Wants to do BJJ but...

UKGaz

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've wanted to take up BJJ for quite a few years but one thing has always stopped me. I've had tendonitus in both wrists for a few years and recently had prolotherapy injections to help repair/ rebuild them. I'e started weight training again for the first time in 3 years ( only light, ie benching 45kilos - used to do 102 before injured and don't expect to ever get back to that) I'm 6ft and 156 pounds. My wrists used to hurt 24/7 but not any more due to the injections and using magnetic therapy but a not 100%

If I take up BJJ will it put a huge strain on my wrists? ( this is probably a stupid question) I'm quite prepared to do some private lessons to see if my body can take it before joining a class

Have you guys had many injuries to your wrists from grappling

Cheers

Gareth

Only if you get wristlocked a lot. Otherwise, no. If anything getting used to gripping gis will help rehab your wrists.

Thanks Superbeast. If I do start I'll make sure defending against wristlocks is near the top of my priority list

I don't run into too many wrist injuries or even wrist locks, but your wrists will get twited around a bit (just following your fingers), and you will wear out your forearms the same way a long motorcycle ride does, but in the end it should just strengthen your grip, and thus your wrists.

You could always give no gi a try if you find the gi grips irritating your condition, though. Give it a try, can't hurt in moderation, right?

Has anyone else noticed my problem? Since starting grappling with a gi a month ago, I noticed my fingers feel really sore and it hurts a little to bend them (like typing ironically). Before, when I started grappling six months ago, I didn't wear a gi and I didn't have that pain in my fingers. Now it could be a coincidence, but I want to make sure. As an aside, I noticed very very slight pains in my wrists more often than usual since starting with a gi, but it is hardly outside nominal tolerances.

I would say yes, you will be in a lot of pain. Most people with healthy wrists probably don't realize it, but there is a lot of strain put on them. There are a lot of collar and sleeve grabs, not to mention if you use a gable grip to secure an opponent. Really, the only way to know is to just find out.

I have tendonitis in 1 wrist & it's usually OK in BJJ. If it acts up, I tape it up & that helps a lot.

I have never been wristlocked in training, but had a few guys go for it. Just learn how to defend it & be sure to tap before they crank if overly concerned. Its just training, not worth an injury to an already injured body part. I'm sure you'll get some pains in the wrists from time to time, but you should be able to avoid injury. You'll get pains all over at first, but as your body adjusts, I bet the wrists get much stronger.

I train judo with a gi & BJJ no gi (mostly). I do notice the wrist gets wrenched a lot more with the gi. Its sometimes hard for me to do collar chokes because of limited mobility in 1 wrist & the pain of course when I twist it certain ways.

Thanks for the info guys. Good points about the gi

I am currently sitting out a week because I tried to fight through a wristlock, which in hindsight was totally stupid. What a hero, I was able to pass the guard but now I can't train for a week, have failed to improve in the meantime, and who knows how long it will take before my wrist is 100%. I'm trying to get the lesson down -- no ego, just tap, move on, and LEARN.

I think wristlocks are illegal to white belts and blues though so that shouldnt be to much of a problem. Or atleast thats what i was told.. could be wrong.. ive been wrist locked once while rolling but the guy was a blue belt and couldnt finish me.. got frustraded while i was defending a choke and slapped a wrist lock on.. he is a 2nd degree black belt in Aikido

Just train slow and let the guys you train with know your situation. Even if you just go slow and work through it you will love bjj.. Good luck man.

GET ON THE MAT!

I broke my hand this summer but after it "healed". I was supposed to do "therapy". Instead I went to BJJ and now my hand feels stronger then ever!!!1

I dont think going to a BJJ school is a good idea man.

IF you do, wear wrist protection like a skate boarder,
they will think your wearing MMA gloves and think its cool.

but seriously advice against it.

the gi grips hurt my fingers.
my wrist hurts like a MOFO, all it takes is one jack ass to crank it on,
or one asshole to go rough and get it entangled in his gi or something.

so I recommend NO.

It's not ideal if your wrists are weak. Not so much for wrist locks but in getting your hands tangled in jackets etc. plus the strain of hard gripping for extended periods. It's more the strain - there not THAT much risk with locks or getting tangled.

Maybe if you strap them well before every session & learn to grip lightly you might be OK. Honestly I think you'll just have to find out for yourself.

Go speak to the instructor and roll for a few sessions. See how you go during the technical part of the lesson & ask you partners to go easy until you are more confident in your wrists ability to handle the strain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back