• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Violence against children in fiction

not putting kids on a pedestal in fiction = abusing them
nice logic there

You said: "It annoys me to no end when kids are treated diferently in fiction, it breaks my immersion,"

Besides the spelling of differently, what stood out to me was that you remain immersed only if kids are treated the same as adults. Or that you remain immersed only if kids in fiction are treated like kids in real life, which would be on a pedestal, which you're arguing against.

Basically you're saying you want to punch kids in computer games just like real life because that would be more immersive.

Or as your spelling of differently suggests, maybe you're not communicating or thinking very clearly on the matter?

Fuck those kids.
article-2088999-000032A300000258-712_468x628.jpg

What exactly is "abuse"

I got slapped,punched,hit with a wooden spoon,hit with a medal spoon, hit with a stick,hit with a belt buckle,threatened with a knife,threatened with an axe, thrown out to sleep on the streets sometimes.

And my relationship with parents is fairly ok

You said: "It annoys me to no end when kids are treated diferently in fiction, it breaks my immersion,"

Besides the spelling of differently, what stood out to me was that you remain immersed only if kids are treated the same as adults. Or that you remain immersed only if kids in fiction are treated like kids in real life, which would be on a pedestal, which you're arguing against.

Basically you're saying you want to punch kids in computer games just like real life because that would be more immersive.

Or as your spelling of differently suggests, maybe you're not communicating or thinking very clearly on the matter?
I'm sorry for not being up to your spelling standards when posting on my mobile phone. It seems like it triggered you quite a lot, as it's at the center of your argument. I hope you get over it eventually.

What annoys me is when kids get this veil of invulnerability in any fictional medium. As in the video game example it's immersion breaking when all other NPCs are affected by your actions but the child NPCs are immune to the very same thing. It breaks the 4th wall because specific real life sensibilities overshadow game logic and mechanics.

In movies it's very boring and predictable when a kid is in a life threatening situation but you know nothing will happen because rarely would they dare let the kid suffer the same consequences as an adult would in the same predicament.

Bad shit happens to children in real life all the time. It's horrible and sad but it's part of our world. Fiction draws inspiration from our lives and environment, but when kids are exempt from that it makes the fiction much less believable.

If they are going to put kids in any fiction, then they better be subject to the same wide variety of consequences and story paths, whether or not it' violent and might hurt someone's sensibilities, because the alternative is a predictable story.

that's the worst is when there is a masterpiece by a titan of cinema and then some mediocrity is like, "naw man, I'm going to do my version."

the worst offenses I can think of are The Shining, Solaris, and Psycho.

Solaris was a remake of the Andromeda strain yes?

It's bad enough when that shit's implied but when it's actually described or shown on screen in graphic detail, then I get queasy. That scene in the movie Doctor Sleep (I'm sure those who've seen the movie know the scene I'm talking about) traumatised me for life. I never wanna see that movie ever again as long as I live. I'm afraid that now the boundaries of what is acceptable to show being done to children on screen will eventually be pushed even further. Thoughts?

I really prefer it when movies show bad shit happening to women and children. When they cut away, I think it removes the emotional impact from a scene of how brutal that shit really is. If you're going to off a kid in a movie, don't be a pussy about it. Make us squirm in our seats. Don't make me imagine that shit.

What exactly is "abuse"

I got slapped,punched,hit with a wooden spoon,hit with a medal spoon, hit with a stick,hit with a belt buckle,threatened with a knife,threatened with an axe, thrown out to sleep on the streets sometimes.

And my relationship with parents is fairly ok
Didn't you fought your father in some family reunion or something?

We beat each other up then next day everything is okay because family is all we have and we are all unlucky as fuck

You could say we are displaying our emotions like this lol

Though dad has grown tired of losing and just sits quietly whole day which is worrying

I was far more offended that the movie dared to try & sequel a bona fide classic like The Shining, only to absolutely suck donkey balls.

The extended kid torture scene was just more icing on the shit cake. Hack filmmakers trying to be edgy, in place of doing anything creative to be scary, like in ya know... an actual good horror movie.

Thought it was a good super hero movie personally

We beat each other up then next day everything is okay because family is all we have and we are all unlucky as fuck

You could say we are displaying our emotions like this lol

Though dad has grown tired of losing and just sits quietly whole day which is worrying
I would never get violent with any relative or even any person I like.

Regarding your first post. Beating, threating and kicking off a child of his house is abuse in my book.

Solaris was a remake of the Andromeda strain yes?

Its a remake of(or rather an adaptation of the same book as) Andrei Tarkovsky's film of the same name from 1972, arguebly the film(along with Silent Running the same year) that invented the "lived in future" that Starwars and Alien picked up on.

81949e36302edc55c2e2157b679a6647.jpg

Its a remake of(or rather an adaptation of the same book as) Andrei Tarkovsky's film of the same name from 1972, arguebly the film(along with Silent Running the same year) that invented the "lived in future" that Starwars and Alien picked up on.

81949e36302edc55c2e2157b679a6647.jpg
A movie for me to ignore then

that's the worst is when there is a masterpiece by a titan of cinema and then some mediocrity is like, "naw man, I'm going to do my version."

the worst offenses I can think of are The Shining, Solaris, and Psycho.
I was far more offended that the movie dared to try & sequel a bona fide classic like The Shining, only to absolutely suck donkey balls.

The extended kid torture scene was just more icing on the shit cake. Hack filmmakers trying to be edgy, in place of doing anything creative to be scary, like in ya know... an actual good horror movie.

Did you two read Dr. Sleep book, meaning are you rustled that King wrote the sequel or that the movie was not as good as the book?

I got to tell you that the movie was a solid take on the book. The book was not a scary af horror like the The Shinning was. The only real drawbacks of the movie is that a lot of th echaracters were not as flushed out, but that can be said about almost all books to movies, no?

TS- the child abuse is wwwaaayyyy worse in the book and I did not like that part of the book.

I'm sorry for not being up to your spelling standards when posting on my mobile phone. It seems like it triggered you quite a lot, as it's at the center of your argument. I hope you get over it eventually.

What annoys me is when kids get this veil of invulnerability in any fictional medium. As in the video game example it's immersion breaking when all other NPCs are affected by your actions but the child NPCs are immune to the very same thing. It breaks the 4th wall because specific real life sensibilities overshadow game logic and mechanics.

In movies it's very boring and predictable when a kid is in a life threatening situation but you know nothing will happen because rarely would they dare let the kid suffer the same consequences as an adult would in the same predicament.

Bad shit happens to children in real life all the time. It's horrible and sad but it's part of our world. Fiction draws inspiration from our lives and environment, but when kids are exempt from that it makes the fiction much less believable.

If they are going to put kids in any fiction, then they better be subject to the same wide variety of consequences and story paths, whether or not it' violent and might hurt someone's sensibilities, because the alternative is a predictable story.
Fair point well made.

Did you two read Dr. Sleep book, meaning are you rustled that King wrote the sequel or that the movie was not as good as the book?

I got to tell you that the movie was a solid take on the book. The book was not a scary af horror like the The Shinning was. The only real drawbacks of the movie is that a lot of th echaracters were not as flushed out, but that can be said about almost all books to movies, no?
Stephen King's output has always been spotty and he hasn't written much good. Books 5-7 of The Dark Tower were pretty bad and I think he even admitted that he wrote them as quickly as possible because he was scared he'd die before he completed the series.

It's no good, but what can you do. It sure as hell doesn't rustle much jimmies like this shit.

Last edited:
Back