Wanderlei César da Silva was never that good or my friend

Nothing to see here. Just a noob who youtubed and googled "Who is Wanderlei Silva".
Gotta be. Some of Wands wins don’t look as good as they actually are just glancing at them. You either had to be a fan at the time or you have to dig deeper to see the value in some of his fights. His wins over Yoshida, Fujita, Hendo and Saku get undervalued for various reasons these days.

He was a fraud, could fight on Tren and Meth in Pride but useless in the UFC
Sometimes I wonder if Pride fighters did stimulant drugs like speed before fights. Shit was not normal often compared to UFC fights. 10 minute rounds of pure carnage without slowing down.

what a shit bag thread... next he's gonna say Sakuraba sucked too...ban this mofo and be done with it.....

I don't think Wand ever had a granite chin. Great one for sure, but I think it was more that he had possibly the fastest recovery the sport has ever seen. Giant shots would wobble him and he'd immediately get back on the dot, until Mirko and Dan stopped him dead, but those two strikes specifically would have put literally any human being on the planet to sleep. Mirko landed IMO his second most flush headkick with basically his entire ankle clubbing Wand and that prime Hendo check hook was almost as strong as a primed H Bomb.
tumblr_mz0fjgWuk41ry1rm7o1_400.gifv

tumblr_mdhw6931Gi1ry1rm7o1_250.gifv

Wanderlei is the original, true Just Bleed Disciple (not counting Gerard Gordeau) with good reason, as just like Fedor he truly deserved his nickname.
tumblr_mj4egvVay41ry1rm7o1_250.gif
wanderlei_kos_rampage.gif

Wandy bless, saw him in Vegas once, talked to him for a minute, super nice guy.

WAR AXE MURDERER
oqdQhaT.gif

I still wish we got the Wanderlei vs Shogun final in the MW GP but it wasn't meant to be

Last edited:
One of the most blood lusting JBG pleasing homicidally aggressive tazmanian devil slaughter lords of all time and you are a fucking BITCH if you think otherwise

'Slaughter Lord' - love it lol

Society has become accustomed to the violence of MMA, but even today, seeing his violence would shock many.

In his bloody prime, it was more than shocking to most.

<RomeroSalute>

And yes, def agree with those last nine words.

I couldn’t have said it better myself. So many nerds of today in love with “technique” and dudes who fight once a year to “properly prepare” that can’t recognize a true warrior when they see one.
Sometimes I get the urge to IP track people and burn their homes Jay & Silent Bob style.
Warrior post lmao

"He holds the record for the most wins, knockouts, title defenses and longest winning streak in PRIDE history. He is the former PRIDE Middleweight Champion and the 2003 PRIDE Middleweight Grand Prix Tournament Champion."
Pride Fighting Championships

what a fookin bum he is

oh nooooo some random on Sherdog doesnt like Wanderlei's career
whatever will he do

damn this is a stupid thread

For his time he was good. Of course he would suck in the modern era, most fighters of that era would. He is very undersized for current 205ers. The sport has evolved and a lot of the greats are very mediocre compared to present day fighters. Matt Hughes is a great but no one talks about him because he is mediocre compared to the fighters we have now.
I always see that " good for their time/era, but now they'd suck" as if they would just transplant from 2002 to 2024 with the skills they had then.

Basis logic suggests if they had the tools to be good back then they'd have similar success in this 'evolved' version of the sport since if they were in this era they'd have the exact same access to training methods, coaches, teams, as the fighters of today.

I agree OP he wasn't that good.

By this theory it means all the fighters he beat were even worst.

Well just keep it simple and say the whole Era wasn't that good. Sounds logical right?

Was he an elite fighter?

Nope
I mean say whatever you want about it but this is a flat out stupid thing to say. Of course he was an elite fighter in his day. His record is all you need for proof of that

Prove me wrong

He banged and wanged with crazy hooks and had a good chin and I don’t care what he did to Rampage
He just wasn’t that good
Was he a savage? Yeah
Was he an elite fighter?

Nope
Honest i think this is a view which depends more on hype and image sold than it does his actual fights during his prime.

The idea that he just bumrushed everyone with wild left/rights really is not very similar to his peak years, a lot of which he actually fought in quite a measured fashion. He went into ultra aggressive kill crazy mode to finish opponents off but most of the time what actually hurt them in the first place was pretty accurate and measured MMA boxing.

I think someone like Jiri today is more someone who is ultra aggressive(also clearly has skill of course) and depends on his chin than Wand was/did in the early/mid 00's.

Last edited:
Prove me wrong

He banged and wanged with crazy hooks and had a good chin and I don’t care what he did to Rampage
He just wasn’t that good
Was he a savage? Yeah
Was he an elite fighter?

Nope
You don't care about the times he proved his skills by destroying a powerful wrestler with power in his hands? Why might that be? Because it destroys your entire narrative?

Yeah. We know.

Why do people come on here just to shout from the rooftops "hey everyone look at me, I'm dumb as fuck!"? Doesn't really make a lot of sense to me but you do you, I guess

Not a big fan of him but you are crazy.

His style did not aged well since it was based in durability/chin, reflexes and copious amount of vitamins.

But he was as good as they come for his era.

I think someone like Jiri today is more someone who is ultra aggressive(also clearly has skill of course) and depends on his chin than Wand was/did in the early/mid 00's.
Jiri is basically this era Wandy.
Everyone who followed his Rizin career made that comparison. It's a shame that the fight with TRT Crocop did not materialize.

I've always thought he was overrated, but by mainly PrideFC fan boys who believed that UFC Fighters couldn't be competitive. Was he elite, I don't know, his striking hands wise consists of overhands, wild looping hooks, he was a
Maurader and his who benefited using the ring where his opponents couldn't circle out from
The pressue he brought. He's exciting and fun to watch but exciting doesn't always the most skilled.

Back