Vintage UFC vs Current UFC: Which one is more entertaining?

User9992

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Which UFC Era is more entertaining?

- Old, vintage UFC from 90's - early 2000's
(Royce Gracie, Ken Shamrock, Dan Severn, Don Fry, Mark Coleman, Tank Abbot, Vitor Belfort, Tito Ortiz, Randy Couture, Chuck Liddell, BJ Penn, Wanderlei Silva, Matt Hughes, Josh Barnett, Frank Mir et al.);

or

- Current/Modern UFC... late 2000's till now (Jon Jones, Anderson Silva, Adesanya, McGregor, Volk, Khabib, DC, Mighty Mouse, Aldo, Stipe Miocic, Usman, Alex Pereira , Amanda Nunes, Ronda Rousey, Cejudo, Max Holloway, Cain, JDS et al.).

Modern day fighters are obviously much more professional & better all around fighters...But I feel like old UFC was more entertaining!

I remember when I was a kid back late 90's & early 2000's... I was passionately buying & collecting UFC tapes on VHS. Back then UFC & MMA in general seemed to be cool & something new.

I still remember watching UFC 1 where the small & skinny Royce Gracie beat bigger dudes choking them out. And then likes of Randy, Tito, Chuck, Belfort, BJ Penn arrived.

And I used to think Tito was actually great fighter back then... <45>

Each has it's own entertainment value, but for me being older I'd pick the early ones. Putting in that VHS tape and watching people beat the fuck out of each other representing their styles, was like video games coming to life. Nothing will ever beat that first experience, specially from the 90's boom.

Each has it's own entertainment value, but for me being older I'd pick the early ones. Putting in that VHS tape and watching people beat the fuck out of each other representing their styles, was like video games coming to life. Nothing will ever beat that first experience, specially from the 90's boom.

Agreed. Nothing beats first childhood experience.

It's all good. Back then it felt more like a spectacle, whereas now it tries to appear more like a sport. I enjoy both.

Higher quality nowadays but more fake personalities.
Grittier characters back in the day but definitely sloppier.

I dig it all, I'm a glass half full typa gal.

Old school checking in, no weight classes, only rules, no eye gouging and no biting.
<codychoke>

<{JustBleed}>

TUF noob here. I knew nothing of MMA before this time period, during which I also watched Bodog Fight and the International Fight League. The WEC came along around this time I believe.

For the UFC specifically, the Spike TV era was wonderful. Historically, that may have been the Silver Age, but for me it was Golden! The UFC was still great during the Fox Sports years. But since it came to ESPN, my enthusiasm for the UFC and MMA has diminished somewhat.

Back