Victory Is Your Duty - PBS documentary on junior cuban amateurs (MUST WATCH)

It is a good documentary. I had to feel for that kid who was over the weight limit and was crying. Weighing 3x a day is a bit much.

Wow, that coach is so human. I would have thought the coach would be a serious, emotionless stereotypical communist coach (Rocky 4-esque) but he's just a really nice guy. Seeing him cry after having to make the cuts was touching. Great show.

Yes, what better way to educate yourself on life in other countries than Rocky 4. The women in cuba are all like Ludmilla Drago!

Wow thanks for that documentary. It actually brought tears to my eyes.

PBS always has very good documentaries.

how come all cuban boxers are black. i guess it has to do with poverty?

Yes, what better way to educate yourself on life in other countries than Rocky 4. The women in cuba are all like Ludmilla Drago!

:icon_chee

& that's for the link TS, watching now and it's a real good documentary...

pbs always pumps out the best documentaries ever. ill give it a watch

Well made. An interesting look at another culture that has its apparent strengths and flaws in creating great boxers, and hopefully good men.

maybe it's just the clothes, but in that shot of gamboa, barthelemy, and solis defecting in part 3, solis looks significantly trimmer. hell, it didn't take too long for them to debut after deserting, yet solis put on a lot of weight in that little time span.

maybe it's just the clothes, but in that shot of gamboa, barthelemy, and solis defecting in part 3, solis looks significantly trimmer. hell, it didn't take too long for them to debut after deserting, yet solis put on a lot of weight in that little time span.

Solis competed at 91kg (201lbs) WELL into his amateur career, and defeated Felix Savon a couple times. In fact, he was fighting at the 91kg limit just a year or so before turning pro, and beat Savon in their olympic trials in '04 but Savon went anyway for some unknown reason.

Great video. I love watching things like this. It must be so hard for those kids to have to diet so much like they do. And being away from their parents at such a young age. These kids are forced to grow up so fast. I couldnt imagine american kids having to do this. I would have never made it. Those kids got heart. More than me.

Very good docu.. thanks for sharing.. I was shocked by how emotionally connected all these people were. That was great.. after living in a place where simply saying hello to you're neighbor is a rare thing..

Can we get a group hug?

Back