Vibration training could increase initial rate of force development & flexibility

spirez

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I work in a health club and was speaking to a member who was telling me how he had shockingly tight hamstrings but when stretching on a power plate, he saw massive flexibility gains and could touch his toes relatively easily.

Any of you guys have any experience with them, particularly for flexibility?

.Power Plate

I found this over on the Precision Nutrition forums. The part in bold is of particular interest:

I just wanted to offer my thoughts on vibration training. First of all, just a quick correction, the author referred to above is "Matt Jordan" not "Matt Jones". I know this because that was my paper : ) Anyhow, here are some thoughts:

1. A lot of companies overstate the potential benefits of vibration training. For example, ten minutes of vibration won't turn your body into that of a Greek God. In fact, evidence suggests vibration elicits a muscle contraction (tonic vibration reflex) and this muscle contraction is of mild to moderate intensity. It also has a similar CV effect to that of moderate exercise.

2. In my experience, vibration has a profound effect on the following qualities: elastic strength, flexibility (these are well documented). I use vibration post-injury, to improve flexibility both acutely and chronically, and as part of my elastic strength development programs.

3. Our lab has found vibration may have an attenuation effect on fatigue especially during elastic and ballistic movements. For example, we have found a significantly smaller drop-off during repeat sprints with vibration in the rest intervals.

4. For those who are interested in some science, vibration has been shown to reduce presynaptic inhibition of the Ia afferents of the muscle spindle. This "potentiates or augments" the stretch reflex pathway. Recent studies from the world of proprioceptive training have proposed that this mechanism may partially explain the increase in initial rate of force development seen after a proprioceptive training protocol. Initial rate of force development (IRFD) or starting strength is tough quality to develop in the weight room and has often considered mostly based on genetics. My pet theory is that vibration may serve as another tool to improve IRFD. So I have started using vibration with a lot of my fighters (boxers, kickboxers, MMA) as a tool to help improve hand speed.

5. Lastly, vibration is not for everyone... there is a risk for injury if used inappropriately)

(please excuse typos)

Matt Jordan

This guy has worked with Berardi and elite level athletes so i'd say he knows his stuff

Jordan Strength - The Science Of Strength Development > Welcome

Welcome to Vibrogym

a new 'gym' opened near me with this brand. they even brought them to my work for people to try and get a free workout.

The people who really felt a workout were people who don't go to the gym, but just did normal stuff like dips and squats on the machine and they were all stiff and thought it really worked. I didn't notice anything that way.

However I really enjoyed a 'massage' from the machine. they ramped up the vibrations and I put my feet and wrists on the plate (at different times) and it really really loosened them up.

There was another person with chronic knee problems and it made him feel amazing.

So I think it could be good for pre/re - hab and stretching. As for a real workout I think it would be the suck.

bump with title change to get more interest as this could be something pretty significant.

I definitely wouldn't try it to substitute a real workout but i imagine it could be very useful within a warmup with bodyweight exercises.

I don't know what you're talking about but at this gym I used to go to there were these two footplate things that vibrate up and down and you can turn it up to 10 and it feels wicked intense. Supposed to be for fat loss or something but...

I did squat hard and I have a problem with super-tight muscles so I stepped on this thing and it was awesome - it felt awesome - more of a massage than anything.

It really was good after heavy squats, I think I recovered faster too.

The end.

Back