Vitaly Minakov vs Mondragon sept 19th Russia

Bellator isnt gonna release him, if he doesnt want to fight for them anymore he just has to wait out the time on his contract.

Contracts hvae fights and time limits on them, like the deal UFC signed with Eddie that Bellator matched was 8 fights or like 48 months, whichever comes first.

Now who knows what Bellators deal was but he was signed years ago so its possible his contract could expire soon so he's taking fights outside Bellator until that happens.

Nobody really knows, would need details of his contract. I can see him wanting to fight in Russia nad shake the rust off but now scheduling another fight it seems like something is def up.

Doesnt mean Bellator cant convince him to come back but Bellator has to make a dec and do something.

Doesnt mean Bellator cant convince him to come back but Bellator has to make a dec and do something.

What can Bellator offer Vitaly if the word is that he doesn't want rematches with either Kongo or Volkov?

No way is Minakov coming over to fight some no-name lay and pray scrub like Tony Johnson or whoever else Bellator has in their joke of HW division.

the ONLY chance they have to is to convince him that a fight against Bobby Lashley would do big numbers.

They literally have nothing else for the champ...

Here (interview in Russian after his fight with Adam) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJFrWjWeiiE Vitaly says that his next fight in Bellator will be a title defense against Kongo.
Also Minakov was at radio show at Russian Sport FM days before his last fight (I think 4 days before the fight). He mentioned that during his absence doctors said to him that because of his injuries maybe he will not be able to fight again. About UFC he said that there is no negotiations with them and that he is a Bellator fighter. From what I understand he doesn't plan to join any other promotion until he finish his contract with Bellator and become free agent.

As a Russian with some knowledge of the situation, there is a lot to this story.

1. YES, Vitaly is now doing some political work in his home region on Bryansk, Russia. It is not full-time but it is a serious job (UFC fighter Ali Baguatinov is also doing political work in Dagestan, Russia and both men are on the Fight-Nights team). So while that is a serious commitment for Vitaly it doesn't necessarily mean his career is over.

2. He had suffered a serious injury that took him out for about a year. He only started training again about 2 months ago and is taking a few "shake-of-the-rust" fights in Russia for the Fight-Nights promotion that he is a partner with. He also wanted to have some fights near his political region to help develop MMA back home.

3. He has said that he only wants to take a couple more fights and would like to fight in the UFC. IMO he is gearing up for one more serious run (he will be training with Fedor for his return) in the US for a few fights.

-Whether that'll be in the UFC or Bellator is anyones guess but rumors are that he is not interested in rematches with Kongo or Volkov(understandably those fights are meh)

My prediction:
Bellator can convince him that a fight vs. Bobby Lashley as either main-event or co-main at a future Tentpole event would be worth Vitaly's time
OR
Bellator releases him ala Eddie Alvarez and Minakov comes into the UFC for a fight against a Mir, Bigfoot, Browne type opponent and WINS

This cleared up so many questions. Thank you for the insight!

What can Bellator offer Vitaly if the word is that he doesn't want rematches with either Kongo or Volkov?

No way is Minakov coming over to fight some no-name lay and pray scrub like Tony Johnson or whoever else Bellator has in their joke of HW division.

the ONLY chance they have to is to convince him that a fight against Bobby Lashley would do big numbers.

They literally have nothing else for the champ...

If thats the case then strip him.

But something has to be done. Either he's coming back and a deal can be reached to fight someone or you move on without him. The problem is its not being made clear to the public and mma media doesnt seem to give a shit enough to ask.

Imagine if this was UFC and Cain after 18 months started taking fights in Mexico in an org. I would think every mma media member would be hounding Dana for answers on whats going on with their HW title.

And if Minakov comes back the Kongo fight isnt the fight I'd do, you cash in with Lashley now, it gets you ratings and either Lashley wins and you have a big name as champ or he loses and you get a big rating out of it.

Nobody wants to see the Kongo fight again, NOBODY. I'd rather Johnson get it, atleast thats a fresh matchup.

I just want to see him in the UFC one day.

https://instagram.com/geronimodos/

September 19th Fight NIght GLobal Russia

The question here!

