Video of Edson Carvalho training ....SICK JUDO THROWS

I love it when clubs have both 'Judo and BJJ' in the name.

wow apparently this is a 30 min round of randori.good video

Took his lumps there alright, when you are outclassed like that Ive always found it good to go for some awkward gripping and try and work in your best technique to offer up some resistance, that dude looked like he mentally gave up very early on.

nice! Edson is coming to Croatia in may to my club to hold some seminars!

What's the history on this bloke? Initially judo (5th dan?) but looks like a BJJer and MMAer also?

Damn - looked like he was pissed that someone hit his car and he was taking it out on that dude. Some fantastic throws in there - wish I could pull of one tenth of what he was doing.

Edson "Baiano" Carvalho is a black belt under Carlson Gracie. A very good teacher here in Brasil...

Not enough attacking once grips are established. A good Judo player isn't going to let you take your grip and hang out that long... but I suppose if he was trying to give his student a chance to work, it's not too bad. The throws looked really good... with a few exceptions.

Not enough attacking once grips are established. A good Judo player isn't going to let you take your grip and hang out that long... but I suppose if he was trying to give his student a chance to work, it's not too bad. The throws looked really good... with a few exceptions.

I think uke being exhausted had a lot to do with it as well though, but I agree, he offered no attacks at all and took a pounding.

Does 5th dan seem a bit optimistic to you? I didnt think he looked polished enough for that level, any 5th and over Ive seen looks more perfect in the kazushi than this dude did.

I think uke being exhausted had a lot to do with it as well though, but I agree, he offered no attacks at all and took a pounding.

Does 5th dan seem a bit optimistic to you? I didnt think he looked polished enough for that level, any 5th and over Ive seen looks more perfect in the kazushi than this dude did.

When I said there was not enough attacking happening after the establishment of grips, I was talking about both men. As I said, the sensei may have just been trying to give his student time to react, but if so, there was not enough reacting going on. His student should have been attacking, or breaking the grip. That being said, the comment on the video says that it WAS after 30 minutes of randori and he was exhausted... but if he is so exhausted that he can't practice good Judo, what's the point?

As far as the 5th dan goes... I don't know. At first glance I would say "no", but there were moments that his ability really seemed to shine though and I am thinking that being tired played a big part in the sloppiness factor. I have a feeling that we would have seen a vastly different person at the beginning of randori.

I'm a huge fan of the way this guy rolls. I wish I had access to this type of BJJ training. Everything up here starts on your knees.

I will have chance to meet him, he is coming soon in Croatia to do a few seminars cool

What's the history on this bloke? Initially judo (5th dan?) but looks like a BJJer and MMAer also?

He is a 5th dan in judo and a 4th dan in ju jitsu under Carlson Gracie,He also trained with Mehdi in Rio.He was the world champion in bjj and judo in the same year.I think it was 1991.He also did Vale Tudo back in the 90's and a couple in the past few years.He is a legend in Brazil training with Other legends like Mario Sperry,Bustamante,Liberio,and others.

When I said there was not enough attacking happening after the establishment of grips, I was talking about both men. As I said, the sensei may have just been trying to give his student time to react, but if so, there was not enough reacting going on. His student should have been attacking, or breaking the grip. That being said, the comment on the video says that it WAS after 30 minutes of randori and he was exhausted... but if he is so exhausted that he can't practice good Judo, what's the point?

As far as the 5th dan goes... I don't know. At first glance I would say "no", but there were moments that his ability really seemed to shine though and I am thinking that being tired played a big part in the sloppiness factor. I have a feeling that we would have seen a vastly different person at the beginning of randori.

Have you ever done 30 min straight of randori? Very tiring.Also Edson had major knee surgery a couple months before and that was one of this 1st training sessions since the surgery

Back