• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

War Room Lounge v124: Just beat the **** out of your roommate and claim his property as your own

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next fred poll - prime Randy vs Wandy
lol first I'll need a poll to determine when Couture's prime actually was. Wandy's is obvious, when he was laying out Rampage and Saku in between burtalizing cans. Randy's was when he...uh...crap.

Just finished The Last Dance, I was completely unaware of backstory of Steve Kerr's dad. That is pretty crazy stuff.

Dennis Rodman has lived a full life to say the least.

Some day people are going to look back at the life of Dennis Rodman and say, "dear god, how did you all not cherish every second that you had him?"

Same with Chuck Barkley.

Pelosi calling Trump morbidly obese is hilarious in that you know it's going to seep into every single thing he does today. If he meets with a Japanese PM, you can bet he'll mention it.

Of course, he's not actually morbidly obese. He's just ordinary American obese.

lol first I'll need a poll to determine when Couture's prime actually was. Wandy's is obvious, when he was laying out Rampage and Saku in between burtalizing cans. Randy's was when he...uh...crap.
When Randy was destroying Belfort in 2004. The same Belfort who knocked the fuck out of Wandy.
Randy was pretty good between 2003-2008. He also won against giant Tim Sylvia, Wandy never beat a legit guy that big. Not to mention, Wandy has no chance if we have some drug testing.

Good point, I would leave that to the respondent :).

This has probably been done a 1000 times before (the Silva couture comparison) but I take a bit of a different take on it. I did a complete review of their fight history, did some classifying, added up the numbers, and then did a qualitative review of the numbers (I think my dorkness has reached new heights).

During the Silva / Couture comparison, much has been made of their respective records. Silva the Can opener vs. the “Fence” Couture, etc. . So I have reviewed the fighter’s battles and sorted out there records by Impressive wins, less (but still) impressive wins, non impressive wins, important losses and finally non important losses. I grouped the fights based primarily on the quality of the opponent, but other factors (i.e. if they had already fought three times, nature of the win/loss , etc) were also considered. I also looked at what type of format the combat took place in (ring vs. cage). My summary of the 2 fighters records (no contests, ties, etc. , are ignored) is at the end of this post.

At first glance Silva looks much more impressive than Couture. Besides the sheer number of fights, Silva has a record of 26-3 vs. 13-6 for Couture. Silva has lost less than once for every 8 times he wins. Plus All of those loses happened pre 2000 (1 in 2000, 1 1998, and 1 in 1997). In contrast Couture has lost almost once for every 2 times he wins.

However as has been said before by many sherdoggers, we need to look at the quality of these wins. Silva has beat great guys but has fought a lot of cans. Silva, IMO has only 8 wins that are at all impressive. Yuki Kondo, Quinton Jackson, Hidehiko Yoshida, Kazushi Sakuraba 1, Kazushi Sakuraba 2, Dan Henderson, Guy Mezger, and Mike Van Arsdale . The remainder of his wins are, IMO, vs. Cans or at least B level fighters. Sak 3 is not impressive as it was the third time giving a beat down to a now aging fighter. Let me know if I neglected someone and why, and I will alter the post if it makes sense

Out of those 8 wins that I consider at all important only 5 stand out to me as truly impressive. Quinton Jackson, Kazushi Sakuraba 1, Dan Henderson, Guy Mezger, and possibly Mike Van Arsdale. Sak 2 was less impressive as it merely proved that Sak 1 was no fluke. As well it was fairly close to their first fight. Nevertheless, I did not call it non impressive because it was their most competitive fight as, IMO, Sak was winning the first round. The Yoshida fight proved that Yoshida was good, and IMO, you can not apply circular logic. Doing well against Silva brought Yoshida up, and does not therefore bring Silva up at the same time. Finally, Kondo is a known fighter who has beaten big names in the past, so Kudos for Silva mashing him, but that was not a truly impressive win either.

As far as Silva’s losses go, there are so few of them and they are so long ago it is hard to say much. The one against Artur Mariano was cut related and happened in 1997. Plus Silva looked like he was getting the better of that match before the cut stoppage, therefore that one is not relevant to me. The Tito fight shows that Silva can be manhandled by a stronger wrestler and Belfort shows that Silva can be knocked out, even if it is a statistical oddity.

