Voodooloco's Return to Athletics

Voodooloco

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Old thread: http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/athleticism-is-key.1433563/

I am returning to log my workouts on here as I am attempting to dedicate myself to athletics, once again. Some updates since the last post was 6 years ago. I am now married and have a soon to be two year old son. I took a long break is schooling and am now majoring in dietitics.

My athletics include me coaching my church's men's softball team. I played flag football this past spring and would like to play again this fall assuming I can change my work schedule. The flag football is full contact on the line. I've also been trying to track down information on a church basketball league.

My current stats are 6', 212 lbs, 21-23% bodyfat, and 25 years old. I'm going to try to run WS4SB3 and gain 20 pounds as I spent most of last year not lifting as I tried to get acclimated to school, work and parent life.

*I am currently doing Max OT until my ankle heals

Thursday, June 2, 2016
Softball

Game 1
Loss 2-12
Batted 2-2

We left around 10 runners on base, including bases loaded... twice.

Game 2
Cancel due to rain
Batted 1-2

It started down pour in the second inning. The game was called off when the bat slipped out of a batters hand and flew to the fence.

Friday, June 3, 2016
Max OT

Shoulders
Arnold’s
20 x 10
35 x 8
55 x 6
55 x 6
55 x 6

Dumbbell side laterals:
30 x 6
30 x 6

Bent-Over low-pulley side lateral:
10 x 10
15 x 6

Barbell shrugs
295 x 8
315 x 6

Low pulley row to neck
40 x 10 never done before testing the waters
55 x 10
85 x 10
120 x 6

Saturday, June 4, 2016
Squat form work
Focusing on keep elbows down, keeping lats engaged, external rotation, and activating glutes
45 x 10
95 x 8
135 x 8
135 x 8
135 x 8

Another thought I don't have the best flexibility in my shoulders anymore I probably need to warm them up prior to squats.

If anyone has a squat form video that they like feel free to share. I need the help.

https://www.defrancostraining.com/westside-for-skinny-bastards-part3/

SUNDAYRepetition Upper Body
  1. Repetition Exercise – choose one of the following exercises and perform 3 sets of max reps OR 4 sets of 12-15 reps:
    • Flat DB bench press (palms in or out)
    • Incline DB bench press (palms in or out)
    • DB bench press on Swiss ball (palms in or out)
    • DB floor press (palms in)
    • Push-up variations
    • Chin-up variations
    • Barbell bench press (55-60% of 1RM)
  2. Vertical pulling / Rear delt superset – Superset one exercise from “Group 1” with one exercise from “Group 2.” Perform 3-4 supersets of 8-12 reps of each exercise.
    • Group 1
      • Lat pulldowns (various bars)
      • Chin-ups (don’t perform these if you chose to do chin-ups for your first exercise)
      • Straight arm pulldowns
    • Group 2
      • Rear delt flyes
      • Scarecrows
      • Face pulls
      • Seated DB “power cleans”
      • Band pull-aparts
  3. Medial delts – choose one of the following exercises and perform 4 sets of 8-12 reps:
    • DB lateral raises
    • L-lateral raises
    • Cable lateral raises
    • DB military press
    • DB side press
  4. Traps / Arms superset – Superset one exercise from “Group 1” with one exercise from “Group 2.” Perform 3 supersets.
    • Group 1 (Perform 8-10 reps)
      • DB shrugs
      • Barbell shrugs
      • Safety squat bar shrugs
      • Behind the back barbell shrugs
    • Group 2
      • Barbell curls (8-10 reps each set)
      • DB curls (8-10 reps each set)
      • Seated Incline DB curls (8-10 reps each set)
      • Hammer curls (8-10 reps each set)
      • Zottmann curls (8-10 reps each set)
      • Iso-hold DB curls (8-10 reps each set)
      • DB triceps extensions (10-15 reps each set)
      • Triceps pushdowns (15-25 reps each set)
  5. Grip / Forearms – choose one of the following exercises:
    • Wrist roller (2-3 sets of 2-3 reps)
    • Thick bar or heavy DB holds (2-3 sets of max time)
    • Plate pinch gripping (2-3 sets of 2-3 reps)
    • Captains of Crush gripper (3 sets of max reps each hand)
    • Rice digs (3 timed sets)
*DON’T train your grip/forearms if you’re planning on deadlifting the next day.

