WANTING TO TRY MMA-24yr old male 6ft 73in reach

Also need to add to those with advice or info that my normal weight is 175 i got down to 155 for mma training

This is a dumb thread, if you're interested in fighting amateur, join an mma gym or learn to develop sound skills in one area and work on from there.

Your coach will tell you if you're ready, there's no need to ask a bunch of people on the internet if you're ready just because you had think you're tough from a couple of drunk bar brawls.

Im not sure why most ppl replying are concentrating on the street fighting.its irrelevant to anything other than my standup game.thats why im asking ADVICE about other aspects of training.sounds like everyone is jealous about that or something why would i street fight in mma.thats why im here

Your street fighting is only relevant in that excessive street fighting makes you worse at MMA.

But if you want honest feedback.

1) Stop street fighting. Especially now that you are an adult.

2) Join a gym. That's the only way to get good at MMA.

3) If you absolutely can't afford to train, but really want to try MMA, sure you can probably find some local, amateur venue that will let you have a fight. Here is the risk you run: Yes you may get matched with some other completely untrained person and possibly win. More likely you will go against someone who seriously wants to compete in MMA and has trained seriously for 1-2 years. Or worst of all, even Wanderlei silva had a first fight ever and you get matched up with someone who massacres you. Anyway, the only scenario you win is the first one.

But if you can't train MMA, then at least you can train conditioning. Before you compete, you should be able to run 6 miles a day 3-4 days a week. You should probably do some crossfit type workouts more days than not.

Thank you and i am currently joining a gym thats why i posted this.to find out if training featherweight 145 would be suitable for someone my size and arm reach/experience(or the experience i explained)my style of fighting isn't dirty street fighting like ppl assume I trained boxing as a kid so I have sum of the same combos i've been using for years and incorporate front straight kicks that have been very effective.And i dont street fight for fun most have been guys around my area(which has alot of crime)I dont look for fights

This is a dumb thread, if you're interested in fighting amateur, join an mma gym or learn to develop sound skills in one area and work on from there.

Your coach will tell you if you're ready, there's no need to ask a bunch of people on the internet if you're ready just because you had think you're tough from a couple of drunk bar brawls.
Was never drunk these were disputes with sober individuals

Find a good gym, most specifically one that has a good environment that you're good with. Because thats really what it comes down to as a good gym, given of course the coaches aren't con-men (mcdojos).
Train diligently, listen to your coaches, then after some time (maybe 6 months - 1 year) your coach(es) can set up a fight and you can be on your way.

I don't think there will be a shortage of fights where you're from. MMA is huge in Cali.

I don't know how the gym culture in cali is, but where I am, most of the gyms (mostly in the city, country side gyms are a bit different) will only allow their guys to compete in MMA once they have some exp. competing in both striking and grappling. In other words, about 2+ fights in Muay Thai, and a few BJJ tournaments under their belt.
Around pre-2008, there were gyms that let fighters that was too one-dimensional to compete, and lose badly. Not only does the fighter get hurt, but it also makes the gym look bad as well.

Featherweight is fine, a bit light imo (10lbs), but if its your first fight, you're not really expected to do a full 20lb cut.

No offense but your thread title kinda sounds like an ad for some services (solicitation).

Jorge Masvidal got started in MMA via street fighting so anything is possible.

Consider this bro I'm 5'8" with a 72" reach, leanest I can get to is about down to 155.

You're 6', 72" reach is not very good at all, and depending how much you weigh you'd be fighting some big guys.

Find a good gym, most specifically one that has a good environment that you're good with. Because thats really what it comes down to as a good gym, given of course the coaches aren't con-men (mcdojos).
Train diligently, listen to your coaches, then after some time (maybe 6 months - 1 year) your coach(es) can set up a fight and you can be on your way.

I don't think there will be a shortage of fights where you're from. MMA is huge in Cali.

