Wanderlei Snorkel Training

B

bSquared949

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/i1iVKIwo8Qc&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/i1iVKIwo8Qc&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Good idea, thinking about giving it a try, but it looks like it is unsafe if not done under proper supervision.
thoughts?

If you have the equipment and facilities to try it go ahead. It does seem rather advanced so I hope for your sake your cardio is very very good.

Is there any science behind oxygen deprivation increasing cardio? I'd like to read an article or something, because that just seems like it would be a whole lot of suffering for very little return.

Is there any science behind oxygen deprivation increasing cardio? I'd like to read an article or something, because that just seems like it would be a whole lot of suffering for very little return.

I got a book called "Fit To Fight" that explains that to not gas in a fight you don't need to train your aerobic system (or cardio, like a marathon runner would do) but your anaerobic one. I'm sure you'll get it better if you read the book but basically the author says that "anaerobic" means muscles have to work without a lof of oxygen coming in...
This guy, Jason Ferruggia, suggests that we should train with the mouth piece on at all times because it's harder to breathe and less oxygen comes in our bodies. I guess Wandy took it a step further and used the snorkel but I'm pretty sure it's based on the same principle.

Not sure if I explained it clearly but it's very well laid out on that book. It's got lots of great info on diet and all aspects of conditioning as well...

I agree with training with your mouthpiece in: train like you fight. I wouldn't touch the snorkel though unless you're really advanced. Like you can handle all of Ross' conditioning challenges and laugh kind of advanced. Otherwise you're better off working on the basics before strapping on the snorkel.

I agree with training with your mouthpiece in: train like you fight. I wouldn't touch the snorkel though unless you're really advanced. Like you can handle all of Ross' conditioning challenges and laugh kind of advanced. Otherwise you're better off working on the basics before strapping on the snorkel.

Yeah, too many people focus on cool looking things they saw somewhere rather than basics, basics, basics.

Although I also agree with training with the mouthpiece in. It also forces you to keep your teeth clenched rather than doing that slack-jawed panting-dog thing when you're knackered. Plus when you're in the ring, the andrenaline is draining enough without the added problem of "oh god, I can't breathe with this thing in!"

Mouthguard doesnt bother me either in fight or sparring, dunno why people make out like the mouthguard is such a hindrance.

No difference between that and what kyokoshin fighters used to do (or they might still), with running with a length of hose pipe in their mouths and a nose plug on.

I must say though, he boxing and especially head movement is very good isn't it

Mouthguard doesnt bother me either in fight or sparring, dunno why people make out like the mouthguard is such a hindrance.

Its only such a hinderance if you're not used to it. Plus a lot of people (like myself) use cheap little boil and bite gumshields that aren't always moulded tight enough.

I remember being absolutely bolloxed during one session while doing conditioning, and I somehow blew my gumshield across the room - kinda embarrasing...

Very intense!

I have previously looked into hypoxic training and simulated altitude sleeping with the view to increasing red blood cell production. The only problem with that is the logistics of training at sea level and sleeping at altitude or paying the $$$$$ for a hypoxic tent and breathing mask.

On a related topic, I was recently told about this product Health MG

"POWERbreathe is an Inspiratory muscle trainer that strengthens the breathing muscles to overcome breathlessness. This can benefit all types of users from the Elite Olympic Athletes to Chronic Asthma sufferers."

The company is sending me one to trial and have asked me to give them feedback on my training response. I should have it later this week.

Here is an extract from a study published in the International Journal of Sports Medicene on Insiratory Muscle Training "In Conclusion, we have assessed the reproducibility and sensitivity of a new repetitive sprint test and found it to have the utility for repetitive sprint athletes. Our data support existing evidence that specific IMT (Inspiratory muscle training) attenuates the blood lactate and perceptual responses to submaximal endurance exercise. Furthermore, the data provide new evidence that IMT improves recovery time during high intencity, intermittent exercise in repetitive sprint athletes."

I will test this out and let you guys know what I think, I must admit I had not thought about training the inspiratory muscles, and I know from experience that one of the post training effects of tabata intervals is that burning feeling in the lungs from gasping for breath whilst training at high intencity, the thought of training those inspiratory muscles had never occured to me until now.

I've read contradicting information stating that inspiration/ventilation is rarely the limiting factor in athletic performance. It's usually down to utilisation of oxygen at a cellular level.

Will see if i can find any info.

Very intense!

I have previously looked into hypoxic training and simulated altitude sleeping with the view to increasing red blood cell production. The only problem with that is the logistics of training at sea level and sleeping at altitude or paying the $$$$$ for a hypoxic tent and breathing mask.

On a related topic, I was recently told about this product Health MG

"POWERbreathe is an Inspiratory muscle trainer that strengthens the breathing muscles to overcome breathlessness. This can benefit all types of users from the Elite Olympic Athletes to Chronic Asthma sufferers."

The company is sending me one to trial and have asked me to give them feedback on my training response. I should have it later this week.

Here is an extract from a study published in the International Journal of Sports Medicene on Insiratory Muscle Training "In Conclusion, we have assessed the reproducibility and sensitivity of a new repetitive sprint test and found it to have the utility for repetitive sprint athletes. Our data support existing evidence that specific IMT (Inspiratory muscle training) attenuates the blood lactate and perceptual responses to submaximal endurance exercise. Furthermore, the data provide new evidence that IMT improves recovery time during high intencity, intermittent exercise in repetitive sprint athletes."

I will test this out and let you guys know what I think, I must admit I had not thought about training the inspiratory muscles, and I know from experience that one of the post training effects of tabata intervals is that burning feeling in the lungs from gasping for breath whilst training at high intencity, the thought of training those inspiratory muscles had never occured to me until now.

I saw a video on youtube of someone doing Tabata burpee pullups with one of those. It looked miserable.

Basically just gets you used to being uncomfortable

The scuba gear will get you to the breaking point quicker where you are out of breath, and than you can begin to train yourself to push yourself past that point...

Of course you need to know your limits, and this should be done under supervision,
because if you push yourself too hard, you will pass out, and you do not want to be alone when that happens

Back