Wal-Mart to stop selling AR-15's and all semi-autos

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by Farmer Br0wn, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Farmer Br0wn

Farmer Br0wn Farmer Br0wn belt

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...ndons-ar-15-shooters-good/#comment-2219766845

An interesting move on the part of the countries largest retailer.

A representative of Wal-Mart said that this move is based on market demand and customer requests for more traditional hunting weapons, and not a reply to the political climate of the day; however, the same representative also said that this move will be permanent. It makes one wonder how this could be a reply to market forces but also "permanent".

What also shows that this move is more likely a political reaction is the removal of all shotguns with 18 1/2 inch barrels, any .22 caliber rifle that even LOOKS like a modern sporting rifle or is semi-automatic, and any accessories associated with any " tactical" firearm.

How dose it smell to you Sherdoggers? Is this a politically motivated move on the part of Wal-Mart? Or do you believe the Wal-Mart rep in the article?

2. Malthian

Malthian Purple Belt

Permanent implies that they won't be maintaining warehousing or supply chains for the product. This would be different than temporary, which would be simply pulling the product from the shelves and maintaining agreements with suppliers and warehouse space.

As for the product itself, if they have a better use for the shelf space, then that's their right as a business.

The "tactical" part may be a conscious image choice. Walmart has pulled other products for far less obvious reasons.

3. spamking

spamking Click, click, boom!

Wal-Mart stores in OKC have a mixed bag of guns available as it is, and some don't bother selling them at all. While in other parts of Oklahoma they are the only game in town and sell all sorts of guns.

Their hunting sections have been going downhill for a while anyway. It's nice to be in there and be able to grab some ammo or corn for feeders, but I don't think this decision will truly impact anything.

Heck, I'm perfectly fine with it. Just means folks can buy online from me now. :)

4. FloridaCracker

FloridaCracker Dirty, Stinky, Greasy

Who actually buys guns at Walmart anyhow? They occasionally have decent deals on (cheap) ammo but the ones around me only carry garbage ARs made by Bushmaster and Windham Weaponry.

5. Gregolian

Gregolian .45 ACP Platinum Member

I only get plinking ammo from Walmart so this is my opinion as well.

They have OK optics as well but I'd rather get Vortex or Leo optics.

6. 2DUM2TAP

2DUM2TAP Silver Belt

On top of a Mountain punch dancing my rage away
    You really don't need great ammo or sights to take out zombies. A 10/22 .22LR is more then sufficient.

7. Barge

Barge Brown Belt

I can't believe you guys can buy guns at a supermarket

8. Protectandserve

Protectandserve Red Belt

Be interesting to see how it affects them. Walmart is a huge chunk of the firearms market.

9. Dolomite

Dolomite Red Belt

pffft... They'll be back on their shelves next year.

10. thewhole9yards

thewhole9yards Purple Belt

Mine had 6920's at one point.

11. RerouteToRemain

RerouteToRemain Silver Belt

Why? If the place has a FFL what does it matter. Places like Sears and JCPenney used to sell guns as well.

[​IMG]

12. Scrody

Scrody Gold Belt Platinum Member

One stop shopping ftw

13. RerouteToRemain

To my knowlegde they only sell shotguns and hunting rifles, they do not sell pistols. The AR platform is used for hunting as well. AR's are very rarely used in crime as well.

14. Dolomite

Dolomite Red Belt

The best part is when all the stuff is going down the belt towards the cashier;

The roll of duct tape... pump bottle of self-warming KY personal lubricant (size: large)... assorted Halloween masks... and then - KLANG!!! - ya throw a big old Bushmaster AR-15 on there too!

It's freakin' awesome, man.

15. Cubo de Sangre

Cubo de Sangre Titanium Belt

Didn't Wal-Mart just win a court case where some investors tried to get a the stores to discontinue firearms and management refused to hear it (or something like that)?

16. theocean

theocean Silver Belt

Probably people who shouldnt be buying any type of gun. If you go to Walmart for your high end rifle needs, i assume you shouldnt be using said rifle cause your probably a damn idiot.

17. klnOmega

klnOmega Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

This has been planned for a while. It literally isn't political in this case.

Shelf space is very valuable at Wal-Mart. While AR's sell, they don't sell as well as other sporting goods that they can put in the same spot. Also, people don't typically purchase firearms at Wal-Mart.

Gun sales are actually up and continuing to rise in America. People just tend to buy online and do transfers through gun stores.

18. Juventud

Juventud Black Belt

Great move. Now stop selling all guns.

I stood there in disbelief at Walmart on my 1st trip to the U.S.
    I could see the kids section from where i was staring at rifles & crossbows.
    Pure insanity.

19. RerouteToRemain

High end things aren't sold at walmart. However you can get a Remington R700 with a $3-500 Nikon or leupy scope. Plenty good enough to do any hunting. So if someone is in the market for said rifle and it is a good price I don't see the problem.

20. Cubo de Sangre

Cubo de Sangre Titanium Belt

It's set up that way so you can use them to get a feel for the sights of whatever weapon you're considering.