I don't know how the gym culture in cali is, but where I am, most of the gyms (mostly in the city, country side gyms are a bit different) will only allow their guys to compete in MMA once they have some exp. competing in both striking and grappling. In other words, about 2+ fights in Muay Thai, and a few BJJ tournaments under their belt.
Around pre-2008, there were gyms that let fighters that was too one-dimensional to compete, and lose badly. Not only does the fighter get hurt, but it also makes the gym look bad as well.

Featherweight is fine, a bit light imo (10lbs), but if its your first fight, you're not really expected to do a full 20lb cut.[/QUOTE
Thanks this is the kind of advice i was looking for it helped alot.The reason for the weight cut is to have somewhat of a size and reach advantage over that division.im lean already at 155 and maintained mostly the same amount of strength from when i was 175.so i feel maybe ten pounds less and i can keep some of that strength still and maybe throw around some of these guys.

Consider this bro I'm 5'8" with a 72" reach, leanest I can get to is about down to 155.

You're 6', 72" reach is not very good at all, and depending how much you weigh you'd be fighting some big guys.
Thats a pretty good reach for your size and my reach is 73.im planning on fighting featherweight

Thanks this is the kind of advice i was looking for it helped alot.The reason for the weight cut is to have somewhat of a size and reach advantage over that division.im lean already at 155 and maintained mostly the same amount of strength from when i was 175.so i feel maybe ten pounds less and i can keep some of that strength still and maybe throw around some of these guys.

It really depends on the local talent there, in terms of size. If wrestling is very heavy in Cali, then guys there will know how to cut weight, and even the amateurs will be cutting like pros.

I've said this in another thread, but where I am there is a lack of wrestling, and most of the guys here are strikers + TDD or pure BJJ guys; So overall, they are a bit taller than the average guy. 5'8-5'10 is pretty normal for featherweight here, a couple of guys are at 5'11. Also being strikers, most here diet down and cut minimal weight (Muay Thai events here are most oftenly same day weigh ins, so doing a full 20lb cut is a very bad idea). Only 3 gyms I know have fighters doing real cuts.

If the guys you will be competing against aren't cutting much like yourself, it will be fine. If not, you'll be going up against someone who's probably 5'7-5'8 @ 163-165lbs (18-20lb cut). I don't think the average ammy is cutting over 20lbs, no McGregor cuts at ammy imo, esp. at that weight class. Its not a 100% factor to deciding the fight, but it does affect it somewhat. My 2nd fight was a catch-weight fight, and my opponent ended up being 10-12lbs heavier than me. I felt the weight on the strikes. I'm normally pretty sturdy with my defense, and I still felt some push that moved me slightly.

Thats a pretty good reach for your size and my reach is 73.im planning on fighting featherweight

If you do that would certainly help you out more than anything else.

You have to get in and get to work though man, 24 isn't that young and street fight experience is slightly helpful, you have to remember street fights 8.5/10 times your up against somebody with no clue how to fight.

If you do that would certainly help you out more than anything else.

You have to get in and get to work though man, 24 isn't that young and street fight experience is slightly helpful, you have to remember street fights 8.5/10 times your up against somebody with no clue how to fight.
Ya thats true thanks for the input I appreciate it

It really depends on the local talent there, in terms of size. If wrestling is very heavy in Cali, then guys there will know how to cut weight, and even the amateurs will be cutting like pros.

I've said this in another thread, but where I am there is a lack of wrestling, and most of the guys here are strikers + TDD or pure BJJ guys; So overall, they are a bit taller than the average guy. 5'8-5'10 is pretty normal for featherweight here, a couple of guys are at 5'11. Also being strikers, most here diet down and cut minimal weight (Muay Thai events here are most oftenly same day weigh ins, so doing a full 20lb cut is a very bad idea). Only 3 gyms I know have fighters doing real cuts.