MONDAYMax-Effort Lower Body

1. MAX-EFFORT LIFT work up to a max set of 3-5 reps in one of the following exercises:
    • Box squats (regular bar, safety squat bar, cambered bar, buffalo bar)
    • Free squats (regular bar, safety squat bar, cambered bar, buffalo bar)
    • Straight bar deadlifts (traditional style, sumo style)
    • Trap Bar deadlifts
    • Rack pulls (partial deadlifts)
    • Tire flip – (remember, your max-effort lifts don’t necessarily have to be limited to just barbell exercises!)
*Bands and/or chains can be incorporated into all of the above exercises for the not-so-skinny bastards reading this article.

1. UNILATERAL MOVEMENTchoose one of the following exercises and perform 3 sets of 6-12 reps:
    • Bulgarian split squat variation (holding DB’s or with a barbell)
    • Reverse lunge variation
    • Step-up variation
    • Walking lunges
    • Backward sled drags (3 sets of 30 yards)
    • Forward sled drags, 45-degree angle (3 sets of 30 yards)
  2. HAMSTRING / POSTERIOR CHAIN MOVEMENTchoose one of the following exercises and perform 3 sets of 8-12 reps:
    • 45-degree hyperextensions
    • Reverse hyperextensions
    • Pull-throughs
    • Swiss ball back bridge + leg curl
    • Glute-ham raises
    • Romanian deadlifts
    • Forward sled dragging (upright posture)
  3. Ground-based, high-rep abdominal circuit – Example: sprinter sit-ups, V-ups, toe touches, hip thrusts. Perform 10-20 reps of each exercise and go through the circuit 2-3 times. Rest 1-2 minutes between circuits.
  4. Conditioning “finisher” – choose one of the following exercises…

TUESDAYOff

WEDNESDAYMax-Effort Upper Body

1. Max-Effort Exercise – work up to a max set of 3-5 reps in one of the following exercises:
    • Thick bar or regular barbell bench press
    • Barbell floor press
    • Rack lockouts / Suspended chain lockouts
    • Incline barbell bench press (regular grip or close grip)
    • Close-grip bench press (index finger on smooth part of bar)
    • Weighted chin-ups
    • Board presses or foam presses
    • Chain bench press (*recommended for not-so-skinny bastards)
    • Band bench press (*recommended for not-so-skinny bastards)
    • Reverse band bench press (*recommended for not-so-skinny bastards)
  2. Supplemental Exercise – perform 2 sets of max reps in one of the following exercises. (Choose a weight you can perform for 15-20 reps on the 1st set. Use the same weight for both sets and rest 3-4 minutes between sets).
    • Flat DB bench press (palms in or out)
    • Incline DB bench press (palms in or out)
    • DB floor press (palms in)
    • Barbell push-ups (wearing weighted vest)
    • Blast strap push-ups (wearing weighted vest)
    • “Criss-cross” chain push-ups
    • “Triceps death”
    • Chin-ups (don’t perform these if you chose to do weighted chin-ups for your first exercise)
  3. Horizontal pulling / Rear delt superset – Superset one exercise from “Group 1” with one exercise from “Group 2.” Perform 3-4 supersets of 8-12 reps of each exercise.
    • Group 1
      • DB rows
      • Barbell rows
      • Seated cable rows (various bars)
      • T-bar rows
      • Chest supported rows
    • Group 2
      • Rear delt flyes
      • Scarecrows
      • Face pulls
      • Seated DB “power cleans”
      • Band pull-aparts
  4. Traps – Perform 3 – 4 sets of 8-15 reps of one of the following exercises:
    • DB shrugs
    • Barbell shrugs
    • Safety squat bar shrugs
    • Behind the back barbell shrugs
  5. Elbow flexor exercise – Perform 3-4 sets of 8-15 reps of one of the following exercises:
    • Barbell curls (regular or thick bar)
    • DB curls (standing)
    • Seated Incline DB curls
    • Hammer curls
    • Zottmann curls
    • Iso-hold DB curls
THURSDAYOff