Randy Couture, again IMO, has 9 wins out of 13 that are impressive to some degree. Vitor Belfort 3, Tito Ortiz, Chuck Liddell, Pedro Rizzo, Tsuyoshi Kohsaka, Kevin Randleman, Jeremy Horn, Maurice Smith, Vitor Belfort1. 2 of these fighters are ones that beat Silva long ago. Again let me know if I neglected someone. Out of those 9 wins that I consider at all important, 8 of them stand out to me as truly impressive. Vitor 2 is important as it is recent and showed that time and the improved experience of Vitor means nothing in terms of Couture’s ability to win. The only fighter that I saw as less impressive on this list is TK, and this is debatable. Any of these fighters compare to Guy or MV Arsedale whom I classified as impressive for Silva.

Couture has had for more losses than Silva with 6 in all. Belfort 2 does not need any comment. Josh and Ricco are less important as these guys merely prove that when you are outweighed by 30 lbs it is hard to maintain a wrestler’s advantage for 5 straight rounds. Plus with Josh, the roid factor has to be taken into account. His other three losses are important simply because they all happened in the ring and were all by submission (even though like Silva they happened long ago in 2001, 1999, 1998).

Based on the above my first conclusion is that Randy has the more impressive win history than Silva.

Couture has also beaten some of the best strikers in the game. However none of them have Silva’s BJJ ability. Couture did beat Jeremy Horn and TK, who have strong sub skills (TK I think he does but not sure on this). Still Randy does have those three long ago loses by submissions. Silva’s BJJ has not really been seen to date, but if it is as good as some think, then Randy might find this fight harder than the other strikers he has faced in the past.

Silva has beaten MVA and more importantly Dan Henderson.( Although Dan gave Silva a lot of trouble before the JD loss). While both of the previously mentioned fighters, especially Dan, are top level wrestlers, none of them are as powerful as Couture. I can not see Silva being able to hold the top position (like he did at times with Dan) on Randy for more than a split second. And Silva did lose to Tito. Yes Tito happened long ago. But Tito has also improved since then and he was recently spanked by Randy.

My second conclusion is that as far as style match up goes, Randy, who has been much more of a Striker killer than Silva has been a wrestler killer, comes out ahead. This would change if Silva’s subs had been demonstrated, but IMO they have not, so it merely a matter of speculation as to how much of a factor they would be.

Now finally there is the issue of rings vs. cage. It is important to note that 17/18 wins for Silva were in a ring and 2/3 (the important ones) of his losses were in a cage. Couture won 10/13 fights in a cage and 3/6 of his losses (the important ones) were in a ring. It should never be forgotten that the Couture ring losses were by submission not strikes. Silva only lost once in the ring (classified as his one non important loss). As already said, in the cage he was out wrestled by Tito. In the ring Silva has beaten the 2 wrestlers he has faced.

So for me the Ring vs. Cage issue is a real one. Silva does better in the Ring. He has 2 few losses on the cage to make any definitive decisions, but based on Tito, it does not look promising. Randy has been subbed a lot in the ring but not outstriked, however removing the cage would taken away from his strengths.

So as far as who is the better fighter? Well Couture has a more impressive fight history and also wins the style match up , while the Ring vs. Cage is a tie between them both (Randy cage vs. Wandy Ring). Therefore, I would have to call Randy the better NHB fighter, on paper at least.
Great breakdown , no love for Randy's win over Tim Sylvia ?

Ring v cage, and rules mean everything for this match up.

Soccer kicks stop wrestlers!!!!

tumblr_mlwkkg9M4Q1qhndw9o1_400.gif

The fucking sound that old lady makes when the gets knocked out by a slap at the end oh my God.

Horse meat Wandy brutalizes Randy. If Chuck could do it, Wand would put his lights out.

Horse meat Wandy vs Horse meat Randy or UFC Wandy vs UFC Randy. Chuck > Wandy. Also Chuck is a way better wrestler than Wandy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back