If the guys you will be competing against aren't cutting much like yourself, it will be fine. If not, you'll be going up against someone who's probably 5'7-5'8 @ 163-165lbs (18-20lb cut). I don't think the average ammy is cutting over 20lbs, no McGregor cuts at ammy imo, esp. at that weight class. Its not a 100% factor to deciding the fight, but it does affect it somewhat. My 2nd fight was a catch-weight fight, and my opponent ended up being 10-12lbs heavier than me. I felt the weight on the strikes. I'm normally pretty sturdy with my defense, and I still felt some push that moved me slightly.
Im only cutting 10 pounds do to the fact I've been maintaining 155lbs no problem.just have no gut and probably 15lbs less of muscle from 175.this is why i want to compete featherweight because of the fact that i havent lost much power so hopefully with dropping 10more won't lose much more

Im only cutting 10 pounds do to the fact I've been maintaining 155lbs no problem.just have no gut and probably 15lbs less of muscle from 175.this is why i want to compete featherweight because of the fact that i havent lost much power so hopefully with dropping 10more won't lose much more
You cut with water, so at the day you'd still be 155, there's no dropping to 145lbs by dieting. Basically you make weight by dehydrating yourself, and you spend the next day re-hydrating and recovering.

When you get more experienced, and can handle a full cut, you can slide down to bantam (135). Most organizations allow a 1-2lb allowance so it's all good.

You cut with water, so at the day you'd still be 155, there's no dropping to 145lbs by dieting. Basically you make weight by dehydrating yourself, and you spend the next day re-hydrating and recovering.

When you get more experienced, and can handle a full cut, you can slide down to bantam (135). Most organizations allow a 1-2lb allowance so it's all good.
So the day of the fight its possible to recover to my 155 size?that would be good news im still pretty sizeable at where im at now.and i feel at bantam thats too skinny i think I'd be low on energy and muscle haha

So the day of the fight its possible to recover to my 155 size?that would be good news im still pretty sizeable at where im at now.and i feel at bantam thats too skinny i think I'd be low on energy and muscle haha
Yeah, you'd get back to 155ish the next day; And really, thats how you really do it. If you actually did diet down to 145, you'd be at a disadvantage. You'd be weaker, and you'd be going up against someone who's around 163-165lbs the next day (fight day). 145lbs at 6' is pretty skinny.

You should maintain your weight and muscle mass, and then the cut is purely water manipulation. I compete at 155, so far its been Muay Thai, but any weight class sport I'd do the same. My best so far has been 15lbs. It felt tough, but not hospital level tough. I'm on the fence for 16-17lbs, I'll aim for that next fight.

This is the one I used when I first started out, I use a slightly different method these days
http://fourhourworkweek.com/2013/05/06/how-to-cut-weight-ufc/

Anyways, once you start competing you can look into that more, for now just find a gym, and start training.

Yeah, you'd get back to 155ish the next day; And really, thats how you really do it. If you actually did diet down to 145, you'd be at a disadvantage. You'd be weaker, and you'd be going up against someone who's around 163-165lbs the next day (fight day). 145lbs at 6' is pretty skinny.

You should maintain your weight and muscle mass, and then the cut is purely water manipulation. I compete at 155, so far its been Muay Thai, but any weight class sport I'd do the same. My best so far has been 15lbs. It felt tough, but not hospital level tough. I'm on the fence for 16-17lbs, I'll aim for that next fight.

This is the one I used when I first started out, I use a slightly different method these days
http://fourhourworkweek.com/2013/05/06/how-to-cut-weight-ufc/

Anyways, once you start competing you can look into that more, for now just find a gym, and start training.
Thanks for taking the time to give me that advice I really appreciate it.If I can some how follow up on this post after i start my training and actually spar i will

Another super tough street fighter walks into an MMA gym looking for a fight.

jeepers creepers, did he rape their moms before he came in there? Seems kind of silly to prove the point by right leg cemetery.

jeepers creepers, did he rape their moms before he came in there? Seems kind of silly to prove the point by right leg cemetery.

Lol, I admit it is overkill and terribly unprofessional, but I'm smugly satisfied.

Back