FRIDAYDynamic-Effort Lower Body

1. Jump training – choose one of the following exercises and perform 5-8 sets of 1-3 jumps:
  2. Unilateral exercise (w/ added ROM) – choose one of the following exercises and perform 2-3 sets of 8-10 reps:
    • Bulgarian split squats, front leg elevated (holding DB’s or with a barbell)
    • Barbell reverse lunge, front foot elevated
    • Barbell reverse lunge w/ knee lift (front foot elevated)
    • Step-ups (box height slightly above knee)
  3. Hip extension exercise – choose one of the following exercises and perform 3 sets of 8-12 reps:
    • 45-degree hyperextensions
    • Reverse hyperextensions
    • Pull-throughs
    • Swiss ball back bridge + leg curl
    • Glute-ham raises
    • Romanian deadlift
    • Forward sled dragging, upright posture (3 sets of 30 yards)
  4. Weighted Abdominals – choose one of the following exercises and perform 4 sets of 10-15 reps:
    • DB side bends
    • Offset barbell side bends
    • Barbell Russian twists
    • Low cable or band pull-ins
    • Hanging leg raises
    • Weighted Swiss ball crunches
    • Spread-eagle sit-ups (holding DB over chest)
    • Standing sit-ups (using a band or a high pulley)
SATURDAYSpeed Training

1. General Warm-up / Movement skills (5-15 minutes) – The goal of this portion of the workout is to increase your core temperature by performing basic movement skills and calisthenics. (Example: bodyweight squats, jumping jacks, skipping, back pedaling, etc…)
  2. Ground-based mobility (5-15 minutes) – Once you’ve broken a sweat and your muscles are warm, I suggest performing ground-based mobility drills for 5-15 minutes. (Sample mobility drills include: roll-overs into V-sits, fire hydrant circles, mountain climbers, groiners, etc…)
  3. Frequency drills (2-3 minutes) – I always like to conclude my warm-up with 1 or 2 drills that excite the central nervous system before beginning the speed training portion of the workout. These drills should only last 5-10 seconds, and I recommend 2-3 sets for each. (Example: low pogo jumps, wideouts, ankling, etc.)
  4. Speed training – We always separate “speed training” from conditioning. When I refer to speed training for non-track athletes, I’m talking about distances of 60 yards or less, with complete (or close to it) recovery between sprints. The goal of this workout is to actually get faster. That’s why it’s done early in the week when your legs are at their freshest. For example, if a football player wants to incorporate some Combine tests into his weekly template, today would be the ideal day to do so. A sample workout would look like this:
  1. 10-yard starts – 8 sprints with 1 minute rest between sprints
  2. 20-yard shuttle – 5-6 reps with 1-2 minutes rest between sprints
  3. 3-Cone drill – 4 reps with 2-3 minutes rest between sprints
*A football player who isn’t concerned about incorporating Combine tests into his workout could do a sample linear speed workout as follows:

1. 10-yard sprints – 10 sprints with 1 minute rest
  2. 20-yard sprints – 6 sprints with 2 minutes rest
  3. 40-yard sprints – 4 sprints with 4 minutes rest
*I obviously can’t write a hundred different sample workouts for every sport and position. I’m hoping you’ll understand the goal of this Tuesday workout and can design, for yourself, a plan that best suits your needs. Simply put, this workout should consist of short, explosive sprints or agility drills with full recovery.

Monday, June 6, 2016
West Side for Skinny Bastards 3
Week 1 Day 1

Repetition upper

Db bench 4 x 12
30 x 12
40 x 12
65 x 12
65 x 12
65 x 11.5
65 x 8

Lat pull downs ss seated power clean
170 x 10 ss 15 x 10
170 x 10 ss 15 x 10
170 x 10 ss 15 x 10
170 x 8 ss 15 x 10

First time ever doing seated power cleans they're freaking awesome. Theyre probably my new favorite trap excercise.

Bb shrugs ss Db curls
295 x 8 ss 25 x 10
295 x 8 ss 25 x 10
295 x 8 ss 25 x 10

Db laterals
25 x 10
25 x 10
25 x 10

Missed doing repetition upper yesterday after taking a near 4 hour nap with my son. Made it up in my AM workout. Will be returning tonight for max effort lower body tonight.

