War of the Worlds (2005) is underrated IMO

Drain Bamage

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Spielberg's War of the Worlds has a 6.5 on iMDB, the same score as The Phantom Menace. IMO it's a much better movie than that though.

It's one of the densest 110-minute movies. It has like 10 minutes of setup in the beginning and after that it's like 100 minutes of one huge set piece to the next. All shot with a gritty, grainy feel reminiscent of his work on Saving Private Ryan, he was trying to give the movie that same kind of perspective. An ordinary mans view of an alien invasion and I think he succeeds brilliantly. Not a perfect movie but deserves atleast a 7.0 on iMDB imo.

^ look how technically brilliant this scene is, most people don't even notice how badass this camera work is and the fact that's a long continuous shot

I loved this movie. That first clip you posted with the horn was terrying on the big screen.
I did hate how the aliens died because of bacteria though, how fucking stupid were they lol. It was still a fun ride!

My fav scenes though are Tom losing his shit, really paralleled his IRL batshit personna we started to know about. I never cared though, as he pretty much always delivers on film!

Great movie. I also remember accidentally renting some shitty knockoff from blockbuster...

The kids were insufferable

As i imagine most would be during a traumatic situation

Although the teen wanting to fight and die was dumb lol

Dakota fanning almost ruins the movie. So damn annoying in this.

I didn't finish watching it. When it came out I didn't hear anyone say anything good about it.

Something about the aliens destroying all electronics and then Tom Cruise shows up with working van, camcorder and monitor, was that ever explained? I might be misremembering this or it got an explanation later on.

Not as good as Lone Survivor.

Underrated? I can't think of a single movie starring Tom Cruise that is underrated.

Thanks for reminding me about this movie. I'm gonna rewatch it tonight.

One of my favorite theater experiences of all time. I didn’t know what the movie was about, so it blew my fucking mind

Great movie. That train on fire racing by was chilling. Tim Robbins did a great job too.

Watching little Dakota Fanning, I thought I was looking at a little 10 year old Bette Davis (future great).

I actually thought it was a better film after a second watch.

Some parts were pretty good but overall it was an okay film with a crap ending. Similar to The Signs, but at least people went on debating The Signs "deeper" meaning that if the whole narrative is about religion instead of actual Alien.

But I can understand if people prefer films with explosions and loud noise.

i'll have to give it a rewatch.

I remember the first time I saw it but that could because I was viewing it through the eyes of nostalgia for the original.

It maybe has the most anticlimactic ending of all cinema.

Agreed, I like this movie quite a bit. The son plays a main role in that Netflix sci-fi show, Another Life (which I enjoyed as well).

Back