Vintage Boxing Gloves

m96jjd.jpg

I have something here not so old, but pretty infamous. Anyone take a guess what it's from?
IMG_E0194.jpg

Lol.

hqdefault.jpg

" I'LL TELL YOU RIGHT NOW ... " " HELL NAW. "

I have something here not so old, but pretty infamous. Anyone take a guess what it's from?
IMG_E0194.jpg
Wait, is that the actual glove itself that Maidana had? Or is it just an Everlast MX glove with the same artwork / colors?

Was able to snap a few today. I have A LOT. Much in safe storage. Will likely keep posting as I come across some gems. I don't want to just flood the thread all at once.

First up is a Jack Dempsey glove, circa 1920. Worn by Dempsey himself.

Jack Dempsey was the heavyweight champion from 1919 – 1926 and became one of the top celebrities of the 1920s. Known for his aggressive fighting style, Dempsey endeared himself to the sporting public and was as popular as other famous athletes of that day, including Babe Ruth. Dempsey was a money-maker for the industry as well as he was apart of the first ever million-dollar gate and attendance for his fights included an estimated 85,000 strong for his bout with Luis Angel Firpo at the Polo Grounds in New York.
IMG_0188.jpg

IMG_0191.jpg
Nice! If you don’t mind me asking, how much would those gloves be worth? Do you have a way to prove Dempsey wore them if you were ever looking to sell?

This may be one of the oldest Everlast items I own. Pretty amazing piece, and you have to love the pattern/frill around the eyeholes/top of the headgear.

got this for free, hope to spar in it one day, but it will have to be broken in.

Last edited:
the next three items, the groin protector, headgear and Winning gloves, were picked up as a set.

here's a groin protector to start:

lastly, the headgear. Bonus pic of Tyson wearing a similar piece. Image is a screenshot from a very cool Mike Tyson training video, courtesy of Rainy Day Boxing.

infamous Everlast 28xxs, the thumbless glove. Designed by John Golomb, to prevent thumbing, famously made for Sugar Ray Leonard. These are the training gloves, not the fight gloves.

Another pair of the an early Winning SS glove, different than the pair I posted earlier.

Any idea how old these are?

No idea. I actually brought the other pair of Winning gloves in for Kazumichi to see, and that might have been a bit of a mistake. He seemed surprised, and potentially unhappy that I had procured these gloves. I know that Kaz doesn't like the fact that people can buy Winning from other sources than directly through Winning USA. He held them in his hands briefly, and seemed to be asking himself how I got them.... We didn't talk much about them.

Granted, the above analysis of his reaction may be wrong, just the way I felt. I really like and respect Kaz.

Everlast 2418

I think these 24xxs were the last pair of Pro Training Gloves made in the USA.

Got these from an old timer who said he won them in a sparring match against a Navy man. Said he knocked him out and got these as a sort of trophy, guess the pink slips were on the line.

Very comfortable pair of gloves. I've had 14s and 16s from this era, and there seems to have been some variation between those pairs in how they felt. I've sparred in these gloves, and they were great. Very, very large, I'll have to weigh them as I suspect they're more than 18 ounces.

Here's a pic of my workhorse bag gloves, the Everlast 43056. The six at the end just denotes that the glove is the larger version on the 4305.

Got them a while back, when I had just fallen in love with my Tuf Wear SGMs. Thought they were a ugly compared to the Tuf Wears, but then I lost the SGMs and fell in love with these gloves. Received these in new condition, all the wear/tear/loving is from my personal use.

Bonus pics of some Muhammad Ali 43056s. Love the "Made Exspressly for MUHAMMAD ALI" on the labels.

Note: I don't Ali mitts at all. Just wanted to show that The Greatest used gloves just like these. Interesting how most think these types of gloves are useless/outdated.

Last edited:
A quick Everlast break...

Some of my "other brand" boxing mitts. Sol Levinson, one of the oldest glove makers from San Francisco (and the alleged precursor to the Flores gloves). Tuf Wear, from Sydney, Nebraska, before the factory fire most likely. Post gloves, I know that Cassius used them when he was young. Lastly, some Benlee gloves, of Marciano fame.

I never knew much about Benlee, then I found this newspaper clipping. Interesting to see the connection with the Golomb/Everlast name.

Last edited:
awesome collection, makedansure!

Wait, is that the actual glove itself that Maidana had? Or is it just an Everlast MX glove with the same artwork / colors?
It's one of them. We normally make 3 pairs. He obviously didn't fight in them so we got most of them back.

Another from me:

Some vintage gloves, early version of the 4308's i believe.
IMG_E0189.jpg

IMG_E0190.jpg

Back