Maximal effort lower
(~8 hours after previous workout)
Squats
45 x 8
135 x 8
225 x 5
245 x 3

Db walking lunges
30 x 20 yards ~10 each leg
30 x 20 yards
30 x 20 yards

45 degree hyper extentions
Bw + 45 x 10
Bw + 45 x 10
Bw + 45 x 10

Farmers carry
185 x 40 yards
185 x 20
135 x 40
135 x 20

Tuesday, June 7, 2016
Softball

Game 1
Loss 14-18
I batted 1-4

Game 2
Blow out loss
I batted 2-2

I didn't play well. I misread several balls, and I was very uncomfortable attempting to readjust to the ball with my ankle and DOMS. It was not a good night for myself or the team.

Wednesday, June 8, 2016
Max-Effort Upper Body

Max-Effort Exercise – work up to a max set of 3-5 reps:

Barbell bench
45 x 10
135 x 6
135 x 6
185 x 3
205 x 3

Supplemental Exercise – perform 2 sets of max reps in one of the following exercises. (Choose a weight you can perform for 15-20 reps on the 1st set. Use the same weight for both sets and rest 3-4 minutes between sets).

Incline DB bench
45 x 20 too easily
55 x 20
55 x 15

Horizontal pulling / Rear delt superset – Perform 3-4 supersets of 8-12 reps of each exercise.

DB rows ss rear delt flies
75 x 12 ss 20 x 10
75 x 10 ss 20 x 10
75 x 10 ss 20 x 10

Traps – Perform 3 – 4 sets of 8-15 reps:

BB Shrugs
295 x 8
295 x 8
225 x 15

Elbow flexor exercise – Perform 3-4 sets of 8-15 reps:

Barbell Curls
65 x 10
65 x 10
65 x 10

Tonight I found out that NSCA has a ton of free lectures on their website. Including this one on conjugate peroidization https://www.nsca.com/videos/conference_lectures/conjugate_periodization/

Time to binge watch all the free lectures.

Friday, June 10, 2016
Dynamic-Effort Lower Body

Jump training – choose one of the following exercises and perform 5-8 sets of 1-3 jumps:

Broad jump
3 jumps
3 jumps
3 jumps
3 jumps
3 jumps

Unilateral exercise (w/ added ROM) – choose one of the following exercises and perform 2-3 sets of 8-10 reps:

Bulgarian Split Squats, front leg elevated
Tried 15 pound dbs... nope
Bw x 8
Bw x 8

Hip extension exercise – choose one of the following exercises and perform 3 sets of 8-12 reps:

Reverse Hyperextensions
Bw x 12
Bw x 12
Bw x 12

Weighted Abdominals – choose one of the following exercises and perform 4 sets of 10-15 reps:

DB side bends
30 x 12
30 x 12
30 x 12
30 x 12

Intended to do box jumps however my gym does not have boxes apparently. Will have to figure something out for those because they're very useful. First time doing broad jumps in probably a decade. They felt good, definitely not getting much distance yet. We do have a westside reverse hyper machine that can be used for added resistance.

Nice work, I'm going to start WS4SB3 in a few weeks hopefully.

Nice work, I'm going to start WS4SB3 in a few weeks hopefully.

Thank you. I would definitely recommend it for people in a caloric surplus. I posted a lecture from NSCA discussing the conjugate periodization. I've enjoyed it with the volume and variety to keep me interested.

You'll have to let me know what your think of it.

Saturday, June 11, 2016
Speed training as outlined. I need to work on sprinting take off

Monday, June 13, 2016
Repetition Upper Body

Repetition Exercise – choose one of the following exercises and perform 3 sets of max reps OR 4 sets of 12-15 reps:
Flat DB bench press
30 x 12
40 x 12
65 x 15
65 x 11
65 x 12

Vertical pulling / Rear delt superset – Superset one exercise from “Group 1” with one exercise from “Group 2.” Perform 3-4 supersets of 8-12 reps of each exercise.
Group 1
Straight arm pulldowns
62.5 x 10
62.5 x 10
62.5 x 10

