Wal-Mart to stop selling AR-15's and all semi-autos

Farmer Br0wn

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...ndons-ar-15-shooters-good/#comment-2219766845

An interesting move on the part of the countries largest retailer.

A representative of Wal-Mart said that this move is based on market demand and customer requests for more traditional hunting weapons, and not a reply to the political climate of the day; however, the same representative also said that this move will be permanent. It makes one wonder how this could be a reply to market forces but also "permanent".

What also shows that this move is more likely a political reaction is the removal of all shotguns with 18 1/2 inch barrels, any .22 caliber rifle that even LOOKS like a modern sporting rifle or is semi-automatic, and any accessories associated with any " tactical" firearm.

How dose it smell to you Sherdoggers? Is this a politically motivated move on the part of Wal-Mart? Or do you believe the Wal-Mart rep in the article?

Permanent implies that they won't be maintaining warehousing or supply chains for the product. This would be different than temporary, which would be simply pulling the product from the shelves and maintaining agreements with suppliers and warehouse space.

As for the product itself, if they have a better use for the shelf space, then that's their right as a business.

The "tactical" part may be a conscious image choice. Walmart has pulled other products for far less obvious reasons.

Wal-Mart stores in OKC have a mixed bag of guns available as it is, and some don't bother selling them at all. While in other parts of Oklahoma they are the only game in town and sell all sorts of guns.

Their hunting sections have been going downhill for a while anyway. It's nice to be in there and be able to grab some ammo or corn for feeders, but I don't think this decision will truly impact anything.

Heck, I'm perfectly fine with it. Just means folks can buy online from me now. :)

Who actually buys guns at Walmart anyhow? They occasionally have decent deals on (cheap) ammo but the ones around me only carry garbage ARs made by Bushmaster and Windham Weaponry.

Who actually buys guns at Walmart anyhow? They occasionally have decent deals on (cheap) ammo but the ones around me only carry garbage ARs made by Bushmaster and Windham Weaponry.

I only get plinking ammo from Walmart so this is my opinion as well.

They have OK optics as well but I'd rather get Vortex or Leo optics.

I only get plinking ammo from Walmart so this is my opinion as well.

They have OK optics as well but I'd rather get Vortex or Leo optics.

You really don't need great ammo or sights to take out zombies. A 10/22 .22LR is more then sufficient.

I can't believe you guys can buy guns at a supermarket

Be interesting to see how it affects them. Walmart is a huge chunk of the firearms market.

pffft... They'll be back on their shelves next year.

Why? If the place has a FFL what does it matter. Places like Sears and JCPenney used to sell guns as well.

jcpenney14.jpg

This. Nobody needs that kind of weaponry thats why there are so many shootings. Here if you want a gun its either a shotgun or hunting rifle but its no easy process..

To my knowlegde they only sell shotguns and hunting rifles, they do not sell pistols. The AR platform is used for hunting as well. AR's are very rarely used in crime as well.

The best part is when all the stuff is going down the belt towards the cashier;

The roll of duct tape... pump bottle of self-warming KY personal lubricant (size: large)... assorted Halloween masks... and then - KLANG!!! - ya throw a big old Bushmaster AR-15 on there too!

It's freakin' awesome, man.

Didn't Wal-Mart just win a court case where some investors tried to get a the stores to discontinue firearms and management refused to hear it (or something like that)?

Probably people who shouldnt be buying any type of gun. If you go to Walmart for your high end rifle needs, i assume you shouldnt be using said rifle cause your probably a damn idiot.

This has been planned for a while. It literally isn't political in this case.

Shelf space is very valuable at Wal-Mart. While AR's sell, they don't sell as well as other sporting goods that they can put in the same spot. Also, people don't typically purchase firearms at Wal-Mart.

Gun sales are actually up and continuing to rise in America. People just tend to buy online and do transfers through gun stores.

"That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind."

Great move. Now stop selling all guns.

I stood there in disbelief at Walmart on my 1st trip to the U.S.
I could see the kids section from where i was staring at rifles & crossbows.
Pure insanity.

Probably people who shouldnt be buying any type of gun. If you go to Walmart for your high end rifle needs, i assume you shouldnt be using said rifle cause your probably a damn idiot.

High end things aren't sold at walmart. However you can get a Remington R700 with a $3-500 Nikon or leupy scope. Plenty good enough to do any hunting. So if someone is in the market for said rifle and it is a good price I don't see the problem.

I stood there in disbelief at Walmart on my 1st trip to the U.S.
I could see the kids section from where i was staring at rifles & crossbows.

It's set up that way so you can use them to get a feel for the sights of whatever weapon you're considering.

Back