*VIDEO* some random sparring from this friday.

Dunno but IMO throwing a left hook to the body like that , with no jab / hook up top or even a feint is a good way to get cracked with a good shot ( either by design or he just happens to throw a shot at the same time)
Maybe in the later rounds , when the other guy's tired , you can get away with it but not this early.

TO SULLY 80 :

Another thing ( though u didn't ask ) , in the last 10 seconds , it's nice to see you use the shoulder roll n all but that lil sway you did while absorbing his left is a strict no-no.
Though homeboy obviously doesn't know what he's doing , that hook is thrown to move you into the right hand which you won't be able to roll from there.
You roll the right but NOT the hook . You put your right hand on your face and trust in it stopping that shot. You can sway back or down and to your right , even INTO his hook ( which gives u great countering opportunities ) but you DO NOT sway to the left.
What u did there is a natural flinch reaction . You have to train that out. Yeah it takes a bit of the impact off that hook but it's not like you're gonna KOed through your glove.

Floyd Mayweather does that sometimes but what he's doing is showing them that lil window of opportunity for that right and then taking it away . You have to remember that one of the first things Floyd always does is take away his opponents right hand.
Once he does that they're hesitant to throw it anymore. Then he shows them that little opportunity to get them throwing it again.
He can do that because he's insanely good at rolling that right ,but for us mere plebeians .......we have to be more fundamental.

When using that defense , your main priority is rolling that right. Everything else comes from there.
Any jabs / L-hooks etc are all distractions / ploys to get you to forget that.

Hope this helps and gives u something to play with.

In response to the first part, I did use a feint with the right hand, just to draw his eye. That said, I had 0 concern of his right hand and that was a safe combo given the opponent. Would that be true of a more experienced opponent, probably not. But that particular combo has worked really well for me due to my length and reach. I do see the risk in not "selling" that feint a bit better though.

In response to your input on the shoulder rolling, thank you! good stuff and definitely something I will be more aware of. Much appreciated. I'd like to think that I was being a bit lazy and therefore overconfident given the guy I was working with is a very "green" boxer. Still, bad habits aren't always so obvious until they become exploited by someone who can identify them. So I do appreciate you pointing that out, give me a chance to fix that the easy way vs. taking a right hand upside the head.

Actually , taking a shots upside the head is how you'll get better at this defense.
You have to spar lots n lots to train the right reactions and reactions is what makes this defense , compared to the traditional high guard.

Ever wonder why almost every defensive whiz you can think of is drooling in a bucket somewhere ?

:)

You've been lurking for years but only created an account this year?!

You've been lurking for years but only created an account this year?!

No , me am having account before but this farangs played the haterade on me.
Now I sit outside my gym in soi number 6 meditating on the Buddha.

I'm having my 247th fight in 2 hours and then it's som tam and sexy party from then on.

Later matey .......got some shrimp on the barby and I think my dingo ate a baby !

No , me am having account before but this farangs played the haterade on me.
Now I sit outside my gym in soi number 6 meditating on the Buddha.

I'm having my 247th fight in 2 hours and then it's som tam and sexy party from then on.

Later matey .......got some shrimp on the barby and I think my dingo ate a baby !

Lol iseewhatyoudidthere.jpg

Where are you training out of, Frode - which gym?

Not a big gym. We are a gang of 10-20 people training in a small place. We are only two people who are experienced. Me and a big dutch bear.

You missed a lot, my friend. Check out the archives. It should have that thread you are looking for.

Holy shit! Payak was a fake?!!! But he had a broken accent! A freakin broken accent!!! Now I don't believe in anything. Calling everyone a "faarang". Maybe Sinister isn't real either.

Back to the thread though: Agree with Sullivan. You look great in your vids, great kicks as always. but need to up the level of sparring partner skill. Your partner looked pretty bad. I did see some karate in there with his roundhouses.

yeah. he was a karate guy who started training with us a few month ago. He is like a light version of machida.

You have a good Dutch Kickboxing stance.
Good flow, smooth, efficient.

Could pivot more on kicks and arch your back to get a good swing in but you guys seemed to be doing lighter but steady sparring.

I wanna see a fight video if availlable.

Last edited:
i got very strong kicks. i seem to hurt my sparringpartners with full motion kicks. anyway this was just light flowsparring without shinguards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back