Vitamin B... a couple of questions about supplementation

B

Boondocksaint

I am currently considering supplenting vitamin B into my diet.

This is the vitamin B intake that I now get from my GNC Mega Man

Per day

Vit B-6 (pyridoxine hydrochloride) 50mg
Vit B-12 (Cyanocobalamin) 50mcg
Vit B-1 (Thaimin Monoitriate) 50mg
Vit B-2 (Riboflavin) 50mg

I've been trying to search for about 10 minutes, and it appears down, so sorry that I couldn't bring up any old threads about this.

Would it be a waste? Any suggestions?

Right now I am trying to gain weight, so I am eating a lot of food. I lift heavy 3 days a week, and train BJJ between 3 and 5 days a week.

If you want extra B's a Complex wouldn't hurt, but I don't think the Mega Men is a waste if that's what you're asking.

Is there a certain vitamin B I should be getting (12, 6, 1, etc).

Or should I just get a complex with all of them?

I always suggest a Complex because all of the B Vitamins are so versatile and have many different purposes. Plus many of them work very well together.

Cool. Thanks for the advice. I'll pick up a complex today and post what it is.

I think you are missing some B vitamins in there, most multivitamins contains at least: Folic Acid, Biotin, and Niacin.

IMHO, if you are trying to gain weight forget about extra supplementation, try to eat foods rich in the specific B-vitamins you are looking for.

Boondocksaint said:
Cool. Thanks for the advice. I'll pick up a complex today and post what it is.

Yeah, a complex is best, but I'm pretty sure one of the benefits of B-12 is that it increases your appetite, so you may want to look for a Multi-B that has an abundance of that.

OK, here is what I am taking.

It is a "Super B-Complex"

Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) 150mg
Vit B-1 (thaimin mononitrate) 100mg
Vit B-2 (Riboflavin) 20mg
Vit B-3 (niacinamide) 25mg
Vit B-6 (pryridoxine hydrocloride) 2mg
Vit B-12 (cyanocobalamin) 15mcg
Biotin 3.8mcg
Pantothenic acid (d-calcium pantothenate) 5mg

Yeast and Liver Based

I take it before bed with my Magnesium and Zinc (homemade ZMA baby! Half the price!)

Looks good enough to me.

Boondocksaint said:
OK, here is what I am taking.

It is a "Super B-Complex"

Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) 150mg
Vit B-1 (thaimin mononitrate) 100mg
Vit B-2 (Riboflavin) 20mg
Vit B-3 (niacinamide) 25mg
Vit B-6 (pryridoxine hydrocloride) 2mg
Vit B-12 (cyanocobalamin) 15mcg
Biotin 3.8mcg
Pantothenic acid (d-calcium pantothenate) 5mg

Yeast and Liver Based

I take it before bed with my Magnesium and Zinc (homemade ZMA baby! Half the price!)

Remember that if your b-complex has any sort of calcium filler it can interfere with the absorption of Zinc and Magnesium.

Yeah, I did know that. I actually used to take Calcium with my ZMA at night and it didn't really make too much of a difference.

If I were you I would take the b-complex in the morning with breakfast and take your ZMA right before bed on an empty stomach!

BoxingFanNoMore said:
IMHO, if you are trying to gain weight forget about extra supplementation, try to eat foods rich in the specific B-vitamins you are looking for.

I agree , why are you taking B supps?? .. these are generally for people who have a deficiency (mostly due to their diet or such) , supps are poorly absorbed by the body at best , drink and eat foods high in B , milk is an easy one ..

i am guessing you take supps for extra boost?, but IMO and from what i have studied , you are 100x better off eating the foods , but i don

hmmm, this is weird. The add on this page (right above this message box), is for "Vital B-100", a B vitamin. Man, the internet is getting smart.

Boondocksaint said:
hmmm, this is weird. The add on this page (right above this message box), is for "Vital B-100", a B vitamin. Man, the internet is getting smart.

Classic.

Boondocksaint said:

The power of advertising! I have also noticed it with other thread topics.

Wolverine
///

i've read the most aborbable way to get ur b-vitamins is thru bee pollen.. it's natural and even more absorbable if u chew it too..

look it up.. it has all the b-vitamins and some other beneficial nutrients as well.. :wink:

Back