Violence/Genocide: Do not condone violence or genocide on a person or group of people. You are free to attack a person or groups ideas but you are crossing the line when calling for violence. This will be heavily enforced in threads with breaking news involving victims.

Voting Reform and voting in other countries

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by haysus31, Nov 5, 2020.

1. haysus31 Yellow Belt

20 years ago I remember the mess in Florida and the daily back and forth. I remember my family from Latin America was surprised at what a mess of rules we have here in the States. One of the big things was their shock that we voted with out identification cards. Further that we don't have a national ID card.
    Now that this one is over can we discuss why we can't have a standard to prevent another of these.
    In many countries you show ID and give a thumb print to prove who you are. An absentee ballot consists of you going to the Embassy of the country you are in and voting or going to locations set up by the embassy to cast a vote. Sherdog friends who are around the world can you let us know what is the standard in your country. I want to see the contrast in differences.

Oktagon Kontro1 likes this.
  2. haysus31 Yellow Belt

First up is Ghana
    I spoke with my friend and he stated that in Ghana you get an ID card from their election commission. When you go to vote you present the ID and submit a thumb print. They have observers from the political parties who observe this part then you cast a vote.

Oktagon Kontro1 likes this.
  3. WaylonMercy5150 Silver Belt

If Trump is winning the state you chat "Stop the Count!". If he is losing you chat "Count the Votes!".

4. Badger67 Taxidea taxus

In canada we have to how ID.
    They have these booths you walk to and you fill in the circle next to the candidate of your area, which counts as a vote for the prime minister candidates.

I hate this, because at times municipalities/provinces can be run better by someone opposite than the party you want federally.

This isnt even counting the bullshit of Seat ridings.

5. asdffdsa Brown Belt

Seems easy enough to make voting electronic and verifiable.

I also wouldn't mind ranked voting to make people more likely to vote 3rd party.

6. Sano Silver Belt

Here every citizen automatically gets their ballot in the mail ever year, from the age of 18. No issues whatsoever.

SL1200 likes this.
  7. haysus31 Yellow Belt

Sano how do they know someone isn't voting for you? Do you mean every citizen gets their ballot in the mail. Then goes in person to vote or do they mail it in?.

8. haysus31 Yellow Belt

Can anyone else let us know from other EU countries and the UK.

9. Sano Silver Belt

Not sure what you mean exactly about knowing.

But they can be mailed in early too yes.

10. haysus31 Yellow Belt

Meaning your government knows its you voting. Do you show ID in person when you cast your vote or is it only mail in.

11. djacobox372 Gold Belt

How in the hell would ID cards have prevented the issues 20 years ago? That was all about votes being thrown out due to "hanging chads" and crap like that, nothing about ID.

12. SL1200 Oranje boven!

You get an invitation in the mail with your name on it. You bring that and your ID to the voting location. If your name on the invitation and your ID are the same you can go vote.

That's it in a nutshell.

13. Headkicktoleg Yellow Card Yellow Card

Democrats think black people are too dumb and poor to get a free ID so they fight tooth and nail against it.

14. Goonerview Gold Belt

I disagree.

If Trump loses legitimately, people would accept it. But there needs to be transparency here.

These mail-in ballot dumps need to be audited and investigated.

15. WaylonMercy5150 Silver Belt

Would you be demanding this if trump were winning?

16. Goonerview Gold Belt

If Trump was winning and the democrats wanted a recount and full transparency, I would be happy with that.

17. JadeOwl Brown Belt

I think one of the biggest problems with the system you have over there is the ridiculous fact that your presidential election is on a Tuesday. That is so unbelievably fucking inconvenient that it boggles the mind. If you fixed that problem, there wouldn't be so much need for people voting by mail or stuff like that. It would be as easy as moving it to a Sunday. No need to create a paid holiday or anything.

Now, more to the point of the thread, here in Peru the way we handle it, is that everyone has a mandatory National Identity Document, or DNI. We use it to identify ourselves when voting, but also for absolutely everything: signing a contract, mayor purchases, government paperwork, paying with a credit card over a certain amount, basically everything. Showing ID to vote is a non-issue here because everyone is supposed to have ID anyway. Everyone is registered with the National Registry of Identification and Civil Status, and the voter rolls are issued from there.

We also have a national institution whose sole job is to run elections, make sure there are uniform standards, and that no political party unlawfully influences the election. They also implement the voting tables. There are no more than 150 people per table and they are distributed in such a way that they are within walking distance of where you live, to minimize traffic around voting locations on voting day, which is always Sunday.

The voting tables are the closest thing Peruvians have to the jury duty you guys have in the US. A few weeks before the election, people are selected at random to be "members of the table": A president, a secretary and a third member, plus three understudies. If you don't show up to do your duty as a member of the table, you get a fine. And until you pay the fine, your DNI is invalid, meaning that you can't sign a contract, get a over the table job, make a large purchase, etc.

Another advantage is that because there are only 150 votes to count per table tops, you can get it done relatively quickly.

18. dildos Steel Belt

In Australia you just have to turn up to your designated local voting area and say ‘hi my name is...’ and they look it up in the directory listing they have and cross your name off. No ID card needed.

then you can draw dicks on your voting ballot paper and submit that.

19. WaylonMercy5150 Silver Belt

That's not what I asked.

20. Goonerview Gold Belt

Of course I wouldn’t because I support Trump.

The same way Man Utd don’t actively campaign for their opponents to have extra goals counted for them. It’s like, why would you?

But, if the roles were reversed and the democrats wanted transparency and recount, id be happy with that.