Vietnam or Iraq, which was the most unpopular war in American history?

Yeah, but that isn’t entirely their fault. It was a scam Dick Cheney pulled, made more credible by Colin Powell selling out and presenting false evidence to the UN.

But basically, Cheney would have one of his staff “leak” information to a national paper, like the New York Times, saying something like, “Intelligence sources say Iraq has yellow cake uranium” or whatever.
Then, when Cheney was in front of the media or UN making the case for invading Iraq, he would cite that article as proof that Iraq had WMDs.

That’s not to say it isn’t also the fault of mainstream media. They all jumped onboard. And had they exercised any kind of journalistic rigor, they would have realized how flimsy the evidence was.

Part of the mainstream media’s enthusiasm for invading Iraq was also due to the conflation of patriotism with wanting to invade Iraq. If you go back to the old War Room threads, you will see this conflation demonstrated quite a bit. Anyone who didn’t want to invade Iraq was considered unpatriotic. And that was a national phenomenon. In fact, it’s the definition of nationalism, not patriotism. But the mainstream outlets didn’t want to be accused of not being onboard with this post 9/11 nationalism. It was like a club. And it was considered the American thing to do - to be part of the post 9/11 nationalism club.
They even outed a cia agent because her husband found Iraq wasn’t buying uranium for a nuclear weapons program.

From what I rember the overall narrative was something like Iraq is friends with terrorist groups and another 9/11 will happen if the USA don't take preventive methods and they have WMD so it can be worse.
The lead up to the invasion of Iraq shaped the view of an entire generation of young people on the USA. The general level of culture and intelligence in that population is so appalling that they will swallow anything the media tells them.

I guess now at least they are too busy hating each other but back then they were a threat to world safety.

I think the Vietnam war of the 1960s and the Iraq war of the early 2000s are probably the two most unpopular wars in American history because both wars were widely hated domestically and internationally.

Question is which war do you think was more hated? Which war put a bigger stain on America's reputation with both its people and the human population at large?
I don't even get how Vietnam happened.
"We're going to war in another country, and you cunts are going to fight it for us whether you like it or not".
The whole situation and loss of life inflicted on normal people who had no place there and even protested it, is just unfathomable.
Imagine that today.

I think the Vietnam war was very ideological. It was because of but but communism.

The Iraq invasion was mostly for economic reasons and profiteering.

No.
George W. Bush, a devout Christian, said the Iraq War was about keeping Murica safe.

No.
George W. Bush, a devout Christian, said the Iraq War was about keeping Murica safe.
That era was so insane. I remember some senators being interviewed. " I sometimes question if Saddam Hussein is even a son of God" is what I heard once. The religious reasons being invoked to invade Iraq were fucked up.

This may be another subject but what Putin is doing in Ukraine is kid's play in comparison to what W, Cheney and Co did in Iraq.

I'd say neither as the upcoming WWIII will be even more unpopular.thanks.

Back