War Conor, Paddy and Pendred

Britiain is a completely different island, Parke is not from there. And "as far as the UK is concerned" doesn't matter a tap to anyone outside the UK, the UK is just another small country in a big world.

Sure, Britain is an island distinct from NI, but "British" is the demonym for a citizen of the United Kingdom, of which NI is a part. Therefore, a Northern Irishman = citizen of UK = British.

Parke is British.

Why isn't Aisling Daly fighting?

She was offered a fight on either this card or the TUF finale, she chose the TUF finale. Would be nice to see her on this but her last fight was only a month ago and everyone isn't Donald Cerrone unfortunitely.

Sure, Britain is an island distinct from NI, but "British" is the demonym for a citizen of the United Kingdom, of which NI is a part. Therefore, a Northern Irishman = citizen of UK = British.

Parke is British.

Thank you, he isn't getting it.

Parke is British.

He's Northern Irish actually. The most recent NI census found this to be the most common national identity whereas the census used to show either British or Irish. Himself, like Rory McIlroy and Carl Frampton are very much all-Ireland athletes. I know to outsiders it might seem simple to define these things but in reality, the situation has been changing here and improving over the last years. This is why you see a guy like Norman taking pride in being Irish and fighting on the Dublin and Boston cards, and you see Rory McIlroy choosing to join the Irish Olympic team rather than the UK one. I'm not replying to anything else on this subject because it's a very base discussion and absolutely pointless to discuss with people who don't understand the complexities of it.

He's Northern Irish actually. The most recent NI census found this to be the most common national identity whereas the census used to show either British or Irish. Himself, like Rory McIlroy and Carl Frampton are very much all-Ireland athletes. I know to outsiders it might seem simple to define these things but in reality, the situation has been changing here and improving over the last years. This is why you see a guy like Norman taking pride in being Irish and fighting on the Dublin and Boston cards, and you see Rory McIlroy choosing to join the Irish Olympic team rather than the UK one. I'm not replying to anything else on this subject because it's a very base discussion and absolutely pointless to discuss with people who don't understand the complexities of it.

I never said he was British to the exclusion of being Irish; simply that he is, inescapably, undeniably, regardless of how he sees himself, British. He may be a Briton that feels Irish, but regardless of what's in his heart, his passport says "British."

Per the Good Friday agreement he qualifies as both an Irish and British citizen or he might just view himself as Northern Irish.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back