Vettori back in training

I found Vettori tough AF, a solid fighter with a good ground game, but his striking still looks basic.
He fought a very good striker like Izzy and ended with to visible damage at all.
He came up to the fight with a clear plan: pressure Izzy against the fence and put it down. The plan failed because his striking was predictable and his footwork limited, apart from slow hands. But even with that he managed to score several TDs, and then he was unable to impose his better grappling.
I like Vettori, but he will need more, much much more, to defeat Izzy, really.

Sorry but this seems like it’s just for show. Like “see those leg kicks didn’t hurt me I’m already training again”

He is though as shit, no lie there. He'll be fine once his striking comes along a bit.

He’s a tough motherfucker and took no damage whatsoever. He’s trying to work away that loss from his memory. Can’t blame him.

As dumb and mediocre as he is, his toughness is something else.

Can train as much as you want, you have peaked and cant see you making any more improvements apart from fitness and strength.

Maybe when Izzy retires or moves up, then you can take it

The guys resolve seems to be second to none. You just can't get him to take a step backwards. He walked izzy down the whole fight, and he's continuing that push forward in the gym. Guy has a lot of mental fortitude.

If Vettori has a little bit of kicking game. He might have won. Just being a wrestler boxer isn't enough to beat Israel. Jan kept Israel honest with a basic kicking game in addition to punching. You need to take him down in the center. He moves back to defend takedowns and moves to the center to attack. Marvin needs to time it and take his chances. He wasted a lot of strength taking Israel down. Don't be scared to pass the guard.

I mean if he is dumb what you are<45>??
He clearly try too hard to be a character in my opinion but he is not dumb for sure...
I mean on one hand he is in the UFC and I'm not, but even I won't wear my shorts backwards.

People really underrate Vettori's defense. That's what kept him from taking so much damage to the head in both of his fights with Adesanya.

He has a striking defense rate of 63%

For reference, Adesanya has 62%, Silva has 60%, Machida has 61%, McGregor has 54%, Poirier has 54%, Holloway has 60%, and Stephen Thompson has 58%.

Being in that 63% range puts him alongside Khabib (65%) and Jones (64%).

He's not easy to hit, especially consistently. That's why Adesanya mainly attacked the legs. Adesanya has also never really been boxing heavy unless he's counter punching. On the offense we've really only seen him let his hands go against Gastelum in the later rounds.
You also have to consider that all of those fighters you mentioned have had more UFC fights against higher levels of competition. Khabib's stat is misleading since most of his fights are on the ground with him in top, dominant position.

He took virtually no damage. Probably not much different then any day of hard sparring at Kings MMA.

Izzy dances away from the action (with his hands straight out in eye poke position) then resets. He's clearly a great athlete and very talented but that was a pretty mediocre performance.

Vettori is a really basic striker, repetitive and plodding. Israel should have been able to get more done. He never had him hurt, in any danger at any point.

Probably taking more damage from any day of hard sparring at Kings

izzy's hands are pretty dogshit in comparison to other great strikers.

Vettori is the epitome of someone who needs to hear the phrase "work smart not hard".
Dude is a workhorse with absolutely basic technique everywhere. He needs to switch it up and take some time to hone in on the details and intricacies of striking and grappling as well, it's not all about brute force and heart.
He has so much potential too. I think his best skill today is striking defense. He's very sound like that. For a plodding powerhouse he takes minimal damage in fights.

Dude is a maniac, gotta love that.

He took virtually no damage. Probably not much different then any day of hard sparring at Kings MMA.

Izzy dances away from the action (with his hands straight out in eye poke position) then resets. He's clearly a great athlete and very talented but that was a pretty mediocre performance.

Vettori is a really basic striker, repetitive and plodding. Israel should have been able to get more done. He never had him hurt, in any danger at any point.

Yea was kind of surprised by Izzy more then anything. Vettori also seemed really slow. I thought for sure we would see more in the later rounds.

sometimes heart is enough
Sometimes dead is better.
jud.jpg

I remember when BJ Penn knocked out Caol Uno, then went straight into training for the Jens Pulver fight. He didn't rest his body and paid for it with awful conditioning in a 5 round fight against the seasoned vet. OVERMOTIVATED BJ.
In all fairness, BJ had a pretty good armbar on Jens it's just that Jens wouldn't tap.

I watched to make sure he wore his pants on backwards

For a guy who always moves forward he takes very little damage. Other pressure fighters like Costa, Jiri, Diaz bros, young Gaethje etc. get hit a ton. He really deserves more credit for this.

Gets a lot of shit for being a meathead but he fights smart imo. Jusy didn't have the skills and stamina to beat Izzy

Back