Vikings is back on tonight with a new season

Stopped watching after Ragnar died. No regrets.
It really did go downhill after that. He was the best character in the whole saga. I wish they had just wrapped it up this past season.

Vikings is a rare show imo because it went to such shit in season 4 but it managed to get really good (for the most part) in season 5 again. I’m really glad I slogged through season 4 and I almost gave up a few times.

My biggest hope for season 6 is they bring back Floki since he’s been my favorite character but him in Iceland was just a waste.

If someone is interested in actual viking culture and somewhat accurate portrayal of it, i recommend "Last Kingdom", based on an also historically accurate book series.

I tried to like Vikings before but what they made out of the culture is so fucking cliche hollywood-bullshit, I simply couldn't.

If someone is interested in actual viking culture and somewhat accurate portrayal of it, i recommend "Last Kingdom", based on an also historically accurate book series.

I tried to like Vikings before but what they made out of the culture is so fucking cliche hollywood-bullshit, I simply couldn't.
So we started LK last night and the first episode wasn’t very good. There wasn’t any differentiation in the languages they were speaking (nice touch in Vikings), all of the Vikings seemed anglicized at least in their speech. I’m hoping it gets better and the first battle scene in it was overall pretty bad

So we started LK last night and the first episode wasn’t very good. There wasn’t any differentiation in the languages they were speaking (nice touch in Vikings), all of the Vikings seemed anglicized at least in their speech. I’m hoping it gets better and the first battle scene in it was overall pretty bad
If you really think that way you better stop watching now before wasting too much time. I don't think that there is something that could change your mind during the season if you don't like it from the beginning.

Can't comment on the language thing since I'm not watching in English, but in terms of battle scenes etc. they simply hold it a little more historically accurate than most medieval shows. Maybe the reason you like Vikings and don't like Last Kingdom is basically the same reason I dislike Vikings and like Last Kingdom.

If you really think that way you better stop watching now before wasting too much time. I don't think that there is something that could change your mind during the season if you don't like it from the beginning.

Can't comment on the language thing since I'm not watching in English, but in terms of battle scenes etc. they simply hold it a little more historically accurate than most medieval shows. Maybe the reason you like Vikings and don't like Last Kingdom is basically the same reason I dislike Vikings and like Last Kingdom.

Lk is basically a low budget version of vikings. They set up big battles but only have a handful of actors and extras to fill the battlefield. Uhtred just goes anywhere and does anything without a problem and whenever he gets into a serious situation domeone just magically appears to save him. Everytime.

Its based on a series of fictional novels, the characters are made up amalgamations just like ragnar lothbrook.
Its no more a retelling of history than vikings, its just a different writerr's version.

Coke and pepsi.

Really liked it initially but stopped after season 2.

Last edited:
Lk is basically a low budget version of vikings. They set up big battles but only have a handful of actors and extras to fill the battlefield. Uhtred just goes anywhere and does anything without a problem and whenever he gets into a serious situation domeone just magically appears to save him. Everytime.

Its based on a series of fictional novels, the characters are made up amalgamations just like ragnar lothbrook.
Its no more a retelling of history than vikings, its just a different writerr's version.

Really liked it initially but stopped after season 2.
Calling it basically a low budget version of Vikings is ignorant at best. As I stated before, Vikings is the definition of fantasy, zero historical accuracy anywhere. Can't say the same about Last Kingdom or generally everything by Bernard Cornwell. Of course the novels are fiction. But the portrayal of everything is accurate, even Alfred and other historical figures that are featured. That's why it's appealing to me. Not because of the number of men on the battlefield.

What language are you watching it in? Having recently travelled to Norway and doing my best to learn some of the language I could pick up a few words here and there in Vikings. I wasn’t sure if they were speaking an older version of Norwegian or just modern.

My comment of the battle scene was it just seemed sloppy and poorly put together but I have a few friends that like both shows and have said it does get better. So I’m definitely willing to give it a few to grow.
I do have to say I enjoyed how LK did the shield wall despite some historians thinking Vikings didn’t even use that tactic.

Will be sure to fast forward the weird parts.

This show fell off once Ragnar died . YOu got some cripple who can’t even walk terrorizing everyone it’s a joke .

It’s like a super low budget game of thrones

LOL At some cripple terrorizing everyone. I've only watched through 12 episodes of this show and still havent finished it. I used to love it with Ragnar but now it's just okay.

What language are you watching it in? Having recently travelled to Norway and doing my best to learn some of the language I could pick up a few words here and there in Vikings. I wasn’t sure if they were speaking an older version of Norwegian or just modern.

My comment of the battle scene was it just seemed sloppy and poorly put together but I have a few friends that like both shows and have said it does get better. So I’m definitely willing to give it a few to grow.
I do have to say I enjoyed how LK did the shield wall despite some historians thinking Vikings didn’t even use that tactic.
I watched it in German and/or French, I speak both fluently, but I watch most shows in German simply because that's where I'm living at right now. I'm sure the Norwegian they speak is a different one than what the language is today, but I'm not sure, some languages changed drastically over the last 1000 years, some are basically the same. For example German is definitely a language that changed, but I and any other native German speaker is able to read Medieval texts. The spelling is actually what changed the most. But no idea how it's with the Scandinavian languages.

I watched it in German and/or French, I speak both fluently, but I watch most shows in German simply because that's where I'm living at right now. I'm sure the Norwegian they speak is a different one than what the language is today, but I'm not sure, some languages changed drastically over the last 1000 years, some are basically the same. For example German is definitely a language that changed, but I and any other native German speaker is able to read Medieval texts. The spelling is actually what changed the most. But no idea how it's with the Scandinavian languages.
The old English and old French was really cool to hear on the show. I speak a little bit of French (my wife is fluent) so I am now wondering did they have it all in modern French when you watched it?

The old English and old French was really cool to hear on the show. I speak a little bit of French (my wife is fluent) so I am now wondering did they have it all in modern French when you watched it?
It's been some time now (not really, but I watch many shows lol), but iirc they didn't really make an effort to have some kind of old dialect but they changed the grammer and used words people wouldn't use today for certrain things which is definitely easier to do since it's well documented in old writings what grammar and the vocabulary were like back then.

I'm no expert on that topic, but I also believe that there is no actual consense what the pronunciation was exactly like. When I went to school and had to learn Latin my teacher told us that nobody really knows how Latin was spelled - despite it being the same for 2000 years. This might also be true for old-French. But I could be dead wrong on this one lol

If last kingdoms has “women warriors” beating all the men in one on one combat I’m not watching it

Production values for LK rise each season so it improves. I too was initially turned off by the hokey feel of the show but I feel the story is superior to vikings at times. My only qualm is that ultred is manlet.

Super late I know. Got bored when Ragnar was messing with the Asian chick getting doped out. JUst decided to watch and finish. Wasn't too bad. Ivar is my favorite character. Seems the most fleshed out Ubbe was cool too but I related better with Ivar. 8/10 series

Back