Is Bellator going to continue to run a company without a hw champ?

Strip him already

Bellator will probably strip him soon which will give him exactly what he wants. Right to sign with the UFC. 15-0 30 year old HWs don't come along often, especially ones who have been champs of top orgs. He'll probably be 16-0 by then too because Mondragon is average, he's just big.

They need to make a move at this point. It's gone on too long. Letting him fight else where makes your company look bad. If he doesn't want to fight, let him go. Not like Minakov is some huge draw. Your better off ratings wise having a Lashley, Kongo, JT, type of title fight.

It's pretty bush-league to have your HW champion fighting for other promotions while seemingly indifferent to ever returning to fight for your company and defend his title. Minakov is almost cuckholding Bellator.

If thats the case then strip him.

But something has to be done. Either he's coming back and a deal can be reached to fight someone or you move on without him. The problem is its not being made clear to the public and mma media doesnt seem to give a shit enough to ask.

Imagine if this was UFC and Cain after 18 months started taking fights in Mexico in an org. I would think every mma media member would be hounding Dana for answers on whats going on with their HW title.

I agree CC27, it is a problem because seemingly no one other than the hardcore fans care about this situation. It blows my mind how no one in the media seems to ask Coker about their MIA HW champ. One guy (MMAJunkie radio i think...) brought it up and Coker just casually said that they've been in talks and that he should be returning soon. With no real info about the situation. I'm guessing that Bellator offered him another Kongo rematch, and Minakov replied with "nah" and now they are at a standstill. Really sad because Minakov is one of the most promising athletes in all of MMA.

Last edited:
I agree CC27, it is a problem because seemingly no one other than the hardcore fans care about this situation. It blows my mind how no one in the media seems to ask Coker about their MIA HW champ. One guy (MMAJunkie radio i think...) brought it up and Coker just casually said that they've been in talks and that he should be returning soon. With no real info about the situation. I'm guessing that Bellator offered him another Kongo rematch, and Minakov replied with "nah" and now their are a standstill. Really sad because Minakov is one of the most promising athletes in all of MMA.

I think that even the most hardcore fans don't care about Bellator HW division. Bellator is all LW and FW, with some LHW. That's the reason why nobody is asking Coker where is Minakov or the others HWs. That division is dead right now and doesnt look like it can be built.

I think that even the most hardcore fans don't care about Bellator HW division. Bellator is all LW and FW, with some LHW. That's the reason why nobody is asking Coker where is Minakov or the others HWs. That division is dead right now and doesnt look like it can be built.

Middleweight has to be their worst division. No champion, no title fight in the near future and the only guys they have are Halsey, McCrory, Marshall, and fucking Kendall Grove

Middleweight has to be their worst division. No champion, no title fight in the near future and the only guys they have are Halsey, McCrory, Marshall, and fucking Kendall Grove

lolololol

Don't forget about Joe Schilling bruh. He's gonna make that crossover

o wait...

Bellator's BW literally has less than 10 guys. I don't care how good the top 3 guys in that div are, a division with about 7-9 guys is pretty bad, especially for the #2 MMA company in the world.

As for Bellator's MW division, they need to give Tamdan McCrory that shot already.

Here (interview in Russian after his fight with Adam) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJFrWjWeiiE Vitaly says that his next fight in Bellator will be a title defense against Kongo.
Also Minakov was at radio show at Russian Sport FM days before his last fight (I think 4 days before the fight). He mentioned that during his absence doctors said to him that because of his injuries maybe he will not be able to fight again. About UFC he said that there is no negotiations with them and that he is a Bellator fighter. From what I understand he doesn't plan to join any other promotion until he finish his contract with Bellator and become free agent.

Well I hope this true, to be honest having Mo, Newton, or McGeary bulk up (since at least one of them will be non-champ/not in contention when the tourney is over may be a better match considering what happened in Mo v Kongo.

As for Bellator's MW division, they need to give Tamdan McCrory that shot already.
sKG0GeZ.gif

It's all over, Fight Nights are promoting Minakov as their own fighter. Nobody cares about Bellator.

Back