that ''something must be done'' about Climate Change. Their solution? If you pollute more than a certain amount (40kT per year CO2 equivalent) then you have to invest in ''green technology research.'' The investment can be in your own company. What a fucking joke. At the moment, a carbon tax, which is just flat out the best economic approach to the problem is being portrayed as drastic, and irrational, and harmful to Canadians etc. what we need is ''Technology, not taxes.'' And Pinker would probably agree. And he's wrong.

I don't recall well enough to know what his take on a carbon tax is, but I'd say that a carbon tax is kind of a market-based solution, in that the current situation (i.e., no carbon tax) allows companies to incur costs that they don't pay. We don't have a proper market, and taxation could create one. That said, I like the idea of the gov't directly funding R&D, with the aim of developing exportable green tech. Since we don't control what other countries do, exporting green tech seems to me to be an important tool in the box. I'm not speaking for Pinker there (I could just go back and read the chapter, but not feeling it at the moment--I'm reading "The Savage Detectives" and "Catching Fire" and I don't want to get off), but I'd be surprised if he disagreed with that.

Swalwell the first one out of the clown car

Damnit. There really should have been some bets on the first candidate to formally back out

Swalwell the first one out of the clown car

Damnit. There really should have been some bets on the first candidate to formally back out

No one likes him, its not a shock that he bounced. I did think @Fawlty's dream girl Williamson would go first though.

Anyone know anything about Des Moines? Iowa is one of the only states I haven’t ever been to, but there’s a training there I might go to in a couple months. Not somewhere I’m excited to go tbh.

@luckyshot I've solved the problem of free will. Took a couple years of thinking, but finally have this one licked.

No one likes him, its not a shock that he bounced. I did think @Fawlty's dream girl Williamson would go first though.

I am hoping 4chan or some other autist community finds a way to rig the polls and get her into the 2nd round of the debates

Anyone know anything about Des Moines? Iowa is one of the only states I haven’t ever been to, but there’s a training there I might go to in a couple months. Not somewhere I’m excited to go tbh.
Iowa sucks pretty hard imo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back