Group 2
Face pulls
62.5 x 12
62.5 x 12
62.5 x 12

Medial delts – choose one of the following exercises and perform 4 sets of 8-12 reps:
DB military press
45 x 10
45 x 9
40 x 10 I got a little light headed
40 x 10

I did not want to finish those reps

Traps / Arms superset – Superset one exercise from “Group 1” with one exercise from “Group 2.” Perform 3 supersets.
Group 1 (Perform 8-10 reps)
DB shrugs
90 x 10
90 x 10
90 x 10

Group 2
Hammer curls (8-10 reps each set)
35 x 10
35 x 10
35 x 6

The AC in the was broken and I nearly fainted a half dozen times while doing DB military presses. I chose to go to CMA Fest instead of the gym on Sunday. I was meant to go before we went to another event, but we ended up with free tickets and I started chugging beers. I intended to do ME Lower tonight, but my knee has been a bit twingey. I'll have to go before my softball games tomorrow and make it up.

Thank you. I would definitely recommend it for people in a caloric surplus. I posted a lecture from NSCA discussing the conjugate periodization. I've enjoyed it with the volume and variety to keep me interested.

You'll have to let me know what your think of it.

Will do! I'm looking forward to beginning it!

Tuesday, June 14, 2016
Max-Effort Lower Body

MAX-EFFORT LIFT – work up to a max set of 3-5 reps in one of the following exercises:
Straight bar deadlifts (traditional style, sumo style)
135 x 5
225 x 5
275 x 3
315 x 3

UNILATERAL MOVEMENT – choose one of the following exercises and perform 3 sets of 6-12 reps:
Db reverse lunge
20 x 6
35 x 6
35 x 6

HAMSTRING / POSTERIOR CHAIN MOVEMENT – choose one of the following exercises and perform 3 sets of 8-12 reps:
Pull-throughs
65 x 8 never done these before going to drop and work on form
50 x 10
50 x 10

Simple bin this morning makes my lower back sore. Poor deadlifts today. Dropped conditioning finisher due to softball games tonight. Will attempt to do core circuit tonight in AC. (Update) I didn't do core work.

Softball

Won 19-11
1-2, bases clearing triple
I was a designated hitter tonight then subbed myself for the second half of the game. I was very proud of my team tonight! Everyone came out to play and played with everything that we had. We play again on Thursday, possibly twice.

Wednesday, June 15, 2016
Max-Effort Upper Body

Max-Effort Exercise – work up to a max set of 3-5 reps in one of the following exercises:
Incline barbell bench press
45 x 10
95 x 8
135 x 5
185 x 4

Supplemental Exercise – perform 2 sets of max reps in one of the following exercises. (Choose a weight you can perform for 15-20 reps on the 1st set. Use the same weight for both sets and rest 3-4 minutes between sets).
DB floor press (palms in)
50 x 18
50 x 17

Horizontal pulling / Rear delt superset – Superset one exercise from “Group 1” with one exercise from “Group 2.” Perform 3-4 supersets of 8-12 reps of each exercise.
Group 1
Barbell rows
185 x 10
185 x 10
185 x 10

Group 2
Seated DB “power cleans”
17.5 x 10
17.5 x 10
17.5 x 10
Traps – Perform 3 – 4 sets of 8-15 reps of one of the following exercises:
Barbell shrugs
275 x 12
275 x 12
275 x 12
275 x 12
Elbow flexor exercise – Perform 3-4 sets of 8-15 reps of one of the following exercises:
Seated Incline DB curls
20 x 10
20 x 12
20 x 10
20 x 10

Thursday, June 16, 2016
Softball

Lost 2-12
Batted 1-2, single

Played RF didn't get a single ball. We couldn't do anything but fly out. We are hugely inconsistent, but I had the most fun of any season yet.

Friday, June 17, 2016
Dynamic-Effort Lower Body

Jump training – choose one of the following exercises and perform 5-8 sets of 1-3 jumps:
Weighted Reactive box jumps
10 lb x 3 holy shit balls dude I hurt my ankle exploding upwards
10 x 3
10 x 3
10 x 3
10 x 3

Definitely need to warm the ankle up before jumping.

