Volkanovski on Max rematch: "I struggled to give him one round. No reason for a rematch. We'll see"

Verace

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
"Watching it again and I was trying to watch it as I was trying not to be biased. I was definitely trying to notice everything that he done. I was struggling to give him one round. I really did. There’s obviously rounds that was a lot closer than others but if you’re giving him a round, it’s purely because he was champion and you wanted him to win. That’s the way I look at it. There was some rounds that were a little bit closer but I was struggling to give him a round. I really was. But it’s not like I blew him out of the park every round but I was definitely ahead.”

“If it was a lot closer, a split decision, stuff like that, I mean my coaches are even going to say he deserves that rematch. But they watched the tape and they’re like ‘you can’t just give him a rematch after that,’” Volkanovski said. “I’m the type of person, I’ll fight whoever.

“I believe I’ll get the job done anyway. Not just that, I reckon there’s money in that rematch as well and I could probably redo my contract, we’ll see. Again, we’ll just see. There’s time.”

images

https://www.mmafighting.com/2020/1/...d-on-max-holloway-receiving-automatic-rematch

IMO thats him playing hard to get for a better payday. I think this fight will happen. Seems to be the direction the ufc is steering and usually they get it done.

Last edited:
"Watching it again and I was trying to watch it as I was trying not to be biased. I was definitely trying to notice everything that he done. I was struggling to give him one round. I really did. There’s obviously rounds that was a lot closer than others but if you’re giving him a round, it’s purely because he was champion and you wanted him to win. That’s the way I look at it. There was some rounds that were a little bit closer but I was struggling to give him a round. I really was. But it’s not like I blew him out of the park every round but I was definitely ahead.”

“If it was a lot closer, a split decision, stuff like that, I mean my coaches are even going to say he deserves that rematch. But they watched the tape and they’re like ‘you can’t just give him a rematch after that,’” Volkanovski said. “I’m the type of person, I’ll fight whoever.

“I believe I’ll get the job done anyway. Not just that, I reckon there’s money in that rematch as well and I could probably redo my contract, we’ll see. Again, we’ll just see. There’s time.”

https://www.mmafighting.com/2020/1/...d-on-max-holloway-receiving-automatic-rematch
Max would be better off destroying someone and coming back for it. I’d be more excited to watch it to. There’s nothing wrong with taking a slight step down in competition to show you still got it.

It wasn't close. Volk is bad matchup for Max. I wanna see someone new.

He's fighting Max next...who else is there at 145? If not Max, you're ducking hard.

Agree with Volk completely. No need for a rematch every time a champ loses.
If Max deserves to be champion again he should be able to beat another contender or two, if he can't then he's no champ.
I don't know why the UFC is so hell bent on doing rematches every time the belt changes hands.
Max was a solid champ but it's not like he had a GSP/Silva/Aldo level reign.

fsff.png

What a boss.

The champ is dropping truth bombs

He is absolutely right, an automatic rematch would be dumb specially how the 1st fight ended.

If Max destroys someone like Zabit or Zombie next then a rematch could be more interesting

I would love to see Max fighting some of the other guys. Zabit, KZ, Yair or even Kattar.

Max would be better off destroying someone and coming back for it. I’d be more excited to watch it to. There’s nothing wrong with taking a slight step down in competition to show you still got it.

100%

I wish more fighters had this mentality.

It was a one sided fight. The only reason to do a rematch right now is if he has no other good matchups.

And just lol at ducking Max. He won that fight and made it look easy. Come on guys

Max isn’t Aldo. You don’t have to destroy him twice to convince everyone that you’re the best.

Immediate rematches should never happen unless there was a freak accident that ended the fight. Accidental headbutt cause a fight ending cut, fine. Close fights/split decisions/long time champs the loser should have to win a fight before fighting for the title again.

Max would lose again, he really had nothing for Volk and Volk beat him at his own game, what else can he do to improve on that?

Let the top 5/6 work itself out over the next 6 months and Volk can come back and fight a clear number 1 contender, if that happens to be Holloway then fair enough.

I thought Max landed more cleanly & won rounds 4 & 5 pretty clearly, but I'd rather see the division move on. Max should take most of the year off the work on his skills outside of boxing. He's still just 27 or 28. Let Volk go to war with Zombie, & Zabit for to war with Yair. Then come back to a good warm-up like Conor is getting with Cowboy.

Back