Unilateral exercise (w/ added ROM) – choose one of the following exercises and perform 2-3 sets of 8-10 reps:
Step-ups (box height slightly above knee)
10 x 10
10 x 10
10 x 10

Hip extension exercise – choose one of the following exercises and perform 3 sets of 8-12 reps:
Glute-ham raises
Bw - a shit ton x 8
x 6 rip hammies I have no clue how to activate glutes in this position or in general really.

Weighted Abdominals – choose one of the following exercises and perform 4 sets of 10-15 reps:
Hanging leg raises
Bw x 15
Bw x 15
Bw x 15
Bw x 15

I took Saturday and Sunday (Father's Day) off my body was feeling pretty beat up. I will be back at it in a couple of hours.

Tuesday, June 21, 2016
Repetition Upper Body

Repetition Exercise – choose one of the following exercises and perform 3 sets of max reps OR 4 sets of 12-15 reps:
Incline bench press
45 x 15
95 x 10
135 x 15
135 x 12
135 x 12

Vertical pulling / Rear delt superset – Superset one exercise from “Group 1” with one exercise from “Group 2.” Perform 3-4 supersets of 8-12 reps of each exercise.
Group 1
Straight arm pulldowns
75 x 10
62.5 x 10 better form though
62.5 x 10

Group 2
Scarecrows
12.5 x 8
12.5 x 7
7.5 x 10

Medial delts – choose one of the following exercises and perform 4 sets of 8-12 reps:
Cable lateral raises
10 x 10
10 x 10
10 x 10
10 x 10

Traps / Arms superset – Superset one exercise from “Group 1” with one exercise from “Group 2.” Perform 3 supersets.
Group 1 (Perform 8-10 reps)
Machine shrugs
125 x 10
125 x 10
125 x 10

Group 2
Triceps pushdowns (15-25 reps each set)
42.5 x 25
45 x 25
42.5 x 25

Grip / Forearms – choose one of the following exercises:
Wrist roller (2-3 sets of 2-3 reps)
1.5 sets

Wednesday, June 22, 2016
Max-Effort Lower Body

MAX-EFFORT LIFT – work up to a max set of 3-5 reps in one of the following exercises:

Squats
45 x 10
135 x 5
225 x 3
245 x 3
275 x 3

Lower back is stiff as shit I needed preworkout and aspirin, didn't take either.

UNILATERAL MOVEMENT – choose one of the following exercises and perform 3 sets of 6-12 reps:
Walking lunges
35 x 6
35 x 6
35 x 6

HAMSTRING / POSTERIOR CHAIN MOVEMENT – choose one of the following exercises and perform 3 sets of 8-12 reps:
45-degree hyperextensions
44 kb x 10
44 kb x 10
44 kb x 10

Ground-based, high-rep abdominal circuit – Example: sprinter sit-ups, V-ups, toe touches, hip thrusts. Perform 10-20 reps of each exercise and go through the circuit 2-3 times. Rest 1-2 minutes between circuits.
I attempted to do Sprinter sit ups 3 times could not maintain the position because of lower back got mad and left I skipped the conditioning finisher

Friday, June 24, 2016
Max-Effort Upper Body

Max-Effort Exercise – work up to a max set of 3-5 reps in one of the following exercises:

Close-grip bench press (index finger on smooth part of bar)
45 x 12
95 x 6
135 x 6
185 x 5 ezpz
205 x 3

Incline DB bench press (palms in)
40 x 20
40 x 27 went more explosive on this set... definitely will be doing more weight next time

Neutral grip seems to wear my shoulders out like crazy.

Horizontal pulling / Rear delt superset – Superset one exercise from “Group 1” with one exercise from “Group 2.” Perform 3-4 supersets of 8-12 reps of each exercise.

Group 1
Chest supported rows
135 x 10
135 x 10
135 x 9.5

Group 2
Rear delt flyes
15 x 12
20 x 12
20 x 11.5

Traps – Perform 3 – 4 sets of 8-15 reps of one of the following exercises:

Behind the back barbell shrugs
185 x 10
185 x 10
185 x 10
185 x 10
Went light with the lower back pain I've been experiencing I don't want to load too much.

Elbow flexor exercise – Perform 3-4 sets of 8-15 reps of one of the following exercises:

Barbell curls (thick bar)
45 x 15
65 x 15
65